Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustinP526

Long distance move

Anyone experienced with long distance moves?

The better half and myself are looking to move from northern Illinois down to southern Illinois or possibly elsewhere. It's become far too expensive to live up here and already we've been given a final eviction notice.

Looking at most likely a 15' U-Haul, I don't think we need any bigger. The distance ~355 miles give or take depending on directions and if we make any other random stops along the way.

I don't really have any clue on how it all works with the U-Haul... I was quoted a total cost of $479 and it says due in store. Is that up front at the pick up location? Or at the destination when I drop off the truck?

What about fuel cost... any easy way to estimate about how much we'll need to cover fuel for getting the whole way there?

As is we are already tapped out... we'll end up getting there and most likely be flat broke. I have been offered some work, but until I get there and interview it's just up in the air.

The 15' Truck achieves approximately 10 mpg (this page)

U-Haul FAQ

Do I have to pay a deposit when renting a U-Haul truck?

The total estimated charges for your rental are due when you pick up your equipment. Payment can be made by credit card, debit card or cash.

No deposit is required if paying by major credit card, or debit card with a major credit card logo. If paying by cash, the following is due when you pick up your equipment.

• In-Town truck: $100 or estimated rental charges (whichever is greater).
  • One-Way truck: $100 plus rental rate.

It's been a long time since I used Uhaul. In fact, the last time I used one of their trucks I moved from Portland, Oregon to Sacramento, California (about 600 miles) in 1984 and probably payed half the rate you are currently talking about (but fuel was cheaper and minimum wage was half of what it now is. Not to mention insurance), but I believe the following to be correct.

You pay when you pick up the truck and you will be paying for a certain number of miles, and a certain number of days. If you drive more miles or take more days they will want more money. If you pay with a credit card they will want the quoted amount. If you pay cash, they will want $100 plus the quoted amount. The extra $100 is like a security deposit that you will get back when you return the truck on time, under mileage, and unharmed. If there is some problem and they have your credit card... they will charge more to it.

As far as fuel, I'm going to assume you are getting a gasoline powered vehicle. The average cost of gasoline in Illinois right now is about $2.10/gallon. Be conservative. Say the truck gets 8 miles to the gallon. 360 miles at 8/gallon means you will burn 45 gallon and spend $95 on fuel. I'd stay conservative. Be prepared to pay $100 in fuel.

If you want an "automatic" way to calculate the fuel, you can try an online fuel calculator like U-Pack. I picked Chicago to Carbondale which is 332 miles and it suggest to expect to pay $97.00.

As I said, I don't use rental trucks like that. Being in construction, I can always find trucks and trailers to "borrow" for fuel. Good luck.

Maybe a better deal to go with Enterprise, their equivalent is a 16' cabover and it's diesel. But then again, I have no clue what the cost of diesel is either.

We even started looking at some places in Indiana too, mostly Ft. Wayne and Bloomington.

Yeah times sure have changed... I'm currently using a Green Dot debit card with a Visa logo on it. Credit card might come in handy if I had... then again would possibly end with me in tons of trouble too.

From most of what I had seen, U-Haul trucks are listed with an average of 10 miles to the gallon.. except for the 26' which then drops to 8 and they all show as gasoline. Think I remember my parents getting a bigger U-Haul back when they first bought their current house, and if I remember it had to be returned with a full tank.

Then again I see this too with Enterprise

A credit or a debit card linked to a checking account in the renters name is required for a deposit on all vehicles.

I don't have a checking account... I'm done with banks after the last one cleared out $400 on me and claimed I was $800 overdrawn (no idea how an account is "overdrawn" when there is +$400 in it). 1 class action suit later I got a "reimbursement" check in the mail for a lousy $4

That check went directly into the trash as it was an insult to me!!

We have approximately 20 - 23 days to go before being thrown on the street. No idea what to do now. Guess even having cash doesn't mean anything anymore.

As I recall, it was cheaper to return the truck with a full tank than to let them fill it at uhaul and pay their rate.

Like you, I don't have a credit card. I have a debit card with a VISA logo. I don't have very good credit. I have a wife with a variety of medical problems and owe more money to doctors and the hospital than I'll get paid back in my lifetime. I pay toward the bills every month... but I cannot pay what they would like to be paid, thus the poor credit rating. They would love for me to get a credit card and then have me borrow against the card to pay them... but credit card interest is something like 23% and the hospital can only charge me 9% max. Both my wife and I do have life insurance and, in theory, they will get their money when we are both dead. Some years (like 2015) I even get them paid down a bit. Some years (like 2014) they go way up. If I live long enough, and we don't have any more years with multiple trips to the ER with multiple days stays in the hospital each time... my insurance alone could cover them. My wifes policy is smaller and it is extremely unlikely we will ever get them down to the point hers will cover them.

Anyway, that doesn't help with your move.

Diesel, right now, is pretty close to gasoline prices most places. However, it is my experience that you will probably get 11 to 12 mpg for the diesel rig... but rental may be more. Bottom line is you probably need to figure out what you need, and then actually talk with someone at the rental yard and see what kind of a deal you can swing. You might be able to talk them into an extra day for the same price or perhaps you luck out that they need to re-position some truck and will sweeten the deal. When you make the best deal you can at Uhaul, you call Enterprise, when you find what they can do for you - you call Hertz, then you call Penske. I don't know what rental yards you have available, but work your best deal with each before committing to any.

After weighing things out we've settled on a place, as long as we can give the deposit before anyone else. In which case, the trip is now a bit further.. we'll be going to southern Missouri and getting a nice 5 acre property by the Mark Twain National Forest!!

Thanks very much for the advice on truck rental!!

As I recall, it was cheaper to return the truck with a full tank than to let them fill it at uhaul and pay their rate.

Like you, I don't have a credit card. I have a debit card with a VISA logo. I don't have very good credit. I have a wife with a variety of medical problems and owe more money to doctors and the hospital than I'll get paid back in my lifetime. I pay toward the bills every month... but I cannot pay what they would like to be paid, thus the poor credit rating. They would love for me to get a credit card and then have me borrow against the card to pay them... but credit card interest is something like 23% and the hospital can only charge me 9% max. Both my wife and I do have life insurance and, in theory, they will get their money when we are both dead. Some years (like 2015) I even get them paid down a bit. Some years (like 2014) they go way up. If I live long enough, and we don't have any more years with multiple trips to the ER with multiple days stays in the hospital each time... my insurance alone could cover them. My wifes policy is smaller and it is extremely unlikely we will ever get them down to the point hers will cover them.

Looks like Enterprise is out, they won't accept my debit card because it's not tied to a bank account. I use one of those Green Dot Visa prepaid ones. Any idea if all the rental places are the same? Or any place that will accept my card anyways?

BTW, sorry to hear about your wife. I wish you the best in getting through it all :yup:

Be safe traveling :)

Thanks! :)

I didn't realize that there were debit cards that aren't tied to a bank account. How does that work?

Anyway, as I said, my experience is ancient so I just don't have any great advice.

As far as my wife goes, I knew she was diabetic when I married her over 30 years ago. Most of her current problems are diabetic related and not unusual for someone with diabetes for this many years. I went into this with my eyes wide open. We'll be fine... we'll just continue to be broke. :)

My Green Dot one I reload it at CVS or Walgreens. However, I'm also charged $4.95 per reload. Or there are some ATMs that can be used for deposit and withdrawal for free.

I think it says that it's backed by FDIC via Visa. There is also a monthly maintenance fee if the card is not used for at least 30 purchases or less than $1000 deposited per month. The fee is (as of May 1st) $8.95 per month. Still a better deal than some greedy bank accusing me of overdrawing my account when there is still hundreds or thousands of dollars left in said account.

https://www.greendot.com/how-it-works

https://www.greendot.com/about

Mine is a personalized card with my name on it. Enterprise told me that they won't even accept cash for anything either. Seems a bit ridiculous that people are expected to have money for everything but then even when we have the money it's no good because of some stupid reason or another.

Turns out we have to postpone the move. Her mother has been fighting a very tough battle with a brain tumor and we've just been informed that her condition has gotten worse. We won't leave just yet as the doctors have given a very grim outlook of about 2 weeks :unsure:

I most likely won't be around for a good while. I believe we are to vacate our current apartment by the end of the week, not sure how we're going to manage. The only thing that makes it so bad is we both suffer from depression (both of us have attempted suicide in the past). We'll most likely be roughing it for a while and trying to do everything possible to make good things happen. Hopefully a good long campout will help us feel better by being close to nature.

OH, I don't wish to break the rules or anything... but she made up one of those online fundraiser (crowd funding) things and we're wondering if the whole thing is just a scam or what. I'm not looking for donations or anything. Maybe just some advice if it looks ok or whether to trust doing such a thing.

https://pages.giveforward.com/emergency/page-kyrdj65/

Had a few people (not from here) tell me some rather negative feed back about hers. So we put together one on gofundme and hoping it gets better feed back.

http://gofundme.com/ugw4um2c

And the move is now put off probably permanently. Pretty sure we have to vacate as of tomorrow morning. There's not a single person on the face of this earth who is caring enough to loan us just a little bit of money so we can at least live in junk van.... so now we have no way to get to work on Monday either and going to be on the street as of this weekend.

Where can you find 8 million+ homeless people and 16 million+ empty houses on foreclosure?? ONLY IN AMERICA!!!

Guess it's back to suicide since that's the only option left.... and I can't even seem to do that right.