Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troothteller

Network HD Installation Causes Windows XP Problems

I should probably be thankful that everything works on my wireless network. On July 11th I installed a Western Digital My Cloud wireless network hard drive. Already on my network I have a Konica magicolor 1690MF color laser all-in-one. My host computer runs Windows 7 64-Bit SP1 which shows no detectable problems. However, my remote computer runs Windows XP-Professional SP3. In Device Manager there is a component under Network Adapters called RAS Async Adapter, for which the Microsoft name would be Microsoft Server ActiveSync. My ISP thinks this component is essential to Internet Connections even though many users live with the same problem, not being able to eliminate the yellow "!" I am afraid it might rob that system of resources. It does not connect to any device and rolling back or uninstalling the driver does not work. One thread suggested that allowing it under Windows Firewall might solve the problem. To my surprise, Windows Firewall on my XP was turned on, which I never set to do because I have always installed and enabled third party firewalls, in this case Private Firewall on both my computers. In Control Panel I cannot bring up the settings for Windows Firewall. The error message is that it cannot connect with Windows Firewall/ Internet Connections Service. How should I approach this? I have a huge archive of Registry backups; or I can reboot and choose Last Good Configuration. Help, Juliet!

Try setting the XP pc up on a static IP address and make sure you forward the correct ports on your router. See if that helps.

I forgot to describe my experience defragging. If you want I can post the log. Monday night I started defragging the same computer in Safe Mode. By 8 AM yesterday it was only 42% done. At about 10:15 AM it completed with a message that it could not defrag some files. I thought maybe the file system caused the driver in question to run without recognizing the device. Also, I just checked into this and I am afraid to try any of it. I don't think any of the Window instructions apply because my router probably does it all. The router is a Linksys E1000. During the previous posts I should have said something about your site's scans. I can no longer run Overdrive, which is unfortunate because it might have revealed something important to this thread. Also, I have Driver Alert; but it did not reveal the availability of the relevant driver.

Sorry I can't make sense of your post.

You seem to have multiple issues that may or may not be related to your initial post.

Have you tried my suggestion RE setting XP up on a static IP?

Try using AusLogics defragger rather than windows built in. You may still get files that can't be defragged; it could indicate bad sectors on the hard drive.

It's really time to ditch XP to be fair!!

If it helps, someone off the forum site in your Customer Service is trying to figure out why I cannot run Overdrive. However, I would use a driver from your archive if you know of one that solves this problem. This computer is Windows 7, not the one with the problems. I am going over to the XP now to try to setup the static address, which will probably be 192.168.1.112. No, I am not going to ditch XP simply because someone out there thinks we should buy everything new. What's come along since is just as menacing. Many who live abroad think the withdrawal of support for XP is a scheme. Anyway, I cannot follow your advice to change the address of my XP computer as I just tried without loosing my Internet connection altogether, something I suspected.