Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kaylathrailkill

Forum Feedback

H​ello-

PC Pitstop is looking at redoing the forums webpage, but we want your feedback before we make too many changes.

First, we are discussing minor changes. These would be focused on membership rewards. This would include featuring special forums for members only and potentially a contest for the best tip of the month shared by members.

​Secondly, we are looking at redoing the layout of the page. We would keep the Community tab, but add a Members tab. Each tab would then have various subcategories, such as:

​Windows 10

​ - Support

- Tips and Tricks

​Windows 8

​ - Support

​ - Tips and Tricks

etc.

There would also still be the categories for Networking, Viruses, etc.

Essentially our goal is to organize the page to make it more functional and user friendly. However, we want your feedback first. Is this something you would find beneficial? What thoughts and ideas do you have? Share below!

personally i see no benefits whatsoever to having separate community and members only tabbed sections.

after all anyone needing pc info can get it as things are and anyone needing help have to become a member anyway before they can make a post, so where are the benefits?.

if you want to change the layout slightly then go for it (not that i see a need for it.),

if you want to offer a prize like you used to for best tip go for it (same people will spam (in my opinion.) silly/useless tips trying to win as before i'd think.),

as for actually splitting things with a separate tab system though, seems pointless to me and just means i'll have to click one extra thing to see what i see and read now anyway. (and you know how lazy i am. :P )

or are you trying to better integrate the pc pitstop/pcmatic and other products you sell pages more with the forum itself by having a tab system? community tab gets the hard sell and members get what we see now anyway without all the (again in my opinion.) bs. :rofl3:

first thing i'd concentrate on is trying to increase membership and i'd start with your crazy slow servers, this must be the slowest forum i visit by a large margin especially for "members only parts" like this general discussions and political discussions sections.

anyway for what it's worth that's what i think.

:b33r:

As it stands now, GD and PD are the only primary Members only forums.

Personally, I prefer them to be kept this way.

We aren't looking to integrate PC Matic into the main fold of the forums, but do want to make it easier and less intimidating for PC Matic Members as well as non-PC Matic Members to join up and ask any little question that they wish.

One of the nice things about these boards that lured me in and kept me here was the friendliness and courteous help that was and is offered. Even if a "silly" question is asked, we don't subordinate or pick on people.

Increasing membership is the goal to get these boards jumping again. Tips and Tricks is an avenue. Bringing back some over-clocking competition is another. What else? Best computer "horror" story competition perhaps?

We're not only looking at the layout but looking into alternative skins as well, those were fun when we had made them available.

Anyway, no ideas are bad ideas, so know that we appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter.

:) Y

I'm inclined to agree with both Terry (but in a kinder way :) ) and Y

Tips and Tricks paid a $50 prize (I think) each month for the winning tip. We had a member who and posted many, many, tips but NEVER posted in another area. Granted, she won a few times but when the reward was discontinued she went away. She was on mission and her mission ended. I think there were several that joined for that reason - never looking to see if his/her tip had already hit the board at an earlier time. There are occasional tips still posted - by members who want to share something they've come across without being enticed by a reward.

The segregation of tips by W7,W8, and W10 could get muddled - since things that are good ideas in one will likely work on all three. I would probably shelve anything concerning XP or earlier. People do not need to be using an antiquated OS (I can already feel the backlash swelling).

I didn't know about slow server issue. I haven't noticed it. But then....I'm not from a third world country like Terry :P

but do want to make it easier and less intimidating for PC Matic Members as well as non-PC Matic Members to join up and ask any little question that they wish.

what's intimidating in how things are now? main page seems simple, well laid out and easy to understand in my opinion so don't really see anything intimidating about it.

if you think things are intimidating though why not put a welcome to, how to join, make a post intro at the top of the forum page so it's seen first thing instead of hidden in a sub section/forum. nothing massive just a few lines with click links here for more detailed info also people like honesty and hate feeling like they are being forced to join things so explain they can just browse without becoming a member but will see extra members only content after joining.

One of the nice things about these boards that lured me in and kept me here was the friendliness and courteous help that was and is offered. Even if a "silly" question is asked, we don't subordinate or pick on people.

think that's how we all got here and everyone knows there are no silly questions, we all have to learn and asking questions is how we do it.

Increasing membership is the goal to get these boards jumping again. Tips and Tricks is an avenue. Bringing back some over-clocking competition is another. What else? Best computer "horror" story competition perhaps?

making things pretty with new skins etc may make things look nicer (maybe not in my opinion too.) but don't think they will increase membership.

what you really need in my opinion are some expert guides written on topics people are always searching for like, how to connect a printer in win 10, how to connect a pc to your tv to watch netflix. how to find deleted files in win 10, etc. etc. to get more hits in web searches then you'll get more members wanting to join to ask questions when they have a problem, maybe even have a few expert people/programmers in your employ to pop in more often and help give answers to those questions too.

we do our best to try and help where we can but in most cases recently (in my opinion) the answers have been lacking in what i'd call any real technical help because there are so few members who actually know the answers in the first place.

As it stands now, GD and PD are the only primary Members only forums.

Personally, I prefer them to be kept this way.

so don't change it, why would we need more? there's no need for a tab system to view them either.

the whole idea of forums is anyone can read everything then join to ask their own questions, so why have a members only section where the info the general public is looking for is hidden because it's in a members only part of the forum?

I'm inclined to agree with both Terry (but in a kinder way :) ) and Y

oops sorry didn't think my first post was unkind, so apologies if it came across that way and offended anyone.

I didn't know about slow server issue. I haven't noticed it. But then....I'm not from a third world country like Terry :P

it's not like we have to wait 5 seconds or more usually (but has been known.) for the page to display but it is long enough to annoy an old git like me way to often.

let us know when you climb up to our 3rd world level and i'll take you out to celebrate. :P

I would like to see us be able to have Signatures that allow us to have badges like some of the other sites for our folding team. A different badge for each million point milestone and higher accomplishment, it would give a little incentive for new members to stay with us with right at no cost.

Even have a little folding contest for a years subscription to PC Matic you would have to fold for the Pit Crew to qualify, advertise the contest in some way

Maybe PCs are getting so easy and user-friendly that not as many people need help, and that's why there's not so many people around. I used to help out with Hijack This malware threads and recommend good third-party apps for MS, but I haven't run Windows in over 15 years I think. I run open SUSE and I know very little at all about it, but it has run great for years on my box.

Hell, I stopped posting here because I had moved back in with my parents to help them in their old age, and ain't nothing more disrespected on the Net than posting from your parents' house. They passed this year exactly one month apart, so I'm posting again, but a lot of the old crew I just don't see here.

I don't think the site needs major changes. Like David said, the only "private" forums are GD and PD. If someone comes here for help and likes the site enough to join, then they can have those forums.

And I've never seen an admin with only 13 posts. She must have just been promoted. :)

And I've never seen an admin with only 13 posts. She must have just been promoted. :)

Miss Kayla is the "new gal on the block"...;)

:geezer:

if you really want to see loads of new members create a dating section, and make sure kaylathrailkill (soon to be married??), sparkles(juliet, and taken) and jacee (blissfully married.) are available. :laughing:

by the way, welcome to the forums kaylathrailkill, must admit just did a search on your name, sounded like it came from a book or something i've read or seen so was curious and you seem like a wild, fun person to know judging by some of the videos you've posted, if of course that is/was you. :rofl3:

anyway welcome and i hope you enjoy your new job. :tup: (we need a better thumbs up smilie too. :P )

Maybe something like this? thumb-up-smiley.png

I'm old and resistant to change. Forum works fine for me the way it is.

However, if you can come up with some way to draw in more traffic... more power to you. I may not like change, but I can adapt and I'm pretty sure that this site is one of the few places in the universe where making me happy is not the the sole reason for its existence.

Create a "Win a date with KurtBleach" contest and no one will post here ever again.

Now KB, remember, we're trying to attract new members, not drive them away!

Actually I think that kaylathrailkill, Y kawika, and nigsy have some grand ideas that we've been tossing around for ways to attract new members. This is brought on in large part by doing a Google search for PC help questions, PC Pitstop used to rank right at the top of answers to such searches, nowadays we don't. For instance lets say I search for "what is csrss.exe"...here are the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+csrss.exe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

PC Pitstop is no where on page 1, I know that we've had the answer to that question on these forums before along with "is it safe to remove?" etc.

We really just want to put PC Pitstop back at the top of computer help forums where we used to be and part of doing that is by attracting new people. ;)

I don't like new people. They tend to do nothing but cry, eat, and defecate. I choose not to like them until they have grown out of the "lump of flesh" stage and have lost that "new" smell. My wife (or their parents) can deal with them the first couple years.

i'd think making the help guides as youtube videos linked to the forum will help build traffic to the site, thus members.

I don't like new people. They tend to do nothing but cry, eat, and defecate. I choose not to like them until they have grown out of the "lump of flesh" stage and have lost that "new" smell. My wife (or their parents) can deal with them the first couple years.

:laughing::rofl3::laughing::rofl3::laughing:

if you really want to see loads of new members create a dating section, and make sure kaylathrailkill (soon to be married??), sparkles(juliet, and taken) and jacee (blissfully married.) are available. :laughing:

Okay that was well appreciated, but we do need a bit more 'positive' feedback from members not looking for dating, but rather PC issues, Terry !! :P

well you did want more people to pop in. :P

seeing you 3 in nurses uniforms will surely draw a crowd, not sure caintry's ticker could take it though. :rofl3:

top 5 dating sites are worth about 1 billion dollars, so there must be lots of people visiting them, so seemed like a pretty "positive" suggestion to me. :laughing:

being serious though, free stuff is all well and good but to be honest i don't really see contests as being much help in creating new members like i said best way to draw in new members in my opinion is to drastically increase the forums help guides, preferably video guides posted on youtube, which will over time get a lot of hits thus making the forum easier to find.

from my experience i'd say the sites that appear on the first page most in searches are either ones with a "how to" guide with pictures or sites with a lot of tech reviews / video content.

well you did want more people to pop in. :P

seeing you 3 in nurses uniforms will surely draw a crowd, not sure caintry's ticker could take it though. :rofl3:

top 5 dating sites are worth about 1 billion dollars, so there must be lots of people visiting them, so seemed like a pretty "positive" suggestion to me. :laughing:

being serious though, free stuff is all well and good but to be honest i don't really see contests as being much help in creating new members like i said best way to draw in new members in my opinion is to drastically increase the forums help guides, preferably video guides posted on youtube, which will over time get a lot of hits thus making the forum easier to find.

from my experience i'd say the sites that appear on the first page most in searches are either ones with a "how to" guide with pictures or sites with a lot of tech reviews / video content.

Great suggestions Terry.

I do believe that this is an avenue worth pursuing. :tup:

Great suggestions Terry.

I do believe that this is an avenue worth pursuing. :tup:

glad you agree with me y, so when do we get to see them in those nurses uniforms? :laughing:

​There are some positive ideas here, which will be kept in mind when making changes. I cannot speak for everyone, but do not feel as though many of the comments made are appropriate. Thank you for those who took the feedback request seriously, and as I said we will keep legitimate feedback in mind when moving forward.

​Have a wonderful weekend.

think we all took the request seriously, even if we have made some suggestions just in jest, we don't mean to offend anyone and are just having a bit of fun, you do realise this topic probably has gotten more replies than all others in last week put together.

but do not feel as though many of the comments made are appropriate.

take it that means no nurses uniforms then? caintry will be disappointed. :laughing:

kaylathrailkill,

I took your post seriously.

I admit, I am guilty of often twisting words of a previous post and swerving off topic. I probably shouldn't do that so you admins should probably start reprimanding me. I would agree that I made comments that were not appropriate to the original topic... but they were not "inappropriate" to the forum rules or off color in any way. The admins do have the responsibility of running the forums and controlling things as they see fit. I'm a pretty simple man. If it ain't fun, I don't want to play. If any levity is being banned except in the topics that are specifically for perceived humor of one type or another, I'd like to know that so I don't continue to mess up your forums.