Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Btuvi

Internet Expl won't connect to internet but firefox will

IE won't connect to net but firefox will. I googled windows 7 solutions to the problem and tried every suggestion I saw but to no avail.

Without IE I can't run a pitstop scan.

What now?

Thanks.

However, right after posting the above I went to gmail using firefox and opened an email sending me my insurance cards to be printed. This opened with IE and I was able to print cards. Still can't connect using IE.

Open IE and go to the top right corner of the window, click the "gear" icon to open the menu, go to Internet Options and then the Connections tab, at the bottom of the box click on LAN Settings, click Automatically Detect Settings to ensure that it is checked.

Can you connect now?

:geezer:

Auto LAN was already checked - and I could not connect. I'm disappointed - in you. Based on experience going back years I thought you were magic man and I expected it to work. I refuse to let my disappointment overwhelm me and will focus on the idea that even magic man can't always be right first time every time. You're still magic man to me.

Any other thoughts.

Try this:

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Vista and Windows 7... right click the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Let us know how you get on...

:geezer:

I tried it twice. The first time Avira popped up and said host file won't allow blah blah blah - and nothing came up about "run as admin" - but it did shut down and restart. The second time I unclicked the box enabling Avira but still had the same experience as the first time - except that Avira didn't pop up - no option to run as admin but it shut down and restarted computer. Am I getting all that I should be getting out of flush.bat - and where is run as admin.

Also, just noticed that on reboot Avira automatically rechecked box enabling Avira.

Tried it a third time. This time unchecked avira and when I right clicked flush.bat I was able to click on run as admin. Computer did a restart but ie still said, can't display page.

Perhaps, if you wouldn't mind and aren't busy just this moment, you could run over to my house and fix this business in person. I'm sure you could do it and we could eliminate me as the middle man.

You can go to Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings (button) and verify that there is not a check mark in the box to use a proxy server. If there is, remove it and click OK, Apply, etc, then try IE again.

What version of IE? I would recommend reinstalling or upgrading to the latest version.

To reinstall you will need to first uninstall IE through Windows Updates in Programs and Features.

I went to Programs, internet explorer, right clicked, went to powerful uninstall and got this message.

Cannot uninstall ie.exe because this action might cause instability.