Sign in to follow this  
JustinP526

Upgrade OS and Root?

I have an LG Optimus Exceed 2 (prepaid on Verizon), it runs Android KitKat 4.4.2

I'm wondering if it's possible to root the phone and upgrade it Marshmallow... the system updater does not show any OS upgrades available. I assume this is because Verizon doesn't have it available to their customers yet.

At this time I actually don't even use the Verizon service on the phone. I get VOIP service to it via Google Voice and Hangouts app. I only did this as a way to make and receive calls/texts (free in US) until I'm able to start a steady job and pay for actual service. That should be in the next ~2 weeks!!

I will be putting a 32GB microSD card in the phone as well, the stock 4GB is not nearly enough!

Would I have to have the microSD card installed at the time of rooting and all? Is rooting done via the phone itself, or via PC connection to my computer (which runs OpenSUSE Linux)?

I may not need the phone to last very long, should be getting a new one in the next month or so. This would still be a good learning experience though.

This is the phone (shows as no longer available at Best Buy, that's where I got it for $15):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-wireless-prepaid-lg-optimus-exceed-2-no-contract-cell-phone-black/5941013.p?id=1219172227195&skuId=5941013&cmp=RMX&ref=P10T12R103&loc=BODY&CampaignID=755011&SubscriberID=298656463&eut=2809396012&track=recClick&eapi=true&ep=rc-mv,dr-all,av-4.3,mv-0.1,ds-mv,rk-3

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-VS450PP-optimus-exceed-2

Thanks very much!!

You can try this directly from the phone for root. https://towelroot.comIf it works, go to the Play store and install SuperSu and BusyBox. Then you can start googling for custom recovery(ies) and roms.

XDA is your starting point:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Me and TX have been rooting phones since the old days of having to create gold cards and pushing instructions via ADB to root the damn things; but as the post says towel root is a good 1 press rooting tool.

I would do some reading up first before you hit the 'Make it Rain' button as an old working phone is better than a bricked new phone!

As for ROMS first after you have installed busy box and SU you will need a custom recovery: Philz or CWM are the best in my opinion; these have a system backup option; so if anything goes wrong you can simply recover the old system. They also have the tools you need to do factory and Dalvik cache resets. I always install recoveries via Odin (again do your research); but you will need a PC for this. I think you can also do it via Goo Manager which is a phone app.

The ROMS themselves; after a very quick google I can't find anything for your model; but the phone maybe known as something else in other countries. As it's discontinued by Verizon there might not have been much development beyond Lollipop for it.

Also some of your apps may not run on a rooted phone; banking apps for example; so again be aware of this. Rooting won't overcome the pitiful 4gb of memory; but a lite rom will free up space the install a Gapps lite package and you may be ok.

You tube guide:

Oh.. well now I'm not sure what to do... it's only a $15 phone, so not a horrible loss if something happens to it. The thing seems to have a memory leak or something too, been removing apps and yet it keeps getting lower and lower on storage. Can't stand trying to use the thing for any kind of web browsing on the go since I can't install any ad blocker and the ads prevent content from loading at all.

If rooting may prevent a bank app, then that may ruin everything if I add the app for my bank (Chase)...

Although, I should have another phone as of next friday (June 17), so guess I could still research and try it out on this one anyways just for the sake of learning a new skill.

Although, I should have another phone as of next friday (June 17), so guess I could still research and try it out on this one anyways just for the sake of learning a new skill.

TBH; I would wait; get the new phone and experiment with the old.

Thanks... don't think I'll be getting the new phone after all. It was shipped to a temporary address that I had been staying at for the past month and a half. We got evicted from there on May 31 and the phone wasn't delivered until June 10. Now it's being held at the Post Office until I can pick it up. Only I'm able to do so as I'll have to show ID to get it. Well, I'm in Chicago area and it's at the Post Office in DeKalb, which is about 60 miles west of Chicago. Unless I can figure some way to make up some more cash and be able to rent a car without needing a credit card, they will be sending it back as of June 17. So not really sure what to do now.

Hmmm, didn't know that Greyhound had such a route... not sure how it works, but looks like I'd have to go downtown Chicago to get on the bus. And at about $19-$20 for one way trip.... I'd be better off just renting the pickup truck from U Haul, which, should total up to about $35 per day ($19.95 + taxes and fees). Maybe I can just rent it for the weekend and be able to knock out a ton of stuff all at once! Get to a few job interviews, pick up package, look at some apartments (unless I can get the one I really want) and possibly even do some side work so the truck pays for itself!!

https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/Pickup-Rental/BP/

Bonus points for renting the pickup would be the available radio so I can listen to the good rock/metal station or the good country station that broadcasts out of Rockford!

Ok, back on topic of the phone... I was going to post a screenshot from the phone to show details about storage available on the phone. Well I'm not seeing the option to add an attachment here, so guess I can't.

Any way, I have CCleaner on the phone and it shows

Storage 1.08/1.88 GB

RAM 563.54 MB/919.22 MB

I don't know how that figures up to be 4 GB of storage built in. Guess I'll just buy a new phone and all once I start my new job and get paid.

Ok, back on topic of the phone... I was going to post a screenshot from the phone to show details about storage available on the phone. Well I'm not seeing the option to add an attachment here, so guess I can't.

Any way, I have CCleaner on the phone and it shows

Storage 1.08/1.88 GB

RAM 563.54 MB/919.22 MB

I don't know how that figures up to be 4 GB of storage built in. Guess I'll just buy a new phone and all once I start my new job and get paid.

Probably find the Android OS is using 3gb - Thats the trouble with older phones with 4gb memory. I have a Sony Xperia z2 16gb built in storage - but apps, OS and cache take up 11gb!! - Good job I have a 120gb sd card :mrgreen:

There is difference in Android Kitkat and Android Pie if you wants to save hundreds of dollars except the feature of Google Duplex that is about to launch in coming months.

Apparently I've forgotten how to read english.  That makes no sense to me.

What are you trying to say?