Sign in to follow this  
Psychotron

Help on putting together everything I need for a VERY fast PC

Hello. I've been searching for a very fast PC. I would love to have a computer as fast as the ones at my college. I feel lazy about asking, but I have done my research. What I've read online is experts saying things like, "You don't need 8GB RAM, 4MB is just the same." "Quad core isn't any different than dual core") It's just too much for me to understand.

Could I get somebody to put together a computer for me (maybe a small list that has things like processor, RAM, etc. that you would get if you were me) that would make a computer as fast as possible for a budget of under $2,000? Then I would know what you would get, rather than me asking about specific things (like from hp.com computer spec lists) and having people helping by only saying what I shouldn't get (or don't need).

I don't play games or anything, but if a gaming PC will give me that speed, I'll take it. All I really do on the computer is search the net, watch TV, play with pictures, MS Office etc. But it would be really worth it for me if the computer started up in just a few seconds, Firefox launches right away when clicked, etc. (like it seems to be on my school's computers).

Also, I have a graphics card that runs 3 monitors. This is what I often have running all at the same time. Sometimes it slows my computer to a crawl:

Maybe about 10-15 tabs open at once on FireFox
Watch TV in Windows Media Center
slideshow playing of maybe 800 pics in Windows Media Player
ACDSee photo editor
spotify
Pandora
MS Excel
Word
Outlook
Avast
Chrome
iCloud

Here are my specs for this computer (from DxDiag):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: p6680t
BIOS: 11/05/10 15:07:18 Ver: 6.14
Processor: Intel® Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6008MB RAM
Page File: 5337MB used, 6674MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6738)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6738&SUBSYS_174B174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 3761 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1013 MB
Shared Memory: 2747 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: BenQ GW2750H (Digital)
Monitor Model: BenQ GW2750H
Monitor Id: BNQ78C3
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: Displayport External
Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1429 (English)
Driver Version: 15.300.1025.1001
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/29/2015 16:18:56, 1497248 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: No
WHQL Date Stamp: None
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2478-11CF-6E71-4137BEC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x6738
SubSys ID: 0x174B174B
Revision ID: 0x0000
Driver Strong Name: oem86.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_NI:15.300.1025.1001:pci

Rank Of Driver: 00E62001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
DXVA-HD: Not Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

Thank you,

Brad

Personally I think you have a pretty good system that should be pretty speedy - The i5 is no slouch and with 6gb ram you have plenty of memory for your usage.

The biggest thing I could suggest would be a SSD drive to hold the OS and programmes and store any data on a standard HD. You could always upgrade the grahpics card for one with greater dedicated memory; something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487265

But it's probably overkill if you're not gaming.

If your PC is sluggish it could be other things slowing it down, background programmes etc?

Your school PCs may also just be thin clients and running of a massive server so you are reaping the speed benefit!!

you could always go with a newer CPU like a socket 1150 and a Z87 motherboard along with 8gigs of Ram and an SSD drive. the PC in my garage is running an i3 4170 @3.7,a gigabyte Z87 motherboard,8gigs of Ram and a single 64gig SSD. i also use the onboard graphics from the CPU and its very fast for everyday stuff and plays movies from netflicks and amazon in HD 1080 with no problem. for around $225 you could go to the newer platform,just reuse stuff from your current set up...memory,video card,PSU...ETC...also a fast internet connection will help while surfing the net

http://www.frys.com/product/8535049?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/8424958?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

to be honest bh, i wouldn't go for anything less than 1151 and z170 if i was to buy new now.

psychotron, thing to remember is more cores and ram the better especially when you do a lot of things at once like you describe you do.

Also, I have a graphics card that runs 3 monitors. This is what I often have running all at the same time. Sometimes it slows my computer to a crawl:

Maybe about 10-15 tabs open at once on FireFox
Watch TV in Windows Media Center
slideshow playing of maybe 800 pics in Windows Media Player
ACDSee photo editor
spotify
Pandora
MS Excel
Word
Outlook
Avast
Chrome
iCloud

so i'd be looking at something like i7 6700 with 16GB of ddr4 ram and a fast ssd along with a 1100 series nvidia graphics card.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

terry for what he uses it for the i7 6700 is complete overkill,and the 1100 series card will never be utilized especially if he doesnt game at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2MN-0004-00002#close

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128863

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104674

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2DT-00UU-00001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014

new platform with upgrade ability in the future..can use existing video card..throw in a $30 case and that should hold ya..$377 before shipping and case

Edited by brownhornet

think you're missing the point bh, there is no single thing he does that requires an i7 i'd agree, but he multi tasks to such a degree that he brings an i5 to a crawl, agreed your i3 listed may be slightly faster but he'd still be much better off going with an i7 build just because of the multi tasking.

it's not just gaming that can utilize the benefits of a 1100 series card, there are lots of other things that can too.

so see no point in spending $400 on a build out of a possible $2000 budget when what your building will be in the exact same position as you were to start with.

that's just my opinion though.

Edited by terry1966

think you're missing the point bh, there is no single thing he does that requires an i7 i'd agree, but he multi tasks to such a degree that he brings an i5 to a crawl, agreed your i3 listed may be slightly faster but he'd still be much better off going with an i7 build just because of the multi tasking.

it's not just gaming that can utilize the benefits of a 1100 series card, there are lots of other things that can too.

so see no point in spending $400 on a build out of a possible $2000 budget when what your building will be in the exact same position as you were to start with.

that's just my opinion though.

the programs he listed plus 15 tabs opened in no way needs an i7 terry,sorry to say..at the most an 1151 i5 would be more than enuff and still overkill...a $2000 build is getting up into hardcore editing/gaming both of which he doesnt do.. but if its a $2000 build then i will make a list,just hate to see money go to waste..

no problem bh, we just have different ideas, personally i always want to build a pc to the max budget i have whether i need the power or not.

and he does want a "VERY fast pc." :mrgreen:

nice, my next build for myself will probably be something along those lines.

i'm waiting to see what replaces the x99 chipset first so probably won't build until end 2017 early 2018 and i definitely want one of these as my os drive after seeing the performance of them in a build i put together for my daughter earlier in the year.:- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100011693%204814%20600488413&IsNodeId=1&cm_sp=CAT_SSD_2-_-VisNav-_-M.2_1

Great! Thanks, I was hoping for this kind of help. I will post back to give an update if the new computer actually IS very fast compared to this one.

Edit: I just want to add that, as a relative novice, I decided follow the advice on the forum sticky notes to clean up my computer before I bought a new one. I'm very disappointed about how I was absolutely tricked into downloading PC Matic and running a scan that was supposed to be free. I feel taken advantage of. It is on the PCPitstop sticky note and other places that the links it gives out are for help on cleaning the computer are to free sites. After all the time it took to scan, when it showed how bad my computer is, and I click to fix it, I'm brought to a screen where I'm required to buy PC Matic before it will fix it.

I've been going here as my primary source for computer advice, and have always preferred this site out of the other computer tech forums. But now I wonder, do some moderators here have an agenda? Could they be guiding me toward suggesting I buy something that isn't necessarily the best, but would somehow benefit PCPitstop. I've always thought highly of this site, but am now left with a bad taste in my mouth. How do I know who's telling the truth when a moderator gives me a suggestion? My guess is that PC-Matic is the best antivirus?

The sticky notes here on PCPitstop said the multiple links they give out are to different free anti-virus, anti-malware, etc services to clean my computer, but all the links actually converted, and led, to the PCMatic site that finally gave me results showing how badly I need it to clean my computer, but would only do it if I bought the service.

This is what I'm referring to: https://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/61975-virus-spyware-cleanup-prevention/

Edited by Psychotron

I'm not going to censure the above post. You have a thread open on the correct forum for your issue with links; no need for it to be here. And as a 'Moderator'; I can assure you I have no "agenda" apart from keeping the forums a good place to come for advice and help....as you are receiving here.

:tup: