Sign in to follow this  
bramblator

Network Adapter

Hi

Can you help me please? It's about this Network adapter, which I'm afraid I don't even know what it is or does.

However it is called "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter - Network Adapter" and this message is given in Device manager - Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

The internet IS working, this is the device details -
Driver file details windows\system32\DRIVERS\vwifimp.sys

I clicked on Update Driver, it found a driver but couldn't verify it.

Any help would be gratefully received

Many thanks Caroline

I believe that is a "feature" of Windows 7. It is a virtual wifi adapter - as in, not physically a "real" one. It is to allow you to operate like you have two wifi adapters. The only use I know for it is if you wanted to use your "regular" wifi adapter to connect to the internet "normally", but also wanted to connect to a separate local or ad-hoc network. You would use the virtual adapter for this.

Most people will never have a need for it.

Are you actually having some issue or are you just curious? If it were me, if everything was working fine... I wouldn't mess with it.

Am I actually having some issues? I'm close to tears at the moment. I'm not very techno minded and I don't know what to do. This issue has come up as a warning on my laptop in the Device and printer section, but my main issue is that my computer is working slower than a snail

I thought that it was something to do with svchost.exe (netsvcs), which seemed to be using the cpu rather a lot, but I don't know what this is or does and now I can't even remember where I found this information.

The CPU seems to be at 100% all the time and is always close to overheating because of this.. Some of the keys on the keyboard have stopped working, (don't know if this is relevant or linked). I searched sites like this for help.

Consequently I have run Combofix, I have run a Disk Check on my Main Hard Drive in Windows and I have done a sfc /scannow. Nothing's changed. Trouble is I have report logs for these, but don't have a clue what they mean or what to do now I have them. I also don't know what to do next.

Sorry, about ranting, I'm out of my depth.

Thanks for asking

Caroline

Edited by bramblator

Head over to the malware forum and start a topic there. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/forum/25-have-i-been-hijacked/

Explain again what you notice happening and then post the reports or logs you've got. Also,please post Farber Recovery Scan Tool logs as requested here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/36065-before-posting-in-this-forum-read-this/. It's alot of information, but a member of the malware team will look it over and try to get you rolling along again.