Sign in to follow this  
freedom01

Windows Defender 8.1

Please disregard post below. Did some research and resolved problem.

I could use some help please. From what I am able to view it appears I haven't had an update on my computer since 2013. I was under the impression that Windows 8 came with Windows Defender, but when I click on WD to check for updates all I get is error code 0x80073b01. Also contact system Admin. I did go to my control panel and I did notice Windows Essentials 2012, but not quite sure if I am being protected with that either. When I try the search box for Windows Essentials I receive no record.

Would appreciate any help. Thank you!

Edited by freedom01

Hi Freedom: If you get chance could you post the solution....it might help others.

Cheers.

A Windows Defender Error Code 0x80073b01 is a critical Windows Error and is caused by corrupt registry ... I noticed that when I went to my Registry Recycler program to fix my problem I did not have any so i had to go to Google to download. Once installed in my computer it was a simple process of fixing the problem. I am posting a brief video that will assist in the short steps it will take to solve the issue.

in my opinion that video is bogus and you really didn't need that registry recycler program, and to be honest i wouldn't recommend anyone download and use it either, stay away from any registry fixing programs is my advice because they can cause a lot more problems than they are supposed to fix. windows doesn't need it's registry cleaning out because there are no performance gains to be made by doing so in the first place.

what i believe fixed your problem is running the sfc /scannow command shown at the end of the video which checks windows files and repairs them.

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

and that was really all you needed in the first place to fix your problem. ;)

personally i'd pop into the malware forum and get your pc checked over, from what i understand that error code used to usually mean you had been infected by malware so even tho things may seem to be working ok now it may not last.

:b33r:

Separate and apart from the problem itself, I cannot conceive of any reason to rely on the almost abysmally poor protection of Windows Defender. Almost every free solution is better, and a few nearly equal the best commercial offerings.

Well...I can. No other AV solution is less obtrusive or uses less resources. If someone practices safe computing...it should serve you fine, though I also run MBAM.

must admit i'm another who thinks you don't need any other real time av solution than microsofts built in one too.

a second on demand scanner like malwarebytes is also recommended also regardless of what real time av you use too.

:b33r: