Sign in to follow this  
chengrob

How bad is your internet

5422120858.png

Here's what I see on speedtest.net from at my parents house, I just downloaded opensuse leap 42.1 iso yesterday and network manager showed it downloading at a rate of 8.25 MiB. Think my mom says they get 80 meg service for about $100/month. They are not convinced, but I'm pretty sure that either the modem or router needs replacing.

I'm curious what the test would have looked like when I was connected to the open wifi at NIU in DeKalb :huh2:

I'll prob end up with the same service when I move into my new apartment in the next few weeks, that will be in DeKalb.

Oh, not sure if I can run that Broadband Quality thing on Linux... nothing doing with my phone since it keeps showing less and less storage available even though I don't have any apps installed. Might be time for a new phone already... this one is not even 1 whole year old yet :angry:

i ran the Broadband test and it took a minute or so for results to show in the side pane,also submitted my report..if the test is accurate im getting way less than i pay for from my ISP.

I spoke with the developer about some of these issues yesterday and he has pushed out a new version of the utility.

So please grab the latest version if you are still having any issues with the logs and such.

Let us know if any of these or new issues arise.

Thanks

:) Y

I'm probably running it wrong. It want's to run for a week. I don't care to have it run that long. The shortest settings I can find is for a day. I've ran this on three different computers. I don't leave my laptop on for 24 hours, so I assume that is why I never get a log. On one desktop, I've only let it run for a few hours... no log. On the other desktop, I let the "old" version run for a day. No logs. Haven't run for a day yet... but no logs after an hour.

I guess I probably don't care anymore. I'm not interested in having some program run continuously on my system. I do my best to keep those sort of things off my system. I call them resource stealers. If I want to know what speeds I'm getting... I'll just stick with speedtest.

While Guns has vurrah nice dl speeds, I rather appreciate my symmetrical FiOS. It's very crucial to my being a Plex user/host. I average 1tb per month on the upload side for it. The other part of this is, it's hell on my hdd's,they're getting rather noisy and about due to be replaced. Screenshot_2016_12_23_23_01_36.png

Edited by Tx Redneck

This is with two streams running on Plex atm, tested from the host pc on cat6, through a gigabit switch connected via cat6(40' run of cable) to the gig port on the router, my son playing Roblox on the Xbone and Mom doin her FB games on her PC.

post-61856-0-43944100-1482685829_thumb.png

post-61856-0-47700200-1482685900_thumb.png

9 States & with measly 5 million customers, how can we the other 320 million in 40+ states to agree with you :lol:

You and the other 320 million are free to move where better service is available. ;)

Just get crappy Verizon to expand like they should have done decades ago, Their garbage here.

It's a free market, *they're* free to expand where they deem it most prudent to *their* business.

Crappy Verizon was built from subsidies, The crappy company made serious promises and went back on their word and still kept hold of billions in subsidies, their liars and thieves, As far to what it concerns, they are done, they will not expand wired or optic services.

personally, I miss the nostalgic days of dial up. You could read books (or even write books), talk to your family, make friends, etc. while waiting for a connection. Simpler times - the good old days. :)