Sign in to follow this  
garystan

Windows 10

@terry

If MS is programs are so bad and windows is a virus, Why don't you sit down to write a better OS. Not a Linux system but a OS from scratch.

@Nigsy

I think it is great of MS to work so hard to get out all this update to combats problem. if apple was the same it would be great. Yes family members have apple and I see that problem for them where is takes some times month to get a patch.

But No one is safe against the writer of viruses. MS, APPLE, UNIX, Linux, Smart phone, Tablets. In that case we are all in trouble if we do not keep up with the latest patch or anti-virus.

BTW thanks for the welcome

@Nigsy

I think it is great of MS to work so hard to get out all this update to combats problem.

I think you miss the point. If the OS was written more securley in the first place then the ammount of holes that need patching on a monthly basis would be far less. All MS have to do is follow Linux and Apple and lock the OS down; To say everyone is at risk of Viruses isn't quite true; I do not run any AV on my Linux setup, I have a hardware firewall but that's it. For me to get any virus would take me to do something really stupid and open root up to an unknown app, not going to happen as I only use the official repositories.

@terry

If MS is programs are so bad and windows is a virus, Why don't you sit down to write a better OS. Not a Linux system but a OS from scratch.

why would i need to do that? simple solution is to not use windows and use any other os i like, which by the way are all better than windows in my opinion, so that is exactly what i do. just so happens my os of choice is linux and opensuse,

so why would i want to write my own os, which by the way i am more than capable of doing, if i lived long enough that is. :rofl3:

one program i wrote was a program so a user could input data into a data base and then display it in any graphical format they required, pie chart, bar graph, line graph, etc that was in 1982 long before windows office was even born, which is what you'd probably use today to do the same thing, incidentally that was the year i built my first pc too and then unlike today you did actually need to use a soldering iron to do so..

probably the thing i'm most proud of is that me and a mate built and programmed a device so a handicapped person could turn on and off up to 4 devices by use of a mercury switch attached to their head seeing how that was all they could move.

Oh if i only i knew then what i know now, i could probably have been very wealthy. :laughing:

you want to use windows then that's fine, lots of people do.

personally i don't.

i'm just the person anyone who knows me comes to, to fix the problems those people who do use it get. ;)

actually windows has gotten a lot better over the years and windows 10 is probably the best and safest made yet, if only m$ didn't think they owned my hardware and any software on it then i'd probably have at least 1 windows pc up and running. :P

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

I think you miss the point. If the OS was written more securley in the first place then the ammount of holes that need patching on a monthly basis would be far less. All MS have to do is follow Linux and Apple and lock the OS down; To say everyone is at risk of Viruses isn't quite true; I do not run any AV on my Linux setup, I have a hardware firewall but that's it. For me to get any virus would take me to do something really stupid and open root up to an unknown app, not going to happen as I only use the official repositories.

Written more securely? ...now insert the words "determined criminals" in there and see if patching would change any...oh, yeah, every new OS version is more secure but the patches keep coming don't they?. Technically, there is no such thing as secure while on the grid, about as much as there exists perfect code. There are plenty of Linux vulnerabilities discovered, patched and delivered like any OS, 5 this month alone just for Ubuntu. Code can be injected through exploits without you doing anything allowing arbitrary code execution.

You might be super careful with what you execute on your system but little good that will do you when criminals attack servers and steal CC's, SN's..etc. Just your medical records alone is all they need and that type of thing rests on the attention span and mindfulness of millions of nurses and receptionists. So I find the discussion of malware on one's personal computer quite moot as everyone should worry more about what you have on other companies servers. I'm sure you remember Target's or Sony's PSN little fiasco some time back. Just being a consumer anywhere leaves you exposed.

So a lot of good being security minded on a mac did me when my personal info was stolen..and then sold and used mind you, from Anthem not long ago along with everyone else that had Anthem, just because that's the insurance my work place provides. Fortunately I have lifelock which saved me any hassle whatsoever, they just notified me and took care it and my bank did a very good job getting my CC sorted out with little hassle other than having to wait 2 weeks for a new card but these things are becoming common and for some it can be quite a headache to get it sorted. One of my co workers had to drive 2 hours away to Indianapolis to get his stuff sorted out and prove he was who he was.

Malware? lol, that's child's play to sort out by comparison. Keep an external updated image both on cloud and external drive. Tons of automatic software that does this for you, so no one has an excuse. Change passwords regularly, plenty of password encrypting software out there. when you feel uneasy then use it. Simple. So there is no reason for anyone to proclaim being a paranoid super computer genius nor defend/attack an OS, just be glad we have so many options available to us.

people really want to install an os where they have absolutely no control over what it does? :laughing:

Ars Technica has been testing how the new operating system behaves when various monitoring functions are enabled or disabled, and what they’ve found is that the operating system can’t resist phoning home, even when ordered not to do so.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/212160-windows-10-still-phones-home-even-when-ordered-not-to-do-so

:b33r:

Media creation tool > make iso to recover

One thing to note using a DVD created with Media Creation Tool. Should the system in question be completely wiped, or if installing clean, then there will be no prior Windows Key for 10 to grab onto for "upgrading". In which case, the "clean" install will require a new purchased Key from MS to activate Win 10.

This is being discussed by people in SETI@Home, Number Crunching, Win 10 Yea or Nay Thread. Many at SETI have already upgraded to, or installed clean, Win 10 and are using it without much issue. A couple people decided to Roll Back their install to the prior Windows Version - 7, 8, or 8.1 respectively.

I just upgraded my dad's new ASUS laptop from 8.1 to 10 Pro using Media Creation Tool, and choosing "Upgrade this computer now". This option, (instead of having me create an .iso DVD image), immediately began running the Upgrade and downloaded Win 10 installation files to the laptop. It wasn't made clear that I had to go to the newly created folder's name, open that, find the Windows Folder there, open that, and execute Setup.exe. It took a second try at the Media Creation Tool, which then downloaded another copy of these Win 10 files to another obscurely named set of folders, and then 10 minutes of hunting and searching through the hard drive to find what I was looking for... That aside, once I ran the Setup.exe file, Win 10 Upgraded the existing Win 8.1 on dad's laptop without incident.

I also, in a prior use of Media Creation Tool, made .iso images of Win 10 Home and Pro x64 and burned copies of each for my own hard copies. I currently have one Win 7 Pro system that requires the use of Win 10 Pro to Upgrade to; and, two other family systems that are on Win 7 Home Premium that require the Win 10 Home DVD.

TL

One thing to note using a DVD created with Media Creation Tool. Should the system in question be completely wiped, or if installing clean, then there will be no prior Windows Key for 10 to grab onto for "upgrading". In which case, the "clean" install will require a new purchased Key from MS to activate Win 10.

TL

I am not sure this is totally true. I have upgraded 2 systems from WIn 8.1 to Win 10. Then I wiped one system drive clean and used the disk to clean install with the disk l I created with Media Creation Tool. I even removed the hard drive from my laptop and used the disk on a brand new SSD with nothing on it and clean installed WIn 10 and it activated fine on both computers.

Edited by edw6698

I am not sure this is totally true. I have upgraded 2 systems from WIn 8.1 to Win 10. Then I wiped one system drive clean and used the disk to clean install with the disk l I created with Media Creation Tool. I even removed the hard drive from my laptop and used the disk on a brand new SSD with nothing on it and clean installed WIn 10 and it activated fine on both computers.

Microsoft does not use a key to activate your pc, It uses a hardware ID specific to only your pc because each pc has it's own ID number. Once you activate the pc through the upgrade option, you'll be activated on that pc until the end of that pc's life (motherboard). So it does not matter if you replace the hard drive or do a clean install because the minute you go on line, Microsoft's servers will find your hardware ID and will auto-activate you.

You can get a Windows 10 Media Creation Tool that will makean USB drive bootable with Windows 10 installation files. It is available @ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Device drivers and software extras can usually be found at the brand web sites for a particular brand & model of the supported device.

Edited by deebee09