Sign in to follow this  
JustinP526

Wifi trouble

How do I determine which is causing trouble.. interference, router, specific machine or possibly cable modem or ISP issues?

My PC already had to be repaired after having it for only 5 months. The wifi adapter was also replaced after having it for only 1 month. PC is repaired and running fine, new wifi adapter was working just fine for about 1 week and now it keeps dropping to 100kbps maximum throughput and often drops to 0 and waits up to 5 minutes before any transfer or receive.

I can see the router is set to channel 11, but can't find any option to change channels. I do see (via Speccy) other available networks which are also on channel 11.

I think the cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard, but not sure of the model. I know it's supplied by the ISP (Comcast) and it should be DOCSIS 3.0 but not sure of anything else.

I'm told that we should have 50 meg service but have no clue as to how close to that we actually get.

Windows task manager shows my connection as Wi-Fi 4 ... why does it do that? What happened to 1 through 3? Windows is such trash... especially 8.1

This is my machine:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertronpc-assault-a46-desktop-amd-a4-series-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/9476171.p?id=1219418158123&skuId=9476171

Using this wifi adapter:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-mini-wireless-n-usb-adapter-black/2080328.p?id=1219528553140&skuId=2080328

I think it's this router (just know it's a Linksys E2500):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-dual-band-wireless-n-router-with-4-port-ethernet-switch-black/6571467.p?id=1218760165712&skuId=6571467

My first suggestion would be a factory reset on the router.

Try a wired connection to rule out the USB adaptor.

Is it just your machine that is affected or are all connected devices also running slow (Xbox, Phones etc)

http://www.speedtest.net/

Will give you a good indication of actual speed; they do apps for phones so you can compare PC to phone; this might help isolate where the issue is.

Well here is what I see from my machine via wireless

4597140527.png

I know my dad's laptop (Dell Inspiron 17R) has been getting really slow internet lately too, but we were just assuming it's got infections again. My younger sister has a laptop, XBOX 360 and PS4, I believe all of them have connection... but no idea whether working well or not.

There is a Dell desktop machine that is connected via ethernet cable to the router's main ethernet port (#1 out of 4).

No clue how long we've had current cable modem and router, possibly a year to a year and half.

It's just so aggravating that my machine shows up and down speeds of 8.0 Kbps and then drops to 0 bps and will sit like that for few minutes before doing anything.

This usb adapter should be fine since I just got it a week ago.

Still need to see about getting an RMA on my Asus USB-N13 one since it's still under warranty and not working.

Don't know if it helps, but here's a couple of screenshots. Shows down speed at 2.4 Mbps and 9.3 Mbps while the up speed is 40 Kbps and 232 Kbps. While uploading the screenshots to photobucket the task manager then showed down speed at ~250 Kbps and up at 10.3 Mbps.

Upload was almost instant, but when trying to go to any website it will sit on a blank screen with the loading wheel spinning. So it shows a good down speed as if it's doing something, but really just showing a blank page for minutes at a time.

th_stupidwifi_zps7bg82xok.png

th_wifijunk_zps5g2davrl.png

Have you tried a wired connection? That will pin point a wireless issue.

You need to find out if any other family members are experiencing the same issues. Even run a speed test on your sisters laptop.

You could also try:

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad:

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Vista and Windows 7... right click the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Tried the factory reset of router and now not able to see it listed as an available network from my PC nor from the laptops.

I'm logged on to some other network that is unsecured just to post this. Don't know if it's a neighbor or what...

Tried the factory reset of router and now not able to see it listed as an available network from my PC nor from the laptops.

I'm logged on to some other network that is unsecured just to post this. Don't know if it's a neighbor or what...

What nigsy had you do is NOT a factory reset, just a flush of the DNS. It should make everything just like it was the first time you connected your router and PC's to each other...

:geezer:

Up in post #2 I see

My first suggestion would be a factory reset on the router.

Try a wired connection to rule out the USB adaptor.

Is it just your machine that is affected or are all connected devices also running slow (Xbox, Phones etc)

http://www.speedtest.net/

Will give you a good indication of actual speed; they do apps for phones so you can compare PC to phone; this might help isolate where the issue is.

I've also tried the suggestion for flushing DNS dozens of times in the past from Windows XP to current. It never seems to do anything at all. Maybe because I use CCleaner and have it set to clear DNS cache.

How does doing factory reset on router kill off all wireless transmission? It is a wireless router, that is it's main purpose. Guess it's time to stop buying Linksys products too.

You need to make a wired connection to the router or manually connect by setting the SSID and password on your PC. It maybe the default setting (factory setting) is to not transmit the SSID.

The default password/ SSID is normally on the bottom of the router.

I still advise a wired connection. Open a browser and go to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100

You will need the admin user / password; again should be on the base of the router but it's usually admin / admin or administrator / administrator

Check it is making the SSID visible.

There is nothing wrong with Linksys products!!

Thanks very much, I'll check into that now!

As far as Linksys products go, if I remember, we've had already at least 2 different routers with in the past year. I was using a Cisco Valet AM10 USB adapter and that died after 6 months of use. It would get so hot that touching it would cause an instant burn.

OK, think we got it all sorted with the router.

I'm still seeing some pages showing up with the loading icon just sitting there spinning away. Guess my PC is "too far away" from the router. Funny how newer "better" n band devices work less the further away. Yet my old Belkin F5D7050 g band adapter always had full signal and full throughput from the same distance away from the router.

Anyway, got one of these range extenders: (not a bad deal price wise, considering Best Buy wants $60 and Newegg wants $90)

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-RE3000W-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender/dp/B00KMXUOUQ

Should be easy to set up, but I'm wondering how well it's going to work. Directions say to keep it as far away as possible from masonry and metal. Well no problem on the masonry, this house is 100+ years old wood frame. Too bad the only thing holding it up is all the miles and miles of over sized duct work that was put in when previous owners finally installed central HVAC system. There used to be a boiler for heat, but that apparently burned up half the building some years ago (before we moved in) and they had to rebuild so much.

Anyway, got one of these range extenders: (not a bad deal price wise, considering Best Buy wants $60 and Newegg wants $90)

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-RE3000W-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender/dp/B00KMXUOUQ

Should be easy to set up, but I'm wondering how well it's going to work.

TBH I've only had bad experiences with these extenders. The range they state is usually very over exagerated and the speed throughput is terrible and that's after you've gone through the pain of setting them up.

It's a more expensive solution; but one that I use, is Homeplug Network, basically your whole elctrical wiring loom in the house becomes an ethernet cable and you can plug the homeplugs into any socket you like to extend the network. Everyroom in our house has one and the summer house and garage have seperate WiFi homeplugs on seperate SSIDs so the garden has full wireless coverage. I use Devolo products and recomend them:

http://www.devolo.com/uk/Products/dLAN-Powerline-adapters

If I had things my way I'd just run some fresh CAT6 through the walls and put an ethernet port in every room of the house. Aside from the cost of all the needed CAT6 cable, it's not my house and doubt they'd give me permission to the associated work.

I'm guessing Comcast increased speed at some point, thought we're supposed to be getting 60 meg service but I'm told really we're on for 75 meg. I had no idea that cable went so high, thought those speeds were only possible on fibre optic (Verizon FiOS for example, which we don't get here even though neighboring town does only 2 miles west). Mom ran a few speed tests while the router was down and for direct connection she was actually getting more like 85 Mbps! Once router is reconnected it then drops to about 65 Mbps.

I would love to run the cable drop directly to a service panel and from there connect it to signal splitter and run multiple circuits, each with it's own amplifier so that all would get a steady connection with no need for wireless.

No idea what is going on, but speed test shows I'm getting 13M down and 12M up. Yet at the same time websites won't load right away. Doesn't matter if I use FireFox or Chrome, it will start to load and then drop off to 0 bps and just do nothing. At that point I will have to close browser, run CCleaner and start all over again.

4608503755.png

*edit*

Thought I would add that I've noticed when it seems to do nothing I can click the browser's minimize button then click the pinned icon at the bottom of the screen next to the Windows start button and it will have instantly loaded. But that is ridiculous to have to keep minimizing and restoring the browser every time I go to another site or click any link.

Edited by JustinP526

This has got me stumped!

Have you got any add-ons on the browsers (Ad block plus, No script etc); try turning all of them off just to see if it's something like that causing the issue.

TRy opening IE in safe mode; click on search; type: “iexplore -extoff" without the quotes and hit enter....

See if running it in safe mode makes in any difference.

I use Blur and Ad Block Plus with Chrome and Firefox. Haven't use IE for anything other than a Pit test a few months ago, don't think I have any extensions on that one.

I will give those a go and see if it helps. Otherwise I may just prep everything so to wipe Win8.1 and install Linux so it has a better OS :mrgreen:

I will give those a go and see if it helps. Otherwise I may just prep everything so to wipe Win8.1 and install Linux so it has a better OS :mrgreen:

As an openSUSE user I couldn't agree more - but joking aside....It might be an idea to run a live Cd - Ubuntu or something and see how that performs compared to windows.

Hard to say, but it almost seems like everything loads faster. Speed test shows a drop in speed though, but the ads are showing too.

This is in Chrome with all extensions disabled. There is only 5 listed: Blur 4.9.1797, AdBlock Plus 1.9.1, Google Docs 0.9, Google Sheets 1.1, Google Slides 0.9

4610169586.png

Of course I would try first with a live CD. I have openSUSE and Mint (forget which ones, but newer and 64 bit). I tried installing Mint a while ago using a spare HDD and it wouldn't go, guessing because the UEFI BIOS. Ran nice live though, most trouble I should have would be limited wifi due to this adapter uses Realtek RTL8192CU chipset. Think that's the same one that's used in my Asus USB-N13 and it has driver problems in Linux, but can be fixed.

Well I don't know, but it's still doing it. I'm assuming it has to be software related since speed tests show I can get good throughput upwards of 15 Mb/s in both directions. Yet trying to load up anything in Chrome or Firefox just sits and does nothing while task manager shows down speed of 1.5 Mbps and up of 25 Kbps. There's a green activity LED on the wireless dongle and it's flashing like crazy. I even tried switching the dongle to a different USB port and no difference. Moved the PC to another location and no difference.

Time to try Linux live and maybe do full install. Windows shows this adapter as "Wi-Fi 4"... the original one was just shown as "Wi-Fi". When it quit working I tried using my Asus USB-N13 one to see if it was any good (it will receive fine but won't send so going to RMA it since there is still warranty), then tried my old Cisco Valet Connector AM10 (it only works if I hold it and squeeze, guessing the chipset has come unsoldered due to high heat). So does Windows count those even though everything from them has been uninstalled?

Also noticed in device manager, under network adapters it shows the onboard LAN port listed like this:

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2

Why the #2? There is only one port. No wonder people have so much trouble with Windows machines and always looking for help, it's a broken OS that never gets fixed properly.

Why does it show as Wi-Fi 4? There is only 1 wireless connection.

Why does it keep dropping to 7 Mbps? It used to be always at 144 Mbps like wireless n device should.

th_wifistatus_zpshaa0ddni.png

Who do I have to kill in order to get a straight answer?

Justin, part of the answer could be in "how many people in your area are using the internet at the same time"? It does put a drain on the signal, especially at peak times...i.e. before everyone leaves for work, after lunch, right after school, right after dinner, etc...I find that my 10 Mb/s download speed drops to about 6 Mb/s during those times, but at 1:00am I get slightly more than 10 Mb/s...

Everyone in our small town (pop. 280) shares the same main internet line, and when we're all starting our day, speed drops. Same thing about 7-8pm.....

edit: have you tried pinging your ISP? Have you tried running a tracert to some place like PCPitstop?

pingpcccc.jpg

tracerege.jpg

No, it's only my machine that keeps dropping to 7 Mbps connection speed. The wifi adapter is brand new. We have 85 Mbps coming into the house and my machine is the only one getting 12 Kbps throughput.

Can't even get Linux to do anything on this machine because it loads up the minute I click anything the machine reboots.

This is exactly why I had for so many years stuck to old socket 478 and 939 stuff. This new UEFI crap is worthless and nothing but a damn headache.

Ahhh, I see...never used MSI boards, some guy's swear by them but I've always stuck to Asus or Gigabyte after I started building my own.

Also, it looks like that's an AM2/AM2+ board and it has a UEFI BIOS?

Might add that my very first board was an ECS K7S5A and man did it have problems till we figured them all out. First time I tried to O/C my Duron chip I fried 'em both! Graduated to an ECS K7S5A Pro board after that with some Athlon chips and had good luck, but quickly graduated up to Asus, then on to Gigabyte.