Sign in to follow this  
JustinP526

What is the problem here?

We have 80 meg service and it keeps dropping to 0 Kbps and giving error messages about no internet and bad DNS something or other. Dial up would move faster than this!!

How do I diagnose what the actual problem is? I have to reboot the router every 5 minutes or less in order to keep connected.

And again I don't see any option to attach a screenshot so I can show what I see on my screen....

No, wasn't sure if it would run in Linux.. but I have Win8.1 back on my machine again now, so guess I'll give it a go.

Thanks!

*EDIT*

Well it installed, but trying to run it just crashes.

Edited by JustinP526

have you had anyone come out and check the lines.i was having the same issue last week where i was connected then no connection. when i was connected i wasnt getting my paid for speed,even bought new modem and router..when they came to service my house they found a cable underground that was corroded..i was getting 100down but after the cable was fixed im getting my rated speed..see pic..has to be on their end im guessing... http://www.speedtest.net/result/5452799538.png

Edited by brownhornet

We've called them and they keep insisting it's our problem. Well we haven't yet got a new modem or router so who knows. But they refuse to send someone out to check their lines. I'm not sure if there's any buried cable anywhere that could be a problem, the one that comes to the house is a drop from utility pole.

Guess we'll just have to look into modem and router first and then make them (Comcast) send out a tech to check the lines. Besides for that, I'm just waiting as patiently as possible for my new apartment to be ready for move in.

The neighbors here have the same problem.. we all have said it seems to be just how things go in this county (Cook). Then again, I think there is just something going on in this particular house that is causing way too much interference. It's either something with the lousy electrical system (30+ years old, never serviced) or the 20+ year old HVAC system that has far too much duct work with over sized ducts.

Then again, could even be the crazy paranoid neighbor who has tons of CCTV cameras all over his building. He seriously has higher security than a bank!

Going to be so nice to be back in DeKalb (3 counties west of Chicago) where there's far less crazy people. Only draw back there is being right by NIU and dealing with all the wild college kids.

As far as any servicing to the drop lines.. not really sure on things. There was a nice good derecho storm that passed thru here back in August of 2012 with 80 MPH wind gusts. It took down a tree 3 houses over, tree fell on the power lines and one of the utility poles snapped in half like a tooth pick! No clue if they put all new cables up when it was all fixed, or if the old original cables were just reused. Neighbors garage and cars were damaged as well and it took 6 months for them to get it all repaired under insurance.

*EDIT*

Here's a speedtest result from just now. Looks a lot nicer, but still think it should be higher.

5455433606.png

Edited by JustinP526

The xfinity router is the culprit, Something up with either the ipv6 settings or DNS, which ever my android 5++ devices drag badly.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=android%205.0%20and%20slow%20xfinity

Maybe if you do what i did, I hooked another router to their's and use that, everything is lightning fast.

Hope that helps, No need for THANKYOU :)

Edited by duanester

I'm pretty sure the modem was provided by Comcast (xfinity).. but the router was purchased by family from Target. I'm not sure if there's any trouble with connection or throughput on the main PC that is connected via ethernet cable, but all the other devices that connect via wifi keep having problems with connection dropping.

I currently use my Android phone via Google Voice to get free calling/texting via VOIP until I get my new phone that will be on standard cell service (in about a week). Just need to have some way of being contacted about jobs and info I need in regards to my new apartment.

I did just download a couple of opensuse iso's via direct download and even as torrent. They downloaded super fast and I seen in uTorrent a down speed of 1.5 MB/s which showed in task manager as 14.8 Mbps

So why is it that I can download a 4GB OS iso file in less than 3 minutes, but then trying to load webpages takes forever and seems like waiting on a dial up connection?

Even more reason why it's the router!

That router will not utilize xfinity technology, It has to be an xfinity approved router.

just for info and no help to the topic in general.

I did just download a couple of opensuse iso's via direct download and even as torrent. They downloaded super fast and I seen in uTorrent a down speed of 1.5 MB/s which showed in task manager as 14.8 Mbps

So why is it that I can download a 4GB OS iso file in less than 3 minutes, but then trying to load webpages takes forever and seems like waiting on a dial up connection?

no idea why the difference between the torrent and task manager but 1.5MB is equal to 12Mb. not 14.8Mb task manager shows. after all there is 8 (b)its to 1 (B)yte.

and there's no way on earth you can download a 4.7GB iso in 3 minutes at 1.5MBs.
4.7GB is about 4812MB,

so 4812 divided by 1.5 equals about 3,208 seconds which equals about 53 and a half minutes.
not the 3 minutes you say it took you.

to download it in 3 minutes you'd need a download speed of about 27MBs or 216Mbs.

:b33r:

not really sure what xfinity has to do with anything here duan, from my understanding that is a mobile phone app that allows the phone to use xfinity wifi hotspots when it can't connect to the mobile network.

and all an xfinity router will do is allow anyone to use your routers wifi that has the xfinity app installed.

Edited by terry1966

I really have no clue, but that's the speeds I seen on uTorrent and task manager and it really took only about 3-5 minutes. Maybe it wasn't the 4GB one... I can't remember.

A new router was just purchased, but having trouble getting it to actually connect. I'm going to take a look and make sure it's getting hooked up right later today. All I know is family said they paid about $300 for it and that it should just work when it cost that much.

I'd have to guess that it's probably a wireless AC router. I'll report back on what happens and any important info later on, shouldn't take long for me to get it up and working. And I've got the day off work for dr. appointment so the rest of the day can be spent doing what ever I like!

no where near what you pay for..if modem and router are working fine then its on their end or at the very least they should be able to tell ya what it might be

Terry a few years bruce helped me with a dns issue related to xfinity , running opensuse, I couldn't browse the web yet i could ping sites and check for updates, to this day we have issues with ios and android plus one windows machine, we are using their top of the line router with blast service.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfinity-arris-touchstone-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-and-wireless-router-with-telephony-adapter-black/9082028.p?id=1219405801606&skuId=9082028&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=b73d999f-20ea-4e06-ade5-b447c56f38de&ksprof_id=401&ksaffcode=pg26505&ksdevice=c&ref=212&loc=1

Well thanks very much for all the help and input, much appreciated!!

I don't know if it matters, but the last router we had (Linksys E2500), I had set it up and in the router setup screen I set it to run only via openDNS servers. As far as it goes with this one, I'm going to leave it alone. Can't remember the brand of modem, but it's supplied by Comcast (they rent it to us) and I do know it's a Docsis 3.0 and not that old. Think I'll call and see if I can convince them to send out a tech to check out the drop line.

No clue what the problem is here, but it seems to be something with the new router.

The router is brand new, Linksys wrt1900acs

http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT1900ACS/

It keeps dropping connection to almost every wireless device. During setup it goes to the router login (192.168.1.1) and asks for some password. We've tried using the passcode that is on the sticker on the bottom of the router and it gives an error saying "incorrect login"

We thought it means a password for the network from ISP (Comcast/Xfinity) but putting that password gave the same error.

This thing was a complete waste of $300!! They are seriously making these devices harder and harder to use just to aggravate people.

password to get into the router should be admin. Typically Linksys routers default as username and password both being admin.

The passcode on the sticker should be for the wireless network.

It also should have come with a manual that tells you that. Here (I think) is an online version. http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/1224701614608/MAN_WRT1900AC_8820-01897_RevA00_EN_FR-CA_Comprehensive.pdf

Yep, you're right.. I was able to sign in by using admin as password. Don't know if there's some wrong settings or what, it keeps dropping connection every few minutes or so.

May not be the problem... but I've seen this behavior several time when there is a cordless phone in the home. Both operate on the 2.5ghz wavelength (though yours also works on 5ghz). The older 900mhz radios were more stable but didn't have the same range. If there is a cordless phone in the home... you can try changing the channel on the router. The farther they are away from each other the better. Both physically and channell wise.

I knew a guy who kept getting connected from his wireless, but finally figured out it only happened when he was using the computer and then tried to use the phone. He could not use his laptop and his cordless phone at the same time. I know another guy who got kicked off every time the phone rang. His telephone base station was pretty close to his router so I suspect that had alot to do with it. He solved his problem by using a wired connection instead of wifi.

I knew another guy who was able to stabalize his connection by changing channels. He lived in a three story apartment and I suspect he was on the same channel as a neighbor as his problem only manifested in the afternoon. Things worked fine in the morning or during the day... but about dinnertime everything went squirrely.

Nope, all cordless phones have been unplugged since there's no longer any home phone service (can't afford it).

I've even noticed that my phone gets a better connection to the wifi when I go outside and about 5 feet away from the house.