Sign in to follow this  
chengrob

How bad is your internet

PCMajic cures all problems associated with internet connections. Only $29.99 a year!

Hey, it's really not a bad deal. Morons need help, and if help comes with a price, at least it's help. And 29.99 a year is less than a penny a day. Can't expect Katycats and Beliebers 2 know about Linux. Tux is the MAN. Or is it a girl? Tux is sort of androgynous.

Rob, I appreciate you and I will always be indebted to the Pitsters for their help, but if tons of threads are about PCMatic not working, tweak it up so it works.

The reason my internet is so bad is because Time Warner has a monopoly in my area. The basic level is 10 mbps and I am paying for 20 mbps. The problem is not the maximum bandwidth that you are paying, it is the minimum. So as I have documented here, frequently I get about 5% of the maximum. When this happens, I can no longer stream video which impacts my work. At 1mbps, you can still do email, and voice over IP, but that is about it.

I have talked to Time Warner multiple times on the phone, and they have also come to to my house. About 1/2 of them admit that I have a problem but of course they have no need to fix it. My only option is to move.

I was talking to another work at home person in my neighborhood and he has the exact same problem. I also have other employees in other neighborhoods in my area and none of them have this problem.

newtwtest.png

i'm confused now.

Based on my frustrations, we will be coming out with a product that hopefully will fix this.

so if the problem is with time warner not having the bandwidth capabilities they need for your area and throttle your speed then as far as i can see the only way to get around that is to setup your own isp service and lay the extra cables/fibre needed for the extra bandwidth so is that the "product" your coming out with, your own isp service? certainly no home pc software is going to be able to fix a physical limitation from the isp side of things.

:b33r:

You are right. The product will be free, and you input your rated speed, and then it will measure every hour your internet speed for a week, and then you will have a full report of how your ISP did. We will collect all of the data so we can see which ISPs are living up to their commitments to their customers and which ones simply do not care. I think this will be important information for example for people when buying a house.

I view it as a fix because users can now join together with real reports in hand and show the ISP that they are not living up to their contractual obligations. As I have documented on this thread.

you may view it as a fix but don't think anyone else will, nice info to have maybe but certainly not a fix.

also i think you'll find in a court of law they are living up to their "contractual obligations", after all, as you've found out they sell the product with no minimum speed guarantee and just a max "upto" speed with conditions, such as distance from exchange and congestion.

so as you do get the full speed except for certain times then i don't think you or anyone else has a leg to stand on unless the laws are changed so they have to sell the product with a guaranteed "minimum" speed at all times.

what makes things a right pain for you though is you have no other option because they are the only isp provider in your area.

might be worth seeing what 3/4/5g options are available to you so you can tell time to get stuffed and switch to using the mobile networks, cost might be a big factor there though.

another option i guess would be satellite (about the same cost as your isp i believe, maybe cheaper.) where you'd get the speeds you are getting now without the drop off but at a cost of latency/ping times but that shouldn't make much difference really if your not into playing online games.

:b33r:

just had a thought weather may play a big part in satellite reliability.

Edited by terry1966

In my part of the world...

• Cable isn't available to large areas.
  • There isn't enough copper in the ground for a good access through the phone company either cheaply with DSL or expensively with a T-1.
  • Satellite is an option, but people I know who have it are not encouraging as to reliability or speed (price is fairly steep also).
  • Cellular coverage (3/4g). Unreliable in the outlying areas. Faster than DSL, comparable to cable. Can be quite expensive due to changes in data plans.
  • Wide area radio network. Faster than any of the above. More reliable than Satellite or Cellular. Costs comparable but slightly higher than cable.

We have a few different companies that offer radio access here. Don't know if it's available in your part of the world. Many businesses in town where cable is available still have opted for radio because of speed and reliability.

All that being said... even in town with all options available, no body gets the speeds that some of the members here post about. 10 down, 4 up with 200GB bandwidth plan is the best than can be achieved and everybody doesn't achieve that. 6 to 7 down with 1.5 to 2 up is more realistic, but still about twice what people on cable get.

I am sad today. I called Time Warner and talked to them for a long time. I even showed them this thread. They sent a guy over and I thought he fixed it. I was getting about 20 mbps, but it has gone backwards now. There is no one here but me. timebad.png

Rob, that just makes me believe that they're throttling you at the office or local hub. I'd raise "billy hell" till they got it right or I'd switch to something different. Shoot 4G is better than that...

:geezer:

Here's the Broadband Quality Tool that Rob has been talking about:

https://www.broadbandquality.net

Give it a try! :tup:

:) Y

Y, does it store old reports somewhere? I've ran it once and got a report on a WIFI rig but I cannot get a report on a rig that I have hardwired. The test completes and everything disappears...

BTW, I was quite disappointed to see that I'm paying for 10 Mbps down and was only averaging 4.9 Mbps down...

Speedtest.net gives this > http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5413527624

Enable hidden folders and files and you will find the reports in:

C:\Program Data\PCPitstop\BroadbandQuality

Wait.

Why can't you just click on the status or reports tab to find logs?

Yes, that's the other way.

Click on Status and it'll show the logs

Click on reports and it will give you graphical representation.

Did you run the program?

Run it for a few minutes, the stop it and see if you get some results to show.

BQ4.PNG

If I click on Status, it does show this:

6/7/2016, 9:31:20 AM
Download Speed: 4.94 Mbps
Upload Speed: 0.91 Mbps
Client: 207.254.163.154 - Craw-Kan Telephone Coop.

and if I click Reports it shows the graphic, BUT, I've ran it again since 6/7 and it shows no other Report and no other Status.

I guess I have a similar problem. I've ran it for awhile. Stopped it. No report. Ran for about an hour. Stopped it. No report. I've just let it run for 16 hours. Stopped it. No report.

Do you have to run it for a week before getting anything?