Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustinP526

Update Kernel

Everything seems to be working nice except for wireless, I really have no clue why there is still problems with using devices that have Realtek rtl8192cu chip. It really is beyond aggravating that the connection shows to be fully connected but really drops off every 2-5 minutes. Made it a real pain to get software updates done as I had to keep removing connection, disable wireless, re-enable wireless and then reconnect to network only to have it last about 2-5 minutes and have to repeat all that.

Seems lots of devices use this chip, why is it such a pain?

Figured this would be the best guide to follow since it specifies the same wireless chip and for opensuse.

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/503284-Driver-installation-guidelines-for-Realtek-RTL8192CU

Didn't do any of those steps until reading the whole thing first. Get to step 4 and it cuts off the directions (no I don't get the picture.. if I knew how to do it without a guide, I wouldn't have searched for help).

So then I found this one, which at least gives all the directions in a simple, easy to understand manner.

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/realtek-8192cu-opensuse-13-2/76555/6

-Add Pacman repos (Yast)
-Install dkms (Yast)
-Install Git (Yast)
-Update Kernel (Yast)
-Install devel_basis (zypper install --type pattern devel_basis)

Got Packman, dkms and Git no problem. What is Update Kernel in Yast?

And I assume that the last one is just as simple as running "zypper install --type pattern devel_basis" in konsole?

if there's a kernel update for your system then just by going into yast and updating all packages will get and install it for you or just do zypper up in a terminal.

haven't the time now to read links etc and probably won't be online again till sunday but will check in then and see how your getting on.

:b33r:

ok, just checked that and doesn't look like there is any more updates.

After a long troubleshooting in the OpenSuse forums and lots of learning this is what's needed to make it work:

-Add Pacman repos (Yast)
-Install dkms (Yast)
-Install Git (Yast)
-Update Kernel (Yast)
-Install devel_basis (zypper install --type pattern devel_basis)

Code:

git clone https://github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes.git7

Code:

sudo dkms add ./rtl82192cu-fixes

Code:

sudo dkms install 8192cu/1.9

Code:

sudo depmod -a

Code:

sudo cp ./rtl8192cu-fixes/blacklist-native-rtl8192.conf /etc/modprobe.d/

Reboot :)

That's the whole instructions, should be all good except i'm not sure about that devel_basis.

found something when i searched for devel_basis in Yast -> software management. installed it and then tried the directions above. got to the 2nd one for add fixes and it gave an error about not finding some file or directory. gave me too much of a headache (yes a literal headache) to look for it.

ended up going here:

http://david-latham.blogspot.co.nz/2013/12/asus-usb-n10-nano-on-opensuse-131-linux.html

a short ways down there is an .rpm package for the driver listed. so i just did that and at the least i can say, it now shows 100% signal and the status indicator LED on the device now flashes during activity, instead of staying steadily lit. still seeing a max of only 800 KiB/s throughput however.

tried to install Google Chrome, but that kept giving me an error about user cancelled action or something like that. ended up installing Chromium and pepper flash since some sites won't load up in Firefox because it says "install flash 11.7 or better".

also not sure if i'm supposed to install some kind of driver for graphics adapter (Radeon HD 8370D) that is part of this APU. kind of afraid to in case it ends up causing reboot loops like i had when trying to run Linux Mint live.