Sign in to follow this  

I have recently installed PC Matic and I also recently updated my wireless router, both in an effort to speed up my computer. I did achieve reasonable speed overall, but now I have lost WiFi speed. I am rated for 3Mbps, and I have achieved that on an iPad using WiFi and on my computer using WiFi in the past. Last night WiFi was slow, so I plugged it in to ethernet to troubleshoot. It achieved 3+Mbps on ethernet, and equally well on WiFi after I unplugged the ethernet. I thought the problem was solved, but it was slow again tonight. Tried plugging in, achieved high speed (>3Mbps), but now after unplugging, I am back to <0.5 Mbps or slower. What do I try next? My adapter is RealTek RTL 8188EE 802.11 bgn. Thanks!

IS it slowing at the same time everyday?

Could it just be traffic? Your ISP trottling speeds?

Has something that emits radio waves; magnetism been moved that would come on that time of the day (microwave ovens are great for destroying wifi signals).

Thank you for your response! It had sped up and was working OK, but now I'm having trouble again. Last night, my laptop and husbands laptop were both having bad connections -- mine tested consistently at <0.5Mbps for both download and upload, and hubby's laptop got kicked off and couldn't even get back on. Meanwhile, the iPad was running with decent speeds 1-1.5 Mbps. This morning, the iPad is super fast at 4-5Mbps, and my download speed is at something like 0.2Mbps, while upload was a decent 1Mpbs or so. Tested at the same location in the house. So that rules out time of day, ISP speeds, and location issues.

The wifi router is in my mechanical room, which is next to a chest freezer, and near typical utility room stuff, like water heater and furnace.

Where do I even start to troubleshoot this?

Start with this:

Copy and paste these lines into Notepad (caution, use ONLY Notepad):

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Vista and Windows 7... right click the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Tell us if that helps.

:geezer:

OMGosh, that worked awesome! Thank you so much! So, just curious, what did that fix? What was the problem?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Please press the Windows key + X> Control Panel> Uninstall Programs and uninstall the following:

AVG Web TuneUp

DriverUpdate

McAfee Security Scan Plus

SlimCleaner Plus

Yahoo Search Set

reboot

BY4dvz9.pngAdwCleaner

• Please download AdwCleaner and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Right-click AdwCleaner.exe and select AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator to run the programme.
  • Follow the prompts.
  • Click A49sxPr.pngScan.
  • Upon completion, click 6cyn5v5.pngLogfile. A log (AdwCleaner[s1].txt) will open. Briefly check the log for anything you know to be legitimate.
  • Return to AdwCleaner. Ensure anything you know to be legitimate does not have a checkmark under the corresponding tab.
  • Click MqHawIb.pngClean.
  • Follow the prompts and allow your computer to reboot.
  • After the reboot, a log (AdwCleaner[C1].txt) will open. Copy the contents of the log and paste in your next reply.

-- File and folder backups are made for items removed using this programme. Should a legitimate file or folder be removed (otherwise known as a 'false-positive'), simple steps can be taken to restore the item. Please do not overly concern yourself with the contents of AdwCleaner[C1].txt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Please download the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware setup file to your Desktop.

OR from this location Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Open mbam-setup.x.x.xxxx.exe (x represents the version #) and follow the prompts to install the programme.
  • On the Dashboard click on Update Now
  • Go to the Setting Tab
  • Under Setting go to Detection and Protection
  • Under PUP and PUM make sure both are set to show Treat Detections as Malware
  • Go to Advanced setting and make sure Automatically Quarantine Detected Items is checked
  • Then on the Dashboard click on Scan
  • Make sure to select THREAT SCAN
  • Then click on Scan
  • Note: You may see the following message, "Could not load DDA driver". Click Yes, allow your PC to reboot and continue afterwards.
  • If threats are detected, click Remove Selected. If you are prompted to reboot, click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs, followed by the first Scan Log.
  • Click Export, followed by Copy to Clipboard. Paste the log in your next reply.

:) Y

Thank you!

I tried several times and I am unable to uninstall the AVG Web Tuneup, but I got everything else removed. Here is the text from the AdwCleaner. Still downloading the Anti-Malware app.

# AdwCleaner v5.118 - Logfile created 29/05/2016 at 10:45:39
# Updated 23/05/2016 by Xplode
# Database : 2016-05-26.2 [server]
# Operating system : Windows 10 Home (X64)
# Username : Steve - HOMEPC
# Running from : C:\Users\Steve\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean
# Support : http://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

[-] Service Deleted : swdumon
[-] Service Deleted : WtuSystemSupport
[-] Service Deleted : vToolbarUpdater40.2.9

***** [ Folders ] *****

[-] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\AVG Secure Search
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\AVG Security Toolbar
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\slimware utilities inc
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\avg web tuneup
[#] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\Application Data\AVG Secure Search
[#] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\Application Data\AVG Security Toolbar
[#] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\Application Data\slimware utilities inc
[#] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\Application Data\avg web tuneup
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Public\Documents\Downloaded Installers
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\driverupdate
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\avg web tuneup
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AVG Secure Search
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\slimware utilities inc
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\YSearchUtil
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\avg web tuneup
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installers
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\chfdnecihphmhljaaejmgoiahnihplgn
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files\avg web tuneup
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVG Secure Search

***** [ Files ] *****

[-] File Deleted : C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zcyihh15.default\extensions\Avg@toolbar.xpi
[-] File Deleted : C:\WINDOWS\SysNative\drivers\swdumon.sys

***** [ DLLs ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\avgsh
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@avg.com/AVG SiteSafety plugin,version=11.0.0.1,application/x-avg-sitesafety-plugin
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\s
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Google\Chrome\Extensions\chfdnecihphmhljaaejmgoiahnihplgn
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.GenericWnd
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.GenericWnd.1
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.NativeApi
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.NativeApi.1
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.ScriptHelperApi
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.ScriptHelperApi.1
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\WtuServer.WtuServerObj
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\WtuServer.WtuServerObj.1
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{933B95E2-E7B7-4AD9-B952-7AC336682AE3}
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B2BC04DF-EFBD-409A-95CA-36874E5AB92A}
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CA3A5461-96B5-46DD-9341-5350D3C94615}
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{C401D2CE-DC27-45C7-BC0C-8E6EA7F085D6}
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{C2AC8A0E-E48E-484B-A71C-C7A937FAAB94}
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{4BC8AD89-AC5F-4DBD-A38F-C355C7DD33D7}
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{B2BC04DF-EFBD-409A-95CA-36874E5AB92A}
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{B2BC04DF-EFBD-409A-95CA-36874E5AB92A}
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\SlimWare Utilities Inc
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\SLIMWARE UTILITIES, INC.
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\SlimWare Utilities Inc
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVG Tuneup
[-] Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVG Secure Search
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStorage\driverupdate.net
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStorage\www.driverupdate.net
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DOMStorage\ask.com
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DOMStorage\dotomi.com
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DOMStorage\driverupdate.net
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DOMStorage\mysearch.avg.com
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DOMStorage\www.ask.com
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DOMStorage\www.driverupdate.net
[-] Value Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run [vProt]
[-] Value Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run32 [vProt]

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[-] [C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zcyihh15.default\prefs.js] Deleted : user_pref("avg.wtu.ext.extParams", "{\"action\":\"extParams\",\"data\":{\"searchParams\":{\"pid\":\"wtu\",\"cid\":\"{e92b132c-139d-439b-9092-101fbf6afa8d}\",\"mid\":\"cf96e150682547cda1cf5d959263b768-[...]
[-] [C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zcyihh15.default\prefs.js] Deleted : user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "AVG Secure Search");
[-] [C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zcyihh15.default\prefs.js] Deleted : user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename.US", "AVG Secure Search");
[-] [C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zcyihh15.default\prefs.js] Deleted : user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "hxxps://mysearch.avg.com/?cid={5E239247-0D1D-4B1E-AE9F-66001314B841}&mid=cf96e150682547cda1cf5d959263b768-c4d0b16e64fd312a5e32e17a2a1eedd572ba62e7&lang=en&ds=AVG[...]
[-] [C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [search Provider] Deleted : aol.com
[-] [C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [search Provider] Deleted : ask.com
[-] [C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Extension] Deleted : chfdnecihphmhljaaejmgoiahnihplgn

:: "Tracing" keys deleted
:: Winsock settings cleared

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [7058 bytes] - [29/05/2016 10:45:39]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[s1].txt - [6950 bytes] - [29/05/2016 10:44:20]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [7204 bytes] ##########

Here is the malware log

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 5/29/2016
Scan Time: 11:05 AM
Logfile:
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.2.1.1043
Malware Database: v2016.05.29.04
Rootkit Database: v2016.05.27.01
License: Trial
Malware Protection: Enabled
Malicious Website Protection: Enabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Steve

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 339977
Time Elapsed: 7 min, 50 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 1
PUP.Optional.WinYahoo, C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\browser\extensions\jid1-G80Ec8LLEbK5fQ@jetpack.xpi, Quarantined, [7038f0eb8514c4723b5446883bc8cd33],

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

You can download Revo Uninstaller Freeware from here > http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Save it to a safe place and install. Now run the program and look for AVG Web Tuneup, highlight it and click "Uninstall" in the top menu, follow instructions for "Moderate" uninstall. Voila! No more AVG Web Tuneup!

:geezer:

Slow again. Uggh...so frustrating! And at one point, my computer couldn't find my wireless device, but that is corrected now. Don't know if I got too delete happy and accidentally erased something important, but at least that part is fixed now. Other thoughts on internet speed?

Log into your router and change the default DNS server IP's from your ISP to Google's public DNS IP's:

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

When done, Save your settings.

Then power cycle the router.

Unplug it, count to ten and plug it back it.

Let us know if this helps with the inconsistent speeds.

:) Y