Sign in to follow this  
JustinP526

How can we get the full speed we pay for?

We have Comcast with 80 Mbps service and every computer, laptop, mobile gets dial up speed when trying to load anything.

Bad enough they are getting ready to start charging per Gb of throughput (like how is done in Australia)... we already can't afford the bill as is and they just want to keep raising it higher and higher.

We pay for 80 Mbps and we want our 80 Mbps.

Maybe it's time to hack Comcast and force their servers to give customers what they payed for!!!

Do they guarantee 80mbs or is it UP TO 80mbs? That's the get out clause!

There are so many variables as to why you may not be getting the true speed but in the UK the speed difference is usually because the fibre only runs to the local exchange before it goes to good old fashioned copper wires; then you need to factor in your distance from the exchage and the age of the wiring in your house.....and that's before we look at your own equipment.

Do any of your friends / neighbours use them? What speeds are they getting?

Does comcast have a site where you can check your expected speed; most providers in the UK offer this service; just gives you an idea of what can be achieved as opposed to what the glossy adverts say.

im sure that its UP TO... but we were getting 85 mbps just a few days ago. now we are lucky if it goes up to 800 kbps

think it showed on the bill that they intend to start charging a set rate for the first 1GB used and then x amount for every Gb used after. thats not fair since their CEOs are the only people who earn enough to afford such a ridiculous amount

we used to get AT&T DSL up until the same thing. they promised 15 Mbps but only delivered 1/10th of that at best.

one day im going to start my own service providing company and give the service for free just to put greedy scum bags like comcast out of business!!!

Here is what the speed test at comcast shows.

1146906044.png

Edited by JustinP526

That's quire strange; normally the upload speed would be less than download; have you contacted them to run checks. They should be able to test the entire line up to your router.

Justin why does it show IPv6 in that pic? I'm running Win 7 and it shows if I open my Network but it also shows "No Internet Access" for IPv6. In that pic it shows you're using IPv6 as well... Just curious if it's throwing a "monkey wrench" into the mix...

:geezer:

looks to me like they may be throttling your connection, what's comcasts fair useage policy and have you or anyone in the home been downloading lots.

:b33r:

No idea about the IPv6, first time I've ever seen that show on any speed test. Guessing it's something that only Comcast does.

As far as I know the only choice for internet in this area is either Comcast cable or AT&T DSL. We don't even have a home phone any longer since couldn't afford the bill and it was shut off.

To the best I know there is very little downloading if any lately. I know mom listens to online radio, would that count towards downloading?

My desktop has been shut down and packed away (that's why I stopped folding) to reduce electric bill since that couldn't get paid on time either and they were about to shut it off too.

As of lately I get on an older laptop that I recently fixed, a Dell XPS M1330.

If it's possible that my laptop wireless card is damaged or going out, I could use the USB one that was being used in desktop. Been looking at a new mini card too, but not sure what's compatible and what's not.

This is what's in there now, came with the laptop and had no guarantee of working condition. It needed a new motherboard since the original one wouldn't power on.

http://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-BCM94321MC-BCM4321-802-11n-Wireless/dp/B00A2G4ZN0

Was looking at something like this, it's half height so I'd have to fabricate a cage or something to make it fit the opening and be able to be screwed down.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815256008

i had an issue just a few weeks ago where i was getting crappy speeds, paid for 150 down but was getting 2 down. called cox cable and they sent a tech out. come to find out my router/modem was going south. that and they had to service my line. wonder if its a hardware issue with router/modem? i bought a new netgear c6300bd dual band router/modem and its fine now

To the best I know there is very little downloading if any lately. I know mom listens to online radio, would that count towards downloading?

everything counts as downloading, because that is exactly what you do when you connect to the internet.

so every web page, video, music file, etc. etc. has to be downloaded to your pc first before it can be read, watched. listened to, etc. etc.

so as an example say your speeds depend on what account type you have, you may find the first 5GB of data per month is transferred at up to say 80Mbs then after that your connection is slowed down to 3Mbs for the remainder of the month before starting again at the fastest speed until you've reached your download limit before slowing down again till the month ends. rinse and repeat on a monthly basis you can still download as much as you want after the slowdown it's just at a much slower speed than your line is capable of.

another reason may be congestion management.

Comcast's current congestion management technique If a certain area of the network nears a state of congestion, our congestion management technique will ensure that all customers have a fair share of network access. This technique will identify which customer accounts are using the greatest amounts of bandwidth, and their Internet traffic will be temporarily managed until the congestion period passes. Customers will still be able to do anything they want online, but they could experience longer times to download or upload files or slower web surfing.

Our technique does not manage congestion based on specific online activities, protocols or applications that a customer uses. Rather, it only focuses on the heaviest users in real time, so that congestion periods tend to be fleeting and sporadic.

It is important to note that the effect of this technique is temporary and has nothing to do with a customer’s aggregate monthly data usage. Rather, it’s dynamic and based on prevailing network conditions as well as a customer’s data usage over a very recent period of time.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/network-management-information

Edited by terry1966

OK, I wasn't sure what "downloading" entailed. To me, just simply browsing the web is browsing, NOT downloading. But it is downloading when I choose to download a new Linux distro. Guess there should be more specifics on that.

Well if that's what is going on, then that should be outlawed for the ISPs to be allowed to do such a thing. Why should I have to wait 20 minutes for my email to load up just because they are greedy?

OK, I wasn't sure what "downloading" entailed. To me, just simply browsing the web is browsing, NOT downloading. But it is downloading when I choose to download a new Linux distro. Guess there should be more specifics on that.

But as Terry says this is downloading. Just browsing the web; the initial handshake your PC does when you switch it on, streaming any media (Radio; spotify; iPlayer) is all downloading data. Basically any interaction between your router and the internet will involve uploading / downloading data; remember uploading cpounts towards your data usage; it's not just the 4gb SUSE dvd that eats into your allowance!

It used to be common practice in the UK to throttle or cap speeds; initially it was to ensure a consistent service to all users; then they started to hit just the high use people and throttled their bandwidth. Thankfully we are past that with the main players (BT, TalkTalk, Sky) all promising never to throttle your connection and having true unlimited broadband.

Well if that's what is going on, then that should be outlawed for the ISPs to be allowed to do such a thing. Why should I have to wait 20 minutes for my email to load up just because they are greedy?

can't say for sure that's what's going on but does look like it to me.

thing to do is log into your account and see exactly what you pay for and what your getting, look at your broadband usage too it will all be there in your account details.

more info here under optimizing your internet :- http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/#

another thing you can do is run comcasts/xfinity speed experience test and see what it says :- https://speedexperience.xfinity.com/

Edited by terry1966

agree or not it's just trolling in my opinion because it had nothing to do with helping solve the problem the topic is about.

ok justins moaning and blaming everything on america and everyone/thing else does get on my nerves too, but personally i try and ignore it (don't always succeed though, just like geewhiz couldn't this time. :rofl3: ) because i think he may have personal issues and it helps him to vent every now and then in his posts.

i think if i was a mod i'd just hide posts 13,15,16,17,18. :mrgreen:

political discussion is where you really want to post such comments justin, there you can vent all you like. ;)

Edited by terry1966

Looks like I missed all the fun.

Yep, guess so... to sum it up, I suffer from really bad depression and when things get worse I've been known to go on really bad rants.

Basically was just going on about capitalism and it causing us super slow internet. I won't go into another rant....

Today we just had 6 hours of no internet and they blamed it on us. Truth is the whole neighborhood had no internet the whole time.

Really sucks since we pay $100/month for 80 meg service and then have to deal with such outages and service that runs at dial up speed. We've decided to ditch Comcast at this point... means nothing to me since I'm moving away anyways!

On depression and rants, you ain't got nothing over me, bro. Buck up, son, you've got someone to go through the travails with you. It's just KB against the world any more.

I don't know if it's sad or what... my parents pay nearly $100/month for 80 meg service at home and it's constantly throttled down to dial up speed.

I now get on for free at Norther Illinois University on open network and get way fast connection speed. Must be the power of the Huskies!! Joking aside, there's Huskies everywhere here!! Beautiful dogs, but a bit much when everyone is wearing Huskies outfits and there's even statues everywhere.

Att just changed out my modem for the second time - tech guy said they had all kinds of problems with the company they were using. My 12-13mbps was all the way down to 2+ - after the change, now running 12-13 again.