Sign in to follow this  
halttunen

Where can I find the folder inbox Outlook Express emails and bring th

A friend called telling me all her subfolders in OE's inbox were gone. I came over and checked her store folder; all the .dbx files were there. I tried importing them back using OE's import function, however none of the folders appear under "Select Folders".
I downloaded Outlook Express Freebie Backup and was going to pop over and give it a try. She's an hour away and would like to solve this, so I thought I'd ask here on what else I might do to restore these dbx files back to their rightful place.
Thanks for your help.

I think this is the first thing to do before trying to work a solution with a third party software

Note: that step 2 also instructs how to find the store folder path on the machine, if I am remembering correctly, while viewing the path, all though the text box with the path is not interactive you can copy it to the clipboard. I remember that being difficult so you may have to try more than one method of highlighting before it can be copied.

methods to highlight after you have clicked on the path to give it focus

1. you can use the keyboard Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C to copy to the clipboard

2. start at one end of the path (arrow left (right) as needed) and then use shift+end (or shift+home) to highlight it and then Ctrl+C

3. start at one end of the path and mash and hold down Shift then press the left (right) arrow button until the entire path is highlighted then Ctrl+C

Edited by oftentired

Does she remember the sub-folder name that was previously present in Inbox ?
Let us say if the sub-folder name is A , going to that store folder location , you should find A.dbx.
if you don’t find it , then obviously that sub-folder has been deleted from OE and hence A.dbx also got deleted.
Make sure that the folder still does not remain in her deleted items folder.
If she is sure that she did not delete , try to click on the + sign to the left of all folders in OE to be absolutely sure that sub-folders are not there ..

Yes, all the dbx files including the sub-folders are there with the sub-folder names that are missing.

I don't recall the folders being in the deleted folder but I'll double-check.

Clear. You have all files in that store folder path but they do not show up in OE. If that is the case, backup all those files

search for folders.dbx file in your computer and rename it to folders_old.dbx

open OE

now check if all folders are there.

If they still don't appear, then this is good program called OE-Mail Recovery to get back OE data http://www.oemailrecovery.com/repair-outlook-express.html

I'm glad to hear that the issue was resolved.

For the benefit of other users who may come here looking for a solution to the same issue, could you please provide information on how you were able to resolve this?