Sign in to follow this  
rgsmile

Refurb PC won't update Windows

I rec'd a refurbished Dell Optiplex 750.

It has updates installed in May 2015, but is short about 80 updates according to Belarc Advisor I ran.

Windows is activated.

What do I do to get the PC to do the Windows Updates?

Thanks in advance for any help.

What O/S?

Can you go to Start>Programs> Windows Update and have it check for updates? If so, will it download and run them from there?

Also check the "settings" while you're in there, I have mine set to "Download Updates but let me choose to install them", that way I can review them before they install. I prefer NOT to let Windows just run rampant automatically installing stuff that I don't know about..... ;)

:geezer:

That doesn't work either. Thanks, though.

And I had changed the settings, but put it back and reset the time for 5 AM this morning, but even then, with the pc on, it didn't update anything. In fact, it didn't even show 5 AM as a point of "checking for updates".

I'm lost.

Yes, it checks for updates, but never stops searching. It's like it is not finding anything so it just keeps spinning. Yes I checked update history and that is where I found the May updates.

Hmmm, "thinking cap" on, tinfoil hat on over that (to ward off the alien Microsoft retractor beams)...gonna have to think about this.....

Windows 7? 8? 8.1?

Win7. I've contacted the supplier, but so far, they have not responded.

With the pc also came a Product Key info sheet, a Win7 Pro 64 Bit disk which includes Service Pack 1 and another one called an Installation CD which includes Dell 760 Drivers. Not sure if this is too much info.

With the pc also came a Product Key info sheet, a Win7 Pro 64 Bit disk which includes Service Pack 1 and another one called an Installation CD which includes Dell 760 Drivers. Not sure if this is too much info.

Not too much info at all...I'd wait to hear from the "supplier" and if they're no help (likely), then if it was me, I'd format and reinstall Windows on that thing and if it gave trouble with "Activation" then call and get it activated.

JMO

I talked to the supplier and he is replacing the PC and is also sending me a disk which includes 2 windows updates that are to be done right after you re-install the OS, which has to be done without being connected to the internet. After these 2 are installed, then you can connect to the internet and should be able to install updates with no problems.

I'll let you all know how that goes.

Have a great day.

It is actually a common problem, so common MS has a fix it for it, that sometimes workd and sometimes doesn't. I have had this issue before, and it is hit or miss whether or not it will just start working or not.

This is a very common problem as Bruce stated. I've noticed this started around November of '15, after Windows 10 came out. It's almost impossible to get all Windows 7 updates after a clean install of Windows 7 today, because WSUS hangs. You'll notice that you'll have a higher cpu usage and no hard drive activity

Someone named Moab came up with this solution that works for me:

This is what I do when I reinstall W7with SP1 or have issues with Windows update stuck on checking for updates.

If Service Pack 1 is not installed, install it before following this guide.

Download KB-3135445 and save it where you can find it later

Download SUR Tool save it to same place

Restart the PC and disconnect from internet before Windows loads, this is important because at every boot windows will check for updates in the background and this will start the checking for updates hang all over again and will prevent the install of the downloaded packages until it finishes checking, so disconnecting from the internet before Windows loads prevents this.

Once booted install KB-3135445, if reboot is required do so and stay disconnected from internet.

Now install the SUR Tool package, this is a big package and will install many updates along with cleaning up and repairing the Windows update store. It will also cut down on how many more Windows updates will need to be installed later.

After install of SUR package reboot, connect to insternet and do a manual Windows Update, it should work much faster now. Even after these fixes I have seen some W7 PC's take up to an hour to finish checking for updates if launched from Control Panel manually.

If you have other Windows updates issues and the 2 updates above are installed, download this Microsoft Windows Update fixit tool (right click "save link as") run it and select aggressive mode to completely reset Windows updates. Reboot and try Windows Updates from the Control Panel again.

But, what if you have run the Fix it tool and that does not help and when you try to run the updates it just runs and runs and runs.

And I firmly believe that Microsoft is purposely doing this, to get all users over to Win 10.

What a Monster Microsoft has become.

This is a very common problem as Bruce stated. I've noticed this started around November of '15, after Windows 10 came out. It's almost impossible to get all Windows 7 updates after a clean install of Windows 7 today, because WSUS hangs. You'll notice that you'll have a higher cpu usage and no hard drive activity

Someone named Moab came up with this solution that works for me:

This is what I do when I reinstall W7with SP1 or have issues with Windows update stuck on checking for updates.

If Service Pack 1 is not installed, install it before following this guide.

Download KB-3135445 and save it where you can find it later

Download SUR Tool save it to same place

Restart the PC and disconnect from internet before Windows loads, this is important because at every boot windows will check for updates in the background and this will start the checking for updates hang all over again and will prevent the install of the downloaded packages until it finishes checking, so disconnecting from the internet before Windows loads prevents this.

Once booted install KB-3135445, if reboot is required do so and stay disconnected from internet.

Now install the SUR Tool package, this is a big package and will install many updates along with cleaning up and repairing the Windows update store. It will also cut down on how many more Windows updates will need to be installed later.

After install of SUR package reboot, connect to insternet and do a manual Windows Update, it should work much faster now. Even after these fixes I have seen some W7 PC's take up to an hour to finish checking for updates if launched from Control Panel manually.

If you have other Windows updates issues and the 2 updates above are installed, download this Microsoft Windows Update fixit tool (right click "save link as") run it and select aggressive mode to completely reset Windows updates. Reboot and try Windows Updates from the Control Panel again.

Thanks for that Joe!

:) Y

But, what if you have run the Fix it tool and that does not help and when you try to run the updates it just runs and runs and runs.

And I firmly believe that Microsoft is purposely doing this, to get all users over to Win 10.

What a Monster Microsoft has become.

I hate to say it but you're likely right about M$. The fix that JoeC posted tho' looks like it would work to me...I'm going to have to save that for future reference myself!

Well, I ran Joe C's post and it started out great. I downloaded and saved the 2 updates, rebooted, went off line before reboot, installed the two updates, rebooted and got back on-line, checked Windows updates and there was 7. @ failed and I retried, but they failed again. I rebooted and ran the fixit tool, rebooted and CHECKED the windows updates AND ALL OFTHE UPDATES THAT WERE INSTALLED DISAPPEARED. Right back to square one.

Screw you Microsoft.

While I was doing my last post here, I was also running the windows updates. It found 4 and they were installed. I then did some other things on another pc and just came back a few minutes ago.

I checked the windows updates History and it only showed the 4 I had installed/ But then I checked the Installed Updates and they were all there. So, it looks like Joes C's deal worked. I hope.

SP2 for Windows 7 ???

Don't know about any Service Pack 2 for Windows 7.

You had said earlier that you had SP1

Windows 7 SP1 is all you need.

:) Y

Maybe there isn't SP2 in Windows 7. I thought it would be in it already as to SP1.

EDIT: I can just do 1 update that will seem to be downloading for hours but maybe I need to be more patient?

Edited by WaterstonFan