Sign in to follow this  
freedom01

Best FREE Virus Protection?

Not to sound cheap, but interested in what may be the best free virus protection for Widows 8.1 and Windows 7? Just received word that Windows Defender and or MS Essentials does not give the best protection. I was looking around and I came across AVG which I have used in the past for many years, but removed a few years ago after reading it was having issues. This is the first I am hearing about Panda http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/windows8/ (Not real sure of which download to choose). I would really appreciate some assistance on the wisest choice. Thank you!

As for which free versus paid for Antivirus I have to leave this up to you but, I've always stayed with a free version, that use less resources and consumes less time in updating. This is my personal opinion and also with free versions of Antivirus, firewall is not included.

stick with windows defender is my recommendation, if you're unlucky enough to get malware using that then in my opinion you'd have gotten the malware anyway using any of the other free anti virus software.

here's another link tho. that completely disagrees with my opinion and says avira is the best :- http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-5.html

:b33r:

Layered protection is your best option to help protect your computers.

The following programmes come highly recommended in the security community.

• xKsUqI5A.png.pagespeed.ic.vn1Hlvqi8h.jpgAdBlock is a browser add-on that blocks annoying banners, pop-ups and video ads.
  • E8I37RF.pngCryptoPrevent places policy restrictions on loading points for ransomware (eg.CryptoPrevent), preventing your files from being encrypted.
  • EG85Vjt.pngMalwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is designed to prevent zero-day malware from exploiting vulnerable software.
  • x6YRrgUC.png.pagespeed.ic.HjgFxjvw2Z.jpgMalwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (MBAM) works in real-time along side your Anti-Virus to prevent malware execution.
  • xjv4nhMJ.png.pagespeed.ic.A5YbWn1eDO.pngNoScript is a Firefox add-on that blocks the actions of malicious scripts by using whitelisting and other technology.
  • 3O8r9Uq.png Sandboxie isolates programmes of your choice, preventing files from being written to your HDD unless approved by you.
  • DgW1XL2.png.pagespeed.ce.v1OlJl_ZAS.pngSecuina PSI will scan your computer for vulnerable software that is outdated, and automatically find the latest update for you.
  • xj1OLIec.png.pagespeed.ic.k6hhwopU0q.jpgSpywareBlaster is a form of passive protection, designed to block the actions of malicious websites and tracking cookies.
  • xJEP5iWI.png.pagespeed.ic.4tmM1lM7DQ.pngWeb of Trust (WOT) is a browser add-on designed to alert you before interacting with a potentially malicious website.
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Please read PC Magazine's lead analyst's article "Think Windows's Built-In Antivirus Will Keep You Safe? You're Wrong".

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2480487,00.asp

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/security-software/326487-microsoft-goes-from-cellar-to-stellar-in-new-antivirus-test

top 6. ;)

http://www.av-comparatives.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/avc_prevalence_201403_en.pdf

bolded by me.

This report is supplementary to AV-Comparatives’ main report1, already published, of the March 2014

File-Detection Test. No additional testing has been performed; rather, the existing test results have

been re-analysed from a different perspective, to consider what impact the missed samples are likely to have on customers.

It is conceivable that a product with a lower score in the test may actually protect the average user better than one with a higher score, under specific circumstances.

Let us imagine that Product A detects 99% of malware samples in the test, but that the 1% of samples not detected are very widespread, and that the average user is quite likely to encounter them.

Product B, on the other hand, only detects 98% of samples, but the samples missed are either not as prevalent, or only run on a specific operating system.

In this case, users would probably be more at risk using Product A, as it misses more of the malware that is likely to present a threat to them.

like i said in my opinion if you get malware using defender then you'd get it using anything.

like juliet says layered protection is what windows users need and not to rely on any anti virus software, also use chrome or firefox as your browser and not ie.

Layered protection is your best option to help protect your computers.

The following programmes come highly recommended in the security community.

• xKsUqI5A.png.pagespeed.ic.vn1Hlvqi8h.jpgAdBlock is a browser add-on that blocks annoying banners, pop-ups and video ads.
  • E8I37RF.pngCryptoPrevent places policy restrictions on loading points for ransomware (eg.CryptoPrevent), preventing your files from being encrypted.
  • EG85Vjt.pngMalwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is designed to prevent zero-day malware from exploiting vulnerable software.
  • x6YRrgUC.png.pagespeed.ic.HjgFxjvw2Z.jpgMalwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (MBAM) works in real-time along side your Anti-Virus to prevent malware execution.
  • xjv4nhMJ.png.pagespeed.ic.A5YbWn1eDO.pngNoScript is a Firefox add-on that blocks the actions of malicious scripts by using whitelisting and other technology.
  • 3O8r9Uq.png Sandboxie isolates programmes of your choice, preventing files from being written to your HDD unless approved by you.
  • DgW1XL2.png.pagespeed.ce.v1OlJl_ZAS.pngSecuina PSI will scan your computer for vulnerable software that is outdated, and automatically find the latest update for you.
  • xj1OLIec.png.pagespeed.ic.k6hhwopU0q.jpgSpywareBlaster is a form of passive protection, designed to block the actions of malicious websites and tracking cookies.
  • xJEP5iWI.png.pagespeed.ic.4tmM1lM7DQ.pngWeb of Trust (WOT) is a browser add-on designed to alert you before interacting with a potentially malicious website.
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

I'm sorry, but are you serious? I mean seriously do you do all that crap and encourage others to do that?

Common sense is the absolute best protection anyone can use and it is absolutely free. ;)

I'm sorry, but are you serious? I mean seriously do you do all that crap and encourage others to do that?

Common sense is the absolute best protection anyone can use and it is absolutely free.

Common sense is a good quality to have, exploits come free too.

For people who don't know what to do, I try to help. I doubt seriously someone out there places every one of those applications on their machine but, knowledge knowing it's out there has to be thought of.

The items listed to help with layered security are posted for individuals to chose from.

trying to think of the program i always used to install on windows pc's that had a dog bark at you when anything was trying to change system files, but memory is failing me at the moment. :laughing:

winpatrol that was it, :- https://www.winpatrol.com/

was an excellent program to use alongside an av is that still recommended juliet?

Edited by terry1966

You're thinking of WinPatrol. It still a good program.

Not all of the programs in Juliet's list are security programs. For example, Secunia PSI just helps you keep track if you have installed programs that an update is available for. AdBlock get's rid of annoying pop up ads, but doesn't really protect you from anything. noscript is more of a nuisance blocker also, but it can be beneficial to block "drive by" attacks from nefarious scripts. Sandboxie is a great program to have... if you aren't going to practice safe computing techniques and download and install programs that you don't know what are, or use P2P sites. SpywareBlaster basically has a database of nefarious sites and keeps you from going there. WOT just might warn you about going to a site that you don't know anything about.

The only one of those programs I've never ran is sandboxie. I've never ran all of them at the same time. To me, AdBlock and noscript go hand in hand so I run them on my laptop at home. I also have SpywareBlaster on that one... though I can't say I can remember it ever giving me any kind of warning. I run MBAM and AVAST! on that machine. On my desktop at my office I run MSSE and MBAM. I installed AVAST and WinPatrol on my mothers computer (she has a total of 18 grandchildren and you never know who is going to play on it). My sister and her kids always seem to get infected, so I have AVAST!, MBAM, and SpywareBlaster on hers - and I still clean multiple infections off of it a couple times a year (no program will protect you if you bypass it to download P2P programs). There are currently 6 other computers in our office, and I have MSSE and MBAM on all of them.

I take security seriously... but I certainly don't stress over it - probably because I've never been infected. However, the people who come to the forums seeking help, obviously use their computers different than I do mine, and they have proven that whatever their doing isn't secure enough because theyre getting infected. Therefore, they need to add a few layers to their solution. I first came to a forum a few years ago when my mothers computer got an infections (pretty nasty one) at Christmastime after the multitude of grandchildren had played with it. I was helped over at WTT with what to do to clean it, and I stuck around and got training. While I was going through training... I decided to install an AV program (it was AVG at the time). Up until that point, I had never ran one. I never felt the need. During training I learned about all the scary things out there, and ran a variety of programs for awhile. Eventually, apparently, I got old and not as scared... so for several years I have continued to run what I consider a basic level of security, a free AV and MBAM. I like MSSE (now defender on 8/8.1) because it has the smallest footprint and is the least obtrusive. I also like it in my office because Microsoft allows it to be used on commercial systems.

Edit: If I'd finish reading your post before typing a response, I'd have seen that you already figured out it's name.

Edited by Tomk_

you commented that your old and not so scared, your not that old bud!

When I was in training, then helping, I was amazed at the infections out there and how many different ones.

Get rid of one and look, theres another., :)

I may not be old compared to roger, but I am compared to you.

In fact, I'm old enough to be your creepy uncle.

Well, my "common sense" tells me that a nicely layered set-up as suggested by Juliet is a very good thing to have (I have them all, boast, boast, except the CryptoPrevent) -- and, through a moment of carelessness, I STILL managed to pick up a PUP; my own fault, WOT had the site tagged. Stupid reflexes....

PUPs aren't really infections, though some are as nasty as a virus. I have had those. They come with "free" programs...including some anti virus programs. Most can be avoided by being diligent during the install...but some don't have an opt out. I have installed programs I knew were patched with PUPs, and then cleaned them off afterwards.

PUPs aren't really infections, though some are as nasty as a virus. I have had those. They come with "free" programs...including some anti virus programs. Most can be avoided by being diligent during the install...but some don't have an opt out. I have installed programs I knew were patched with PUPs, and then cleaned them off afterwards.

Me too!

Some even have an 'opt out' box to uncheck, but they still install. :hammer: "Ask-dot-com" is the most insidious crap with this one.

The EMSI Newsletter for march 11 reported the results of downloading popular programs from the ten most popular download portals, checking for PUPs, toolbars, and other assorted crapware. Disheartening. Only one, SourceForge, came up clean in all the test downloads. The worst offenders were tied between Download.com and Tucows. The portals either passed through the crap, or, in some cases, added their own. The recommendations were just what you would imagine: direct vendor downloads, and beware of the big, shiny red, candy-like buttons. They're often bad news.

Common sense is the absolute best protection anyone can use and it is absolutely free. ;)

Yes, Bruce, they do all that crap because they must. They run Windows. They have no common sense. :mrgreen:

Just kidding, most people run Windows because that's all they know about. For the OP: I'd say to use free AVG and not trust Windows Defender or whatever they call it.

Glad I run Linux.

What Nigel said. But I do use AdBlockPlus. It smokes ads.