Sign in to follow this  
lKniveSl

Internet drops while multi-tasking and playing EVE

First of all, let me just say I really appreciate any help in advance and apologize for the following book I'm subjecting you to read. Now, let's get into it.

After extensive research and trial and error, I still have no real idea what exactly could be causing this. I'm lead to believe that it can only be computer hardware or router settings. I have a pretty decent cable internet connection. It comes from the wall, goes to our modem and then to a router. From there, I have 1 ethernet cable ran to the other side of the house, plugged into a LAN port on a second router. I use this second router as an extender for my Laptop/Playstation/Cell/3DS and pretty much anything I need a connection for in here. My laptop and Playstation are both connected to the secondary router through ethernet cables of their own. I like them to have maximum speeds without more wires stretching across the house. I've had this setup for a while now with no problems at all. Also, since this problem has started, I've since formatted multiple times and made the move from Vista to Windows 7.

Let's backtrack a little. About 2 months ago I started playing EVE Online again. I was on Windows Vista at the time and everything ran fine at first. Soon after, I hooked up a second monitor devoted almost entirely to gaming, while I use my main monitor for pretty much whatever I want. It was then I noticed that sometimes while playing EVE, my connection would just drop. I lose all connection to my routers despite having a wired connection. No matter what, the ONLY way I've found to fix it is by completely restarting the computer. I can't refresh my IP through command prompts or anything else. Basically, it's like I shut my Wi-Fi off and unplug my ethernet cord. I can't even access either router's config pages. It didn't happen enough to really affect my gaming or other activities at first. There was no consistency to it. It simply happened sometimes while playing EVE.

For other reasons, I decided to format and install Windows 7. The problem continued after formatting. In the last few weeks it seems to be happening more frequently, or easily, if you will. For example, while playing EVE, as long as that's all I'm doing, EVE runs perfectly fine without any connection lag or interruptions. However, if I start watching videos on YouTube (possibly even browsing web pages) while playing EVE, I'll notice the video skipping (quickly stopping and playing). If I don't immediately pause the video (and possibly make EVE the active window), my connection will drop and leave me with a yellow warning symbol on my network icon. At this point, I cannot access the internet *on my laptop* at all. If I try to view either of my router's config pages, they won't even try to load up. While this is happening I can have my Playstation online, on Netflix and the connection isn't interrupted at all. This leads me to believe that the routers and internet are all working just fine. Though, possibly there is some router setting I've overlooked that might be causing this? No matter what I've tried, the connection remains silent and completely unresponsive until I restart my laptop. By that, I mean that my laptop fails to even recognize that there's a cable linking it to a router. If I turn my Wi-Fi on at this point, I can't remember exactly what happens, but it will either connect and remain offline/unresponsive or it won't find any connections at all.

A little info off the top of my head that may help:

Both Routers are of the same make. But, the main is a newer and bigger/better model.

I've turned off DHCP on my secondary Router. Secondary Router's IP is static on the first router and outside of DHCP range.

Laptop's IP is also static and outside DHCP range on main Router. (Wouldn't think this is the problem. But..?)

Main's RIP version is disabled by default. Secondary was set to RIP_1 but now is disabled. It seems to have stopped the videos on youtube from skipping while playing EVE. Though, the problem persists and this just makes it harder to prevent.

I've disabled most, if not all security features on the secondary router. I keep them minimal on my main as well.

I've tried using the tests on this site, but.. for some reason they just don't load up or do anything at all. The page that was supposed to be running the overdrive test had another link to the older test if you have problems with the newer one... and guess what! The link leads to the same damn page! I've yet to install a lot of things like Flash or Java. If you need me to post any results from the tests then this will need to be figured out as well. Otherwise, I can provide pretty much any info on my machine/LAN that is needed.

Edited by lKniveSl

if you have not done so already go into the eve video settings and put it into windowed mode

also, drop all the manual video settings (right hand column) to the lowest possible setting

and finally, remove the check marks (middle column) from all the special effects

and, avoid docking\undocking and using system gate or cyno jumps or clone jumps in eve for about 60-120 seconds when the video is buffering when first running it

after that see how it fairs

cheers

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. I play EVE in a Fixed Window (Same as windowed?) with most of the settings on low or disabled. My laptop gets pretty hot otherwise. It runs relatively fine with it's current settings however. And, it's not that I'm doing too much in EVE or whatever. I can just be doing nothing, sitting in station or mining in an empty system, with no rats around, and this still happens. And it's pretty much only when I do anything that seems to put more of a strain on my connection outside of EVE that this problem occurs. I've literally never had it happen while I was playing EVE running combat missions or anything. Only when I do something outside of EVE that's somewhat connection intensive. Back when I was playing in fullscreen on just the 1 monitor it didn't do this either. For whatever reason, it seems like EVE not being the active window is playing a part in it.

Why would my graphics settings in EVE, or the fact that it's in Fullscreen, affect my computer's ability to connect or at least scan for connections? Much less make it so that I can't even access my routers. And why, after shutting down EVE, would my internet remain unresponsive? I would think that if EVE were the cause, then the problem would go away some time after closing it. I would think I'd be able to do something with my network adapter other than shutting it off and on or at least scan for internet connections or something. Seems like the problem isn't just EVE, though.

see if these links better help you trace and find out where the problem is when you lose your connection. eg.netsh command.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff625276.aspx

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-7/Network-Diagnostics-Tracing-Windows-7.html

if you can't then find and fix the problem on your own, post any trace logs and errors in your next post so someone here may be better able to help you pinpoint where the problem is.

:b33r:

From your description it sounds like a hardware issue within your setup. But, I wanted to reduce the possibility that running Eve combined with whatever else you multi-tasked was exceeding your system resources by such a degree that the system connection performance was compromised as it attempted to manage the high video rendering demand. Even on low video settings Eve is graphic intense and demanding on resources. I must have missed the part in the original post where you said it happened when Eve was not running. :)

Edited by oftentired

I wanted to reduce the possibility that running Eve combined with whatever else you multi-tasked was exceeding your system resources by such a degree that the system connection performance was compromised as it attempted to manage the high video rendering demand.

that's exactly what's happening in my opinion, the cpu is overtaxed supply data to the gpu rendering the dual displays along with the other tasks it's doing which causes the internet connection drivers to fail/freeze, requiring them to be reloaded before internet works again and why it never happens when only using 1 monitor.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

It's happened once or twice outside of EVE. That could have been because of something else though. I'm about to go to bed so I'll look into this more tomorrow. It was however playing videos on youtube just fine today while playing EVE. I've tried a number of different DOS commands like flushing my DNS and even tried restarting my network adapter. I'm not really sure how to reload the driver but what you're saying does make some sense. A friend of mine has a PC I can probably get from him if I need to. Also, it may very well do it with 1 monitor too. Back when I used only 1 monitor I never did anything else while playing EVE. I could try setting my second monitor as the main/only monitor and seeing if it still does it.

You can restart all your mainboard hardware drivers, the ones that run all the time and are not dependent upon the OS ( I forget the exact terminology for them)

Remove the power supply

Remove the battery

mash and hold down the start button for a count to 60 (should cover every model)

Put it back together and fire it up

I've been pretty busy. I haven't really had a chance to look into this. Much less play EVE. I've tried bare minimum graphics and even playing on 1 monitor and it still does it. Today it was doing it very frequently. About 4 times in the hour I played EVE. Even while just playing EVE and doing nothing else. I think the game is just too much for my laptop to handle like your previous posts have stated. I'm going to be getting a computer from a friend of mine because I feel like we've found the answer.

On another note, what exactly does restarting hardware drivers do? Obviously it's not the same as just restarting the computer. I've never had to do that. A simple restart will resolve this issue. I'm just curious what exactly restarting them will do and how it's different from just restarting the computer.

Edited by lKniveSl

Sorry for double posting, but seeing as there's an update I'm sure it will be fine. Well, it seems like I've fixed this problem. Working around the possibility that it may be drawing way too many resources, I followed the steps in the following forum post:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3770113&postcount=2

I also turned off all of the things limiting my CPU's speed in Windows itself which also involved changing a few registry keys. I keep the program linked to in that post, Set Timer Resolution, running while playing EVE as well. All of this has EVE running better than ever and is keeping me from getting kicked offline at all. I've had EVE running for around 10 or 11 hours now and it's only disconnected once. At which point, it only disconnected from EVE. It did not kick me offline and I did not have to restart my computer at all. I've watched multiple videos on youtube and all seems to be well. Maybe this will help somebody else if they ever experience the same problem.

Edited by lKniveSl

I did not explain very well and I'm sure I'm using slightly inaccurate techno words. This explanation is likely only slightly better.

On a laptop mobo you have what I'm going to call "little driver programs" stored in unalterable memory on a mobo chip. They load the communication protocols which enable the hardware peripherals on the laptop to function with the rest of the hardware on the laptop. For example the USB ports. Without the little driver program running correctly the USB ports start to act up or not work at all. I'm pretty sure this is true for CD and keyboard as well as any other bits of hardware on the mobo that needs to communicate with the CPU.

These little drivers are not the same as the Operating System loaded drivers which allow the peripherals to be used by the person interacting with the computer via running software.

A laptop does not reload these little drivers every time you fire it up because they run all the time once inititated as long as there is power from one source or another being provided. Like any running software they can become corrupted over time and require to be restarted.

In order to force a laptop to restart them you have to take away all the power from it and mash the Start button. Then when next you start the laptop normally, with power, the laptop will restart the little mobo drivers loading them from the stored chip memory.

Ordinarily you never have to do this, but sometimes when a laptop peripheral is acting up or some strange unexplained laptop behaviour is happening, it needs to be done.

Interesting. Sort of sounds like the BIOS? Thanks for all of the help! I'm not so sure I would have it figured out right now if I hadn't come here and asked about it.

Edited by lKniveSl

Does your internet driver use any kind of Network Manager software? My MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard uses a Qualcomm Killer e2200 Gigabit Network Controller. It has a Network Manager utility that attempts to prioritize which of your running programs have priority to internet access. I have had nothing but issues with this Killer Network Manger and had to remove it or disable it in Services. I found a download for the driver only without the Killer Network Manager and my problems similar to yours disappeared. ASRock also has a similar utility if you are using an ASRock motherboard. Just my input on the subject.

Edited by Zuhl3156