Sign in to follow this  
duanester

Windows 10 is spamming EU's

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/19/windows-10-is-spamming-chrome-users-with-a-microsoft-shopping-ap/

Microsoft really wants you to install and use its products on your computer. Beyond the myriad Start menu ads plaguing Windows 10, now users have to contend with pop-ups for Redmond-made stuff if they have Google's Chrome browser installed as well. that when Chrome is pinned to the taskbar an ad for Microsoft's Personal Shopping Assistant extension hovers over the browser's familiar icon.

post-1815-0-97943200-1484956928_thumb.jpeg

This article dates back to May 2016. I use W10 and not seen the ads indicated (it mentions the start menu ads that plague W10?). However, I don't use Chrome - maybe that's the reason :huh:

well darn - you're right. I was looking at the date in one of the links (start menu ads) but the article itself is current and with more input.

Think I'll go watch my credibility spin down the drain now

Its a notification service that lots of sites / companies use not just Microsoft. You can turn of the notifications in Chrome settings. You normally get a little pop-up on the website asking if you want to allow notifications from it; say yes and you get the toast messages in the picture. No story here really, just another journo trying to be cool having a dig at Microsoft IMHO.

nigs It's me having a dig, First the start menu is plagued with ads, And now this.

Microsoft said they'd do this decade ago. They also talked about a premium ad free version.

My next dig is going to be great.

Edited by duanester

nigs It's me having a dig, First the start menu is plagued with ads, And now this.

Microsoft said they'd do this decade ago. They also talked about a premium ad free version.

My next dig is going to be great.

Well stop it!!

Seriously - I don't think we are that far away from a subscription based windows OS; I already pay £90 / year for Office 365 business for work. I guess you have to weigh up having the latest version of an OS (Or software) against having to upgrade every couple of years.

So glad I run Linux on my main rig!!