Sign in to follow this  
xyphr3

Hard Drive Short DST Check Failed HELP

Good evening to THE PIT! Long time no seeking help...which I suppose is good for me. I have a HP pavilion 23 that my friend said broke 2 days ago and I am trying to help get it fixed or at least confirm it is dead. So yesterday, every time I turned on the computer, it gave me a blue screen that said, no hard disk found. Today, it said preparing automatic repair...then took me to a screen that said to refresh the computer (ie. reinstall windows) or more options...the more options I could run check disk, system restore, check for diagnostic errors, etc etc. I did everything, I did a system restore, said it was a successful restore to the previous version (4 days ago) and when I restarted the computer, it gave me the same "preparing automatic repair. Took the computer apart, took out the battery, tried a hard reboot to see if that could fix the problem...it didn't...so finally I found my way to a different option to check the HDD itself. It ran a quick test (60 seconds max) and came back with the error of "Hard Drive Short DST Check - fail"? So I figure I am dead in the water. I took the hard drive out and slaved it to my computer and I can see all the files, it acts like it works fine...so I did some google searches, found a program called CrystalDiskInfo and it tells me caution on the drive. GREAT! ugh. So I guess I need help with either fixing it or proving it is no-fixable and tell him to purchase a new HDD/computer. So what can I try to do?

I don't know much about the computer itself. think it is windows 8, WDD (green label) drive. HP Pavilion 23 (aka it's a black one, haha...touch screen too)

P.S. Forgot to mention, I downloaded the Western digital data lifeguard, ran a fast disk scan on the affected drive, error came back almost immediately

wdclogo.gif

Test Option: QUICK TEST Model Number: WDC WD10EADS-65M2B0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WMAV51644851 Firmware Number: 01.00A01 Capacity: 1000.20 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2! Test Time: 21:29:51, August 11, 2016 Edited by xyphr3

I run WD Blacks - And like C_B says time to buy a new drive!

If it runs on yours to access files I would get everything off it before it fails completely!!

Two questions

First, It says I need permission to perform this action when copying information off the hard drive. How do I get around that? Or is that more system information I really don't need.

Second, can I perform an .ISO and when I get a new harddrive just dump it back on? It's been ages since I've down anything like that, what is a good program to use (if this is a feasible option)

Two questions

First, It says I need permission to perform this action when copying information off the hard drive. How do I get around that? Or is that more system information I really don't need.

Second, can I perform an .ISO and when I get a new harddrive just dump it back on? It's been ages since I've down anything like that, what is a good program to use (if this is a feasible option)

System files (Windows files) may need permissions to move. But to back up photo's, music etc you should be OK to drag and drop to your own storage or another attached drive.

To clone the HD (providing none of the widows files are corrupt you may be able to use something like Paragon and clone the drive. Never used it myself but I know other people on here have recomended it.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

Thanks caintry_boy, I will try to clone the drive to a new hard drive. it would not let me create an .ISO with Paragon, but that would be something completely different.

Next question, a friend said that new computer (granted this is a friend that lives in the UK and I am in Texas) states that the OEM number (normally found on a sticker with the windows cd that was thrown away when the computer was bought) is now on the computer tower somewhere? Is that true? So I wouldn't have to buy a new windows cd assuming the windows number is on the computer itself?

Or, is there a program I can use to find the OEM code off the hard drive (when slaved) even though I can't pull windows from the drive itself?

***Update***

So my understanding is, from my google research, now and days the OEM is stored in the BIOS...so if I install a windows 8.0 version, the bios should automatically verify the product key for me?

Edited by xyphr3