Sign in to follow this  
Rebecca McBath

Rogue Microsoft Security Malware

Can someone please tell me why PC Matic isn't catching this? I have gotten it twice on my own laptop and once on another laptop that PC Matic is supposed to be protecting. Also, how to make sure the malware is removed? I'm disappointed that PC Matic isn't protecting our machines from this.

Thanks for the additional information.

When you are seeing this "Rogue Microsoft Security Malware" is this when you are in a browser on the internet?

One of those windows that comes up and pretends to be from Microsoft and wants you to "Call This Number" ?

Or is this something else that you can describe for us?

Thanks for your assistance.

What you ran into during this incident is a new advertising tactic that malware/scareware authors are throwing out onto the internet.

The specifics of what you encountered are essentially an advertisement that has a rotating script built into it to keep it alive. (This is why it was so hard to get out of it)

The Edge browser in Windows 10 has become primary target.

The good news is that nothing malicious is actually put on or running on the computer. It is not a virus or a Trojan, it is a scripted advertisement.

It's entire mission is to scare people into calling their phone number so that they can then frighten you out of your money by making you believe that you are infected and that they are there to rescue you for a price.

We are actively working with our developers to be the only ones out there to stop this pollution. It's tricky as they change their tactics all the time, but that is not stopping us from our pursuit.

In the meantime, especially if you are in the Edge browser and you encounter this scourge again, please run through the following exercise and you'll get rid of it quickly.

If the Edge browser in Windows 10 has been locked up, please do the following:

Open the Edge browser window.

Right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (Admin)

then type or copy/paste the following:

taskkill /im MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe /f

Sometimes with these "rotating" scam pages, it has to be done a couple of times.

Next click on the 3 dots on the upper right of the browser, go to settings, then click "Choose what to clear" under Clear browsing data.

Click the "Clear" button

Close and reopen Edge.

For any other browsers, you can follow these guides:

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Y, can we/they not block this in Chrome/Firefox through the PCM Ad Blocking extension? I know it's based on uBlock Origin and will use its filter lists.

Y, can we/they not block this in Chrome/Firefox through the PCM Ad Blocking extension? I know it's based on uBlock Origin and will use its filter lists.

Yes, that is exactly where this feature is being developed.

The tricky part is getting the whole she-bang working with the "Edge" browser too.

That stupid thing is not very compliant and that's been the biggest roadblock.

We'll get there though.

:) Y