Sign in to follow this  
tntroy61

Possible Windows 7 No Update Problem Again?

Possible Windows 7 No Update Problem Again.

I say possible, because I want to make sure before I go and look at the other Update problem thread here. As I said, this is now the 2nd time ( if there is a problem ) I've had this problem this year. I had it a few months back, & used something like Mr Fix It for Updates & it fixed the problem.

But before I go look at the other thread about this subject here, I want to know for sure I have it again. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. And was wondering what is the latest/last update others have had to their computers? Mine is showing 8/17 as my last update, and I usually start worrying once it gets to a week or 10 days without one. Never mind 13 days now?

So if anyone has a date, more recent then this, please leave a message here for me.

don't m$ only release security updates 1ce a month unless the last update broke something then they try and release a fix as soon as possible?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsp/g/patch-tuesday.htm

Some half-jokingly refer to the day after Patch Tuesday as Crash Wednesday, referring to the troubles that sometimes accompany a computer after the patches are installed.

I usually start worrying once it gets to a week or 10 days without one.

so no need to start worrying. ;)

:b33r:

Okie dokie & thanks everyone, for your replies :) I was just worried since I actually did had this problem a few months back. ( seems like a lot of people had it too. ) The one where the updater was running & running forever & not getting any updates. But not bringing up the "no updates" message either. I guess they called that a hanging updater? I actually left the thing trying to update all night & it was still running when I woke up.

Hi guys,

I had this problem a few months back, and it had to do with multiple profiles for the same "user" in the registry.

In checking for solutions, I came across an entry in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/kb3163018-will-not-install/b8376131-c9c4-4494-9a1f-2eb7709f1027?auth=1. Check the solution of JimHornby1744, who found "duplicate ProfileList entries." In his case the duplicates were UpdatusUser entries, of which he had 2. He deleted one and got the update to work.

In my case, I had 4 profiles registered for "user" PCPitstopSVC. After determining which one was the active profile, I deleted the rest. Windows update has been working ever since. I submitted this to the PC Pitstop help desk, and I assume they are working on a fix for their installer.

I hope this helps.

Hi guys,

I had this problem a few months back, and it had to do with multiple profiles for the same "user" in the registry.

In checking for solutions, I came across an entry in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/kb3163018-will-not-install/b8376131-c9c4-4494-9a1f-2eb7709f1027?auth=1. Check the solution of JimHornby1744, who found "duplicate ProfileList entries." In his case the duplicates were UpdatusUser entries, of which he had 2. He deleted one and got the update to work.

In my case, I had 4 profiles registered for "user" PCPitstopSVC. After determining which one was the active profile, I deleted the rest. Windows update has been working ever since. I submitted this to the PC Pitstop help desk, and I assume they are working on a fix for their installer.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Earl,

Yes, this fix is operational in PC Matic.

:) Y

Had done a clean install a couple weeks ago and not showing any updates until a small power outage the other day, then it popped up with 175 "Important Updates". :yikes:

:geezer:

A Big Thanks to everyone for their replies to my post here :) :) I finally decided I would wait until this week to see if I got any updates and like mentioned above as well. I did!~! 7 for the system and for the malware remover. I was just going to set back to back to factory settings if I hadn't. So thankfully, I won't have to go through that hours long ordeal of setting every thing back up again. lol!

just took care of mine, took 3 1/2 hours... and I omitted one that I want to try by itself later.

I chose to wait it out since doing ones in June, cause I didn't want anything related to Windows 10 on my small laptop.

just took care of mine, took 3 1/2 hours... and I omitted one that I want to try by itself later.

I chose to wait it out since doing ones in June, cause I didn't want anything related to Windows 10 on my small laptop.

At first I was going to say, "3 and a half HOURS" for 7 updates? lol. But then I quickly figured you must have meant to do all of the updates you skipped since June :)

That was the 2nd worst part about setting my computer back to factory settings back in January. Like caintry_boy said above. First there were all the updates to download and install since 7 was first issued. Then going through the whole process of setting up your account & personal settings taking another few hours. And stupidly. I had decided to start doing it around 10:30 PM. lol. I was up to around 5 in the morning doing it.

I reformatted a windows 7 for a friend with a restore disk, took 12+ hours

I don't do that no more.....

Is reformatting a big name for wiping the hard drive clean? That's one thing I'd like to know how to do. Because I reset my first Windows 7 back to factory settings once, and then this one too. Which from what I understand is like, it takes the that part of the system & part-ions it ( much like quarantining a virus ) from the rest of the drive? And then you just are reinstalling windows back on it? I'd rather just know how to wipe the drive clean first, then reinstall windows. ( Ok, now I just read what a reset to factory settings was. And it says that does wipe the HD clean. ) But it must leave something behind, some where. Because my Hard drive was around 20 GBs smaller then it originally was, lol. ( I guess that could be for the system they use to rest it back? ) I have a 2TB hard drive, but only 1.8 is available to use.

( my first Windows 7 died from an over heating problem. Which I blame partly on the hard & heavy use I do to my computers. As well as a bad design to the case on what is called a "slim" case. It's much smaller then the original cases, as well as thinner. And only had vents on 2 sides of it. The new one I got has vents on 3 of the 4 sides, & the top. as well as vents all around the case ( instead of seals )

I have a 2TB hard drive, but only 1.8 is available to use.

that's normal and has to do with the way a hard drive needs a certain amount of space to organise itself before any data is stored on it.

think of it like this, you have a filing cabinet draw that can be filled with loads of files, only problem is you can never find what you want when you need it because it's not organised, so to organise it you put in a lot of dividers, now you can find files easily but have lost a certain amount of storage space taken up by the dividers.

well that is more or less what happens with any hard drive, so you can think of the missing 0.2TB out of your 2TB as the dividers.

I dug out a HP NX6325 laptop with win xp pro on it, I thought heck I'll put win7 on it.

All was going fine til the 287+ updates showed up. I got so mad waiting for them to install. I went back to win xp pro.

Why doesn't win7 have a easier way to get them ?.

Edited by Wayne

All was going fine til the 287+ updates showed up. I got so mad waiting for them to install. I went back to win xp pro.

Why doesn't win7 have a easier way to get them ?.

in my opinion i think it's a m$ tactic so people will upgrade to a new win 10 os.

so instead of making windows 7 updates unavailable and forcing people to upgrade they just make the servers very slow so getting and installing them all for a clean os install takes hr's if not days.

no idea if that's correct or not but it's my conspiracy theory and i'm sticking to it. :laughing:

as an after thought maybe something here :- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616671/what-is-going-on-with-windows-update/

can help you speed things up if you decide to try again.

in my opinion i think it's a m$ tactic so people will upgrade to a new win 10 os.

so instead of making windows 7 updates unavailable and forcing people to upgrade they just make the servers very slow so getting and installing them all for a clean os install takes hr's if not days.

no idea if that's correct or not but it's my conspiracy theory and i'm sticking to it. :laughing:

as an after thought maybe something here :- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616671/what-is-going-on-with-windows-update/

can help you speed things up if you decide to try again.

LOL :)

Another update. I tried to install win7 again and the hard drive got really super HOT during the install and while it was doing the 3 million(lol)win7 updates.

I'm thinking the HD is shot.... Yes/No ?.

Edited by Wayne

only way to know is to run some test on it i'd think.

just go to the drives manufacturer site and download their drive diagnostic software and see what it reports about it health.

if a drive is getting to hot then i'd suggest adding a fan to keep it cooler, really i'd think you'd want your drive never to go over 40c, and be around 30C usually but from my understanding some drives in a laptop for example can reach 60c without problems.

i think drives that are to cold (less than 25c) or to hot (higher than 50c) have a higher failure rate, but don't think just because a drive runs hot means it's failing or "shot".

Terry, its super hot to the touch. it almost burns your fingers. I'm not messing with it anymore.

I ordered a 60gb SSD for $6 on Amazon. i got it this way for the $6..( SSD Samples for testing are available!)

Heres the SSD. https://www.amazon.com/KingDian-Internal-Solid-Desktop-Laptop/dp/B018K3AV7A/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1474639775&sr=1-5&keywords=60gb+ssd

It should work very well for the old laptop...... your advice on it please, if you have one.

know nothing about the make and can't see it being a great drive, but lets be honest for $6 you've nothing to lose.

If you absolutely need to stretch your pennies, the Kingdian S200 isn’t a bad choice if you just need a basic 60GB SSD, and you’ll still notice the incredible improvement in terms of boot times, application load times, and overall system performance when compared to a mechanical hard drive. And despite its low price tag, it surprisingly does use name brand NAND and comes with a three year warranty, I’m not so sure that dealing with Kingdian if it does die would be any fun, but if budget is your #1 concern then the Kingdian is the SSD for you.

http://www.michaelstaake.com/three-budget-60gb-ssds-reviewed-kingston-ssdnow-v300-vs-patriot-torch-vs-kingdian-s200/

Another update. That 60gb ssd wasn't worth the $6 bucks = JUNK. I ended up getting a 1T segate drive and I love it.

Everything is running very nice and I had no problems with the win7 updates this time.

Edited by Wayne