Sign in to follow this  
JustinP526

Slow Internet

I'm at a nice townhouse with some roommates, we have all noticed that the internet keeps dropping off intermittently. Tried running a speed test and get ~0.98Mbps down and ~1.09Mbps up. I'll have to check the service plan to see what we are supposed to be getting (one roommate is moving out soon, so the cable/internet was just switched over to me).

This is the equipment we have...

Service: Comcast Xfinity

Modem: ARRIS SURFboard SB6121

Router: Belkin N750DB F9K1110 V1

I was figuring I'll check the router settings, maybe changing channel will fix things since neighbors all have wifi routers too it may be interference. Tried going to 192.168.1.1 for router and it just lands on a page saying no connection and to check cables and firewall. Does Belkin use a different IP address for their routers? Pretty sure that's what I've always used for Linksys routers at least.

Any other tips for getting a good steady connection? There's even 2 or 3 connections via ethernet cable and I believe they said those are seeing the same throughput hit.

Current speed test from just now

5811590947.png

Edited by JustinP526

Now I see this for speed test result

5811810360.png

Everything is loading so slow I can't even log in to xfinity. A dial up connection would seriously load faster.

192.168.2.1 for belkin..alot depends on the speed plan you have as well...would also try resetting router and changing channel and see if there is a firmware update. slow speed could also be on comcast's end. would also try unscrewing the coaxial cable and screwing back in..

Edited by brownhornet

Any chance it could be if the router has incorrect time set?

Again I'm not seeing an option to attach a file so I can show screen shot. But in the router it shows the current time/date is January 4, 1970 and 4AM though it's currently 2PM. It shows as the correct time zone.

We got a new cable modem (one roommate moved out and took the modem with since it was his). New modem is a TP-Link TC-7620, it's compatible with Xfinity and is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that was highly recommended.

Also got the router to show the correct time now.

Internet is still horrible and often drops to below dial up speed and even continuously drops to zero throughput with a very strong connection signal.

All cables have been disconnected and then reconnected. Any ideas?

I can't really help but I am having the same problem. I had the internet provider come to my house to assist and after running tests he told me I had a fault somewhere in my telephone lines. The speed test conducted at the lead in to the house showed good rate but none of my telephone outlets in the house were good. Oops - just looked at your post again and see you aren't using a telephone line. Sorry for the post.

@ JustinP526,

Have you contacted https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/or if the link is not accurate, you would go to, or look for, Comcast Forum.

I do believe that as a "Paid Internet User" you should have full access to an online request for help from this Forum / area and advice if the Modem is suitable.

You may need to set an account (as you have here), but I know of several Moderators who do help people there (also Free).

Please let us know the result, Thank You.

@ ronc12,

This is one of the oldest scams that I.S.P's have used to buy a "better more expensive plan" or "pay extra for boosting your signal".

Most times it is 1/ the Modem or 2/ your internal wiring (but that is for "very old" houses with old internal copper wiring, or houses that have multiple phone outlets without "filters" on the other outlets.

I have found that I now only use a Modem that my I.S.P will supply or recommend.

I currently run at least, 1 W8.1 desktop (hard wired) one W7.1 laptop wirelessly, one (or more) iPhones, 1 Kindle, and my house phone (2 units) runs via my modem (free calls to normal lines not 1900 calls or cell phones).

I have also plugged in several other desktop and laptop units (for diagnostics) and all runs very good.

My current plan is 25Mb/s down, and it is now usually within 2Mb/s up or down from there.

Thanks noknojon but they didn't try to sell me a better plan or anything else. They simply stated that the problem appeared to be the telephone wiring within my house. There recommended solution was to have an electrician run a new dedicated line to the modem. I do have multiple phone outlets in my house and I do have filters on all the outlets where I have phones. I also have the modem supplied by the ISP. This week I plan on contacting some electricians to see if they can trouble shoot my phone lines or run a new dedicated line to my modem.

I found out that the xfinity plan we have is the X1 cable with "blast" internet. We get I believe 5TB data, but there's no mention of throughput speed.

I've had a few people in the area tell me that the electric is not reliable and power surges could have fried the router. I'm going to try switching router and see if that helps.

Moved into a new apartment (again) and still stuck having to use Comcast (xfinity). Well got a new service setup (no b.s. of dealing with roommates this time) and it's the exact same service as what we had at the last place. Just took what Comcast gave and I see in my account info it shows 75Mbps down and 10Mbps up. Well a speed test shows much better looking service now. Guess the idiots I was living with before had something hooked up wrong or they had old broken equipment.

Oh, new place is only about 5-6 blocks over from the old place.

6114164387.png

that's good fortune - great speeds!

There is one package higher (Extreme) that they claim is 150 meg down, not sure if it's really that good. Might upgrade to it once I start seeing pay raise on my checks.

Moved into a new apartment (again) and still stuck having to use Comcast (xfinity). Well got a new service setup (no b.s. of dealing with roommates this time) and it's the exact same service as what we had at the last place. Just took what Comcast gave and I see in my account info it shows 75Mbps down and 10Mbps up. Well a speed test shows much better looking service now. Guess the idiots I was living with before had something hooked up wrong or they had old broken equipment.

Oh, new place is only about 5-6 blocks over from the old place.

6114164387.png

Likely had a mess of noise on the line. That's the problem w/coax, if the signal isn't within a certain tolerable range, your service gets SEVERELY degraded.