Sign in to follow this  
chengrob

How bad is your internet

I have hit a new low. The speed test could not complete because it was too slow. I also could not run the test at PC Pitstop because the internet was so slow that the Pitstop page would not run. Be clear when this happens, everything stops. VOIP is off course useless, and watching a video shouldn't even be considered. I am on the hold with Time Warner but I have zero confidence that they will fix it.

attachicon.gifnew low.png

I think it is your computer, not the actual connection.

just had a similar problem for some unknown reason so changed my dns server in the router and that seems to have speeded things back up for me.

now using opendns instead of the isp's dns server.

here's a list of dns servers you can try :- http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

:b33r:

I'm with Cox in middle Georgia and, until 3 weeks ago, had their ultimate package. They promise 150/50 but ALWAYS over delivered. It wasn't unusual to hit 200/80 most nights after 11pm. Thing is, they advertise it as "unlimited" bw, there's a 450GB cap which, surprisingly, is pretty easy to hit with that kind of speed. The only way I could get true unlimited bw was to get a "business" account and decrease my speed to 50/10 which feels painfully slow. I will have to say, though, they are pretty good with the consistency. I heard Google is coming to 18 cities here, in the dirty south....hope my little hamlet is one of them!

I think it is your computer, not the actual connection.

Yes, Have you ran any of those optimizing programs? It could change some settings for the worse.

when it's slow like that, try turning off the wifi of your router and see if things improve, of course you need to be connected by wire to the router on the pc your testing, if things are back to normal then this would suggest you have some wireless device that is causing your slowdown problems.

i'm surprised you haven't been able to find and fix the problem by now though.

As evidenced by this thread, this has been going on for a long time. I have called them and they have visited probably more than 5 times. Normally if I reset the router the modem it will go back to an acceptable speed, but I find that tedious because the modem and router are on the third floor. In this case, after resetting, the speeds remained slow. They are back to normal now.

curious but how can you fix it if you don't know what's causing the problem in the first place?

not more snake oil i hope. :P

PCMajic cures all problems associated with internet connections. Only $29.99 a year!

Edited by indy

PCMajic cures all problems associated with internet connections. Only $29.99 a year!

:rofl3:

if you believe that, i sure hope your job's not pc repairs. :P

pcmatic cures nothing.

it's just a one stop piece of software that does a simple bit of regular pc maintenance on a schedule, personally i wouldn't even say it does a particular good job at doing even that but lots of others disagree with my opinion and swear by it.

i've nothing against people buying and using pcmatic if they don't want to spend the time learning a little about their pc's and then using free software or built in os software to do exactly what pcmatic does to keep things running smoothly but please don't kid yourself that pcmatic is a one stop cure for any problems your pc may be experiencing because it's most definitely not.

:rofl3:

if you believe that, i sure hope your job's not pc repairs. :P

pcmatic cures nothing.

it's just a one stop piece of software that does a simple bit of regular pc maintenance on a schedule, personally i wouldn't even say it does a particular good job at doing even that but lots of others disagree with my opinion and swear by it.

i've nothing against people buying and using pcmatic if they don't want to spend the time learning a little about their pc's and then using free software or built in os software to do exactly what pcmatic does to keep things running smoothly but please don't kid yourself that pcmatic is a one stop cure for any problems your pc may be experiencing because it's most definitely not.

By the same logic we should be able to dispose of our computers completely and still complete the tasks required without them. I like the product.

Edited by Humbluemoon

You're each correct. PCMatic takes care of things you could take care of yourself... but we all know that most people should not be allowed to have a computer as they make the world less safe for everyone else. People will continue to open, click on, and install things they had not should do.

I know enough about computers to be slightly dangerous... and I know more about the dangers than the average bear. Still....

I rarely make backups (years between), I run windows without an AV often (I'm getting better about that), I reuse passwords, I use passwords that would probably not be considered safe, I sometimes can't stop myself from going places or opening things that others believe are the cause of their infection... just to see what is there. I know better than to do these things - many don't know any better - yet I still do them. PCMAtic appears to be good at attempting to protect computers from their users. There is definitely a market for that.

By the same logic we should be able to dispose of our computers completely and still complete the tasks required without them. I like the product.

really don't see how that follows the same logic, or any logic really. :rofl3:

I like the product.

lots do then again lots don't, but i'd offer the same advice to you as indy, use and enjoy it by all means just don't think it's a cure everything program for any/all a pc's problems because it most definitely is not.

personally i'm a lot more interested in what the problem was with rob's slow, fast, slow connection problem in the first place, he must have finally figured it out otherwise he wouldn't be able to get someone to write a piece of software to stop it happening in future.

my best guess is some software/wifi device hogging all his upload bandwidth at certain times.

ooops missed tomks post in between, so added quote at beginning for clarity/continuity.

Edited by terry1966

come on rob tell us where your problem was? bad dns server, local network eating up bandwidth etc. etc.

it took you long enough to find even with the experts you have access/can call on to help diagnose things for you.

so i am dying to know what the cause was in the end. :mrgreen:

You should run PC Matic on that rig and tweek the settings. :yup: I highly recommend it. :yup: Wish my darn subscription wasn't running out soon. :yup::mrgreen:

:filtered:, the art of sarcasm is not yet completely lost. I hail you, sir.

OK, maybe this could be a reason for Juliet's "tumbleweeds" complaint. :filtered: All I posted was the name of the most commonly worshiped deity round these parts and added an n to what you stop a river to make a lake with, and that gets filtered. Political correctness has gone way too far. It's crap. Or should I say poopy doo doo. Maybe that ain't filtered yet. Hershey Squirts. The back door trots. The (ok, I know that's filtered). I spew a healthy brown stream of stinking rectal effluvia laden moistness in the face of PC. I fart in your general direction.