Sign in to follow this  
oatman

Best VPN?

oatman   

I've just downloaded 2 banking apps on my Android, "not available in your country" by using Tunnel Bear VPN. Are there any opinions on the best VPN? I'm thinking also that airlines check your visits to their searches and jack up the prices. I live overseas most of the time.

Cheers

oatman   

Thanks. I've been through a few sites like that. A lot of it is over my head. I'm UK based but in India most of the time. Then I take a holiday somewhere else! A bit of extra security when travelling won't hurt.

Cheers

oatman   

I'm looking for VPNs which cover SE Asia. Thailand Cambodia Laos Vietnam Indonesia Malaysia. All the reviews have a different No.1!

vpn's need servers in the country your wanting to show as being in when your not as well as servers in the country your in (not sure about 2nd part.), so what vpn service you choose depends on if they have servers in the locations you need in the first place.

eg. tx's vpn of choice, privateinternetaccess.com has servers in these countries :- https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/

so he can pretend to be in any one of those countries using it but as you can see there's no provisions for cambodia, thailand, vietnam for example.

see if this link helps you :- http://securethoughts.com/best-vpn-for-asia/

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

oatman   

I looked at securethoughts. I see that ipvanish has Bangkok, Hanoi, Hong Kong, KL, Singapore. Maybe they'll keep me covered. Not bothered about hiding where I am on my trips. Just keeping secure on wifi etc.

yes any vpn service should do that just as long as they have the servers in the countries you need. :tup:

express vpn servers :- https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn_server_locations

ipvanish servers :- https://www.ipvanish.com/servers/

so i'd say those are your best options without doing any further research on the matter.

oatman   

Yes thanks. Express costs a bit more. I can get 65% discount on IPVANISH for a year so I'm going for that. Thanks for your help.

oatman   

Back again. Didn't like IPVANISH for various reasons and have asked for a refund. Uninstalled on my laptop and now unable to connect to the Internet. On my phone now. System Restore won't work as it can't handle a certain file. It doesn't name it. I can't find any ipvanish files. Maybe still in the registry. Where do I look? Cheers.

no idea, never used ipvanish or any vpn service.

what exactly was the error when doing a system restore?

how are you trying to connect to the internet? wifi or wired lan connection?

see if anything in this troubleshooting guide and links helps :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/cant-connect-internet#1TC=windows-8

also see if resetting your host file allows you to connect to the internet :- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/972034

oatman   

I'm on wifi. Just had ipvanish support playing with dns but no change. Getting late now, I'll have another look tomorrow. Cheers

oatman   

Ipvanish support couldn't fix it! I called my tech man out today. He finally connected via ethernet and went on to find a corrupted driver in wireless (Win7). All sorted now. Going to use TunnelBear on my android for banking while on my travels. Thanks everyone.

ByGeorge   

Hey, I use VPNs all the time, geo blocking is a pain. Travelled a lot too, mainly Europe but back down under for now.. I now use Private Internet Access , just renewed with a discount after letting it lapse at full price :P;) I was having some speed and consistency issues, however that seems to have reduced somewhat lately. I was using Hotspot Shield, but it became very unreliable. PIA have a lot more servers and locations to choose from, at the same price, plus 100MB connections on most servers. Easy set-up and allows 5 connections per account, with android version on my old Samsung S2

Y kawika   

Hey, I use VPNs all the time, geo blocking is a pain. Travelled a lot too, mainly Europe but back down under for now.. I now use Private Internet Access , just renewed with a discount after letting it lapse at full price :P;) I was having some speed and consistency issues, however that seems to have reduced somewhat lately. I was using Hotspot Shield, but it became very unreliable. PIA have a lot more servers and locations to choose from, at the same price, plus 100MB connections on most servers. Easy set-up and allows 5 connections per account, with android version on my old Samsung S2

Heeey! ByGeorge!

How good to see you.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. ByGeorge is one of our first members to frequent these boards way back in the "olden" days. :mrgreen:

Happy belated birthday, chief, I saw that you celebrated a couple of weeks back.

Always a pleasure to see you posting with your extensive experience and knowlege. :tup:

:) Y

ByGeorge   

THANKS ... Long time off the boards and machines, missed the place, but see some of the old names still screwing the M/Bs and vid cards ... Amazed my log in still worked, actually, I do follow the Pit on FB , BTW .. so never far off. I notice my 3rd (AMD boards) place in 2003 (I think it was) test link has gone south :D .. Never mind, this bucket of bolts I am on now would chew its' butt , 3 times over, and my laptop .. well .. maybe 5 times. :P