Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

petronious

Super Shield Definitions

We have two computers, both with Optimise and Super Shield. Lately we have noticed that when powering up the computers , Super Shield immediately starts to update its definitions. The problem is that in doing so it virtually paralyses any other thing you want to do. Everything goes dead slow. Even the mouse arrow is reduced to jagging weakly. This goes on for about 30 minutes. Surely there must be a way to update definitions just adding new threats rather than reloading all that exist from day one. I've tried to find a way to get Supershield to do its update at 3 am but no luck. As a home user I can always go for a walk around the block while this is going on but if I was using my computer for commercial purposes I would be very unhappy to tell my clients to go and have lunch while while my computer loaded its definitions. Does anyone else have this problem?

I've seen a few other users with the same problem, but the vast majority, and we are talking 99% here, have no issues at all. If it is in fact loading the entire definitions something is not right as it should only be doing incremental updates.

Of my five computers there isn't one that takes more than 30 seconds to update.

Please open a ticket at our help desk using the link below so that we can get some more information:

http://www.pcpitstop...ore/service.asp

Well, it's now down to 5 minutes. Yesterday I used the computer three separate times and each time it updated the definitions. Today was a doozy. Windows and Supershield tried to update at the same time. I gave up and went shopping . I'll try opening a "ticket" whatever that is.

A ticket is a logged email exchange of troubleshooting and problem solving with one of our technicians.

After waiting for twenty minutes for definitions to complete and with the icon still red, I got impatient and restarted the computer and the icon was instantly green and I had back full power. Looks as if the update of definitions somehow hangs up when complete and just keeps going round and round. Does this make sense?

It is actually a two step process. First the definitions need to download, then once they are downloaded they need to be installed by overwriting the existing files. The hang could be during the installation and not the downloading. If the installation was hung up, rebooting could complete the process.

Thank you for the feedback. We are currently working on adding some end-user options for the definitions download.

A 45 minute "definitions" this time. Even stopped me accessing the Pitstop page to get to the forum! Not happy. When I tried a restart, it started definitions all over again.

Sorry but none of the request types on "tickets" are remotely relevant. I have reluctantly had to remove Super Shield as I cannot afford to have my computer tied up completely for 60 odd minutes at a time by " definitions". Excellent product but this is almost as bad as a virus. I'll reinstall when this fault is fixed. The ticket system is no use as its request types are too related to marketing and new orders rather than help.

Sorry but none of the request types on "tickets" are remotely relevant. ... . The ticket system is no use as its request types are too related to marketing and new orders rather than help.

I'm not sure where you were but from your description it does not sound like you were in the right place.

Clicking the link http://www.pcpitstop...ore/service.asp opens this page where you select Technical Support:

cs1.JPG

Next, you select your product:

cs2.JPG

Then you check the box that your issue is not in the list:

cs3.JPG

And that will open a page where you can describe the problem to the technical staff:

cs4.JPG