Sign in to follow this  
Guns

Why We The Pit Crew Fold

WHY I FOLD

This is not easy to put down indicative of a lot of things in my life.
Have sat with two of my uncles, two aunts, my father, mother and sister as they passed away with cancer.
I have one first cousin with leukemia now and one uncle with Alzheimer’s and his wife passed away with the same.
Two other uncles have passed with this disease, as anyone can see this and cancer run in my family. I have had cancer surgery myself and it is very unpleasant.

While I was in the hospital my visits to the children's cancer ward gave me incentive even above what my family and I have endured. These little kids are so brave it puts me to shame, one time as I watched one of them throwing up put my hand on her shoulder as she looked up wiping her mouth off she seen me and smiled. How can that not be respected this little girl is fighting for her life with all she has but still smiles.

I had a person tell me one time your a brave man you have all these medals from the war. My response to him took no time at all, no was just too scared to do anything other than fight back.

That little girl should have been the one given the medals.
Those little kids are why I fold!

If you choose let us know why you fold I know it's not something easy to do.

TBH; I don't fold for any altruistic reason, I am part of the Pitstop team, and for me that means supporting some of you outside of the Pit as well as offering my time in the forums.

I fold for much the same reason as Guns...Alzheimer's runs in my family and I watched my mother pass from it...then there are the kids...have a little 2nd grade boy that lives not far away with leukemia, his name is Kayden Samyn and I support him through Folding and other means. http://www.bradenshope.org/

Fold On people!

:geezer:

I've been told that my family has highest risk for heart disease, not sure about anything else though. I know my mother's father has a pace maker and he's diabetic, but all in all he's in great health. On my father's side, his mother passed away some years ago and we were told the cause was stroke. Aside from that, the rest on dad's side just suffer from being crazy.

Mom's grandmother passed away a couple years ago (she made it to 103!!) but I'm not sure anyone heard any specific cause.. so probably just natural.

Outside of family, I had a good friend in middle school (roughly 20 years ago now) who had leukemia. Last I heard she is still around and doing very well, so at least some good news there.

My next door neighbor is an RN at the local VA hospital, I'm sure she sees lots patients with cancer and such.

[just a generalization since it's a hospital either way, you should expect to see sick people there]

She has told me that her son (and his girlfriend) work with autistic children. Not sure there's any folding projects for autism though.

Personally, I fold mostly on account of it's interesting and in hopes of finding cures for the worst afflictions. Especially like Guns says, for those kids who have to suffer.

Never found any extraterrestrial intelligence while I was running Seti in the early years; Jazzy invited me into the Seti team first, so I honored her request.

I've since switched over to Fold and to support the Team and PC Pitstop. If my little bit can help others as well, then it's all a win-win.

:) Y

My story is going to be very similar to what has already been shared. My mom died of cancer when I was 14. My husband died of agent orange related cancer in 2006. If something I fold helps find a cure for *any* disease and can keep the sadness away for many people, then I can smile.

I fold to be part of the Team, mostly. I hope that my folding actually contributes to finding a cure, (or cures), for disease. I wish I had LOTS of money to bring more computers online with powerful NVIDIA cards, (GTX-780, and 980 cards.)

Right now, I have two computers; Exeter, (AMD A6 with NVIDIA GTX-760), dedicated to SETI and Einstein, and Prometheus, (Pentium E-5200 with GTX-275), dedicated to SETI and Folding@Home. F@H crunches on CPU on Prometheus while the 275 crunches SETI and Einstein. I'd like to get Exeter crunching on CPU; but, with the GPU crunching multiple WUs at a time and needing one core of the CPU to feed it, I'm afraid of bogging Exeter down, and causing errors on the GPU crunching. Plus, because, as I've noticed that the F@H program utilizes ALL crunching hardware that it sees as available, that it might overutilize the GPU while it crunches SETI and Einstein. If I could make sure that it played nice with SETI and Einstein, I'd be happy to run it at the same time as BOINC SETI and Einstein. BOINC is VERY touchy about utilization, and if resources are taken from BOINC for F@H, then errors would occur on SETI and Einstein crunching.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing... Maybe others of you who've had experience crunching BOINC and F@H on a GPU at the same time can chime in and let me know if it's possible to crunch both on BOINC and F@H on the GPU at the same time without incident. I'd like to know.

TL

I fold to be part of the Team, mostly. I hope that my folding actually contributes to finding a cure, (or cures), for disease. I wish I had LOTS of money to bring more computers online with powerful NVIDIA cards, (GTX-780, and 980 cards.)

Right now, I have two computers; Exeter, (AMD A6 with NVIDIA GTX-760), dedicated to SETI and Einstein, and Prometheus, (Pentium E-5200 with GTX-275), dedicated to SETI and Folding@Home. F@H crunches on CPU on Prometheus while the 275 crunches SETI and Einstein. I'd like to get Exeter crunching on CPU; but, with the GPU crunching multiple WUs at a time and needing one core of the CPU to feed it, I'm afraid of bogging Exeter down, and causing errors on the GPU crunching. Plus, because, as I've noticed that the F@H program utilizes ALL crunching hardware that it sees as available, that it might overutilize the GPU while it crunches SETI and Einstein. If I could make sure that it played nice with SETI and Einstein, I'd be happy to run it at the same time as BOINC SETI and Einstein. BOINC is VERY touchy about utilization, and if resources are taken from BOINC for F@H, then errors would occur on SETI and Einstein crunching.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing... Maybe others of you who've had experience crunching BOINC and F@H on a GPU at the same time can chime in and let me know if it's possible to crunch both on BOINC and F@H on the GPU at the same time without incident. I'd like to know.

TL

Your CPU will work better if you keep your cores on even numbers no matter what your doing. Even if you only have one GPU folding you should hold back two GPU threads to support it.

Wish I could recall where I read about this just know it works that way kind of keeps your CPU happy.

I fold for a simple selfish reason. Cancer took mom. This is my way to fight back at this nasty enemy of many. Maybe, just maybe I can help in the battle. :yup:

Here's a good example of why we fold "for the kids".

http://educateinspirechange.org/inspirational/girl-collapses-every-race-find-will-break-heart/

By the way, any of you know if there's current projects on Multiple Sclerosis?

*EDIT*

The above link comes from a good friend of mine (via Facebook) from Netherlands.

Edited by JustinP526

Initially I started folding for the fun. At the time (2003-2005) there where several subfolding teams at pcpitstop having a competition (do a search on Neotech2k4 or Adammaxisteam).

I also contributed to the jmol project (doing translation work): a graphical molecular program that folding@home used. I think this is not continued anymore. And I wrote the http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/152666-how-to-join-the-pc-pitstop-folding-home-team/ topic (very outdated now :P). So I was quite a dedicated folding member.

Due to personal circumstances, I stopped folding for quite a while.

Quite recently, I lost my mother due to cancer,so I decided to start folding again.

Must say I'm happy to contribute again :clap:

I'll get the koffbox back online soon, just been busy af and not had time to dedicate towards my puter.

I fold for Alzheimers research as it runs rampant on both sides of my family.

I was in hopes that all team members old and new would let us know why they fold, any reason is a good one share as much or as little as you want.

It gives us a chance to get to know you and you to know us, we do have a great bunch of people in our small team. :)

I'm already down bro'...my reasons are up there /\...would be nice to see why others Fold tho' I suspect for much the same reasons as you and I. Let's see...

I would have to say the decision to fold or not to fold is one of being able to do something because i can.

I have some computer stuff, there is a research project that uses that computer stuff, so why not use my stuff to do that research?

I have the tools to do job so the right thing to do is use them to do that job.

I also fold because my grandparents and parents suffered Alzheimers and parkinsons.

even more selfishly i fold because in my work life i worked with many solvents, herbicides, pesticides etc, and possibly folding research will benefit me directly in the future.

i also fold because as a kid i saw myself growing up to do something like the Panda group, had i taken different paths in life i might have ended up being a researcher doing science stuff.

We do have a great bunch of people on our small team, I'm proud to be part of it.

Keep on folding!!

Just wanted to update, (though this is overdue), that Prometheus is NO LONGER a Pentium E-5200 system. Thanks to Guns, it is now a QX9650 Quad Core system. I did transfer the GTX-750 TI SC to it from the E-5200 MOBO. Been crunching SETI for awhile now. Unfortunately, SETI is currently out of GPU work.

I have already switched Exeter, (my GTX-760 rig), to F@H. Prometheus will follow suit tomorrow morning. :)

Fold On everyone!!!!! :)

TL

Just wanted to update, (though this is overdue), that Prometheus is NO LONGER a Pentium E-5200 system. Thanks to Guns, it is now a QX9650 Quad Core system. I did transfer the GTX-750 TI SC to it from the E-5200 MOBO. Been crunching SETI for awhile now. Unfortunately, SETI is currently out of GPU work.

I have already switched Exeter, (my GTX-760 rig), to F@H. Prometheus will follow suit tomorrow morning. :)

Fold On everyone!!!!! :)

TL

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't know how many of you remember me but I decided to drop by to say hello and let those here know my wife Debbie found peace on Friday Feb 12 from the long road of Alzheimer's decline. she was 62 years old. Thanks for all the friendship and support over the years.

Best regards to all,

MichaelB

Edited by cmstpprr

Very heart felt condolences to you and your family MichaelB. I just want to add that when I think of our folding team I think of you and your contributions made to the team....never to be forgotten and thank you. :)