Sign in to follow this  
nigsy

Think my openSUSE install has died!

Having major issues with my 64bit 13-2 installation.

It's been running fine; but this morning whilst browsing this site a bug report came up telling me that my desktop had crashed.

Sure enough desktop totally black - no icons - so I rebooted the PC and that's when the fun started!!

Booted through POST; Grub and the loading screens; then came up with a black login screen saying something like:

Welcome to openSUSE 13-2 "Harlequin" - Kernel 3.16.7-7-desktop (tty1).

Linux-3ofb Login:

So I tried to login as myself and got this message:

"You have new mail"

"Have a lot of fun"

Login:

So I tried again, and got....

"No Space Left on device"

"Have a lot of fun" (Nice to see my pc has a taste for sarcasm)

Login:

Failed to open a pack file Systemd - Read Ahead [488]

Login:

Logged in as root and ran restart command - have tried to restart in recovery mode but after about 5 mins of code whizzing up the screen it goes black.

Do I need to reinstall?

Have I got a Virus?

Not sure why there is no space left on device?

root is on a 120gb SSD with nothing else

/home is on a 1tb hardrive that only has about 450gb used?

Any ideas guys?

Trying to track the issue down...

Have run the following command as found on a Fedorra forum:

du -chsx /var/log/*

Was looking for large writes to the logs as this seems to be a potential cause; but the total reported for all is 174mb; so don't think this is where the issue lies.

df -h output:

File System Size Used Avail Use% Mounted On

/dev/sda1 20gb 13gb 7.6gb 63% /

/dev/sdc1 917gb 358gb 559gb 40% /usr/local

/dev/sdb2 930gb 221gb 709gb 24% /home

Cheers Bruce.

Didn't work though.

Init 3 command errors as not enough space.

Ran the rm -rf command and rebooted.....but I'm just back at a black screen with 'Linux-3ofb login:' and a sysmd - readahead error

Are you running nvidia drivers?

The latest kernel update may be causing an issue there.

I didn't have a problem, but it could very well be nvidia/kernel conflict

Are you running nvidia drivers?

The latest kernel update may be causing an issue there.

I didn't have a problem, but it could very well be nvidia/kernel conflict

I'm just using the installed drivers; so not sure if they are Nvida or not but the last update did have a kernel update.

I have tried to load with previous kernel but get the same error.

Running memtest at the moment to rule memory out.

Oh man and I was thinking of upgrading to 13.2 too...think I'll wait to see if anyone else has problems like this...

:geezer:

It's been running sweet as a Xmas chestnut.....just died on me this morning. Thankfully everything backed up to an external drive; so if I need to re-install it's just a pain timewise.

Thankfully everything backed up to an external drive;

And that is something I need to learn how to do in Linux...back up my stuff to an external or something...

Caintry, this forum is loaded with people having far worse problems with windows, you of course use windows, do you stop using it because "one" person posts a problem?

Yet if one, just one person posts a problem with linux, you hesitate to try it, why is that? I don't get it

Caintry, this forum is loaded with people having far worse problems with windows, you of course use windows, do you stop using it because "one" person posts a problem?

Yet if one, just one person posts a problem with linux, you hesitate to try it, why is that? I don't get it

Ah Mr. Bruce, I'm running 13.1 on two rigs right now and it's running well. I was just thinking of upgrading to 13.2 since you, Terry and Nigel have had such good luck, BUT, Nigel posting of his problem made me have a second thought is all. Before I switch to 13.2 though I'm going to search answers for the backup process. Found Deja Dup this a.m. but said it was for 13.2...I suppose it'll work just as well on 13.1 wouldn't it?

You are partly correct however, I AM running Windows 7 on a couple of rigs too. Years ago when I first came to these forums you helped me install SUSE 8.1 and we made some tarballs, Megaspaz got in on that too. I was disgruntled with Winders and pretty much still am although I find Win 7 not to bad, certainly better than '95, 98, 98SE, Millenium and XP, BUT not even close to my SUSE 13.1. ;)

LuckyBackup is a simple easy to use application for backups, and because it uses rsync, once the initial back up is done, it will then do incremental backups.

OK....lets pull this one back!!

Memtest passed no fails; think I'm going to reinstall and start from scratch unless anyone has any other ideas?

you using brtfs? maybe an issue with that and the new kernel update for some reason, maybe it's made a snapshot of the old system that's taken up all the space before installing the new kernel or something.

i notice you said root is installed on a 120GB ssd yet it's only 20GB in size so maybe a quick work around is to just resize the 20GB if you have the space on the ssd using a live cd, either that or like you said just do a quick install of suse again on root and remount the home partition without formatting that.

when you ran the rm -rf /tmp/* did you log in as root?

to get to init 3, (which i beilieve you must be in anyway to get the boot login command.)

at the main menu press "e" to edit the suse boot option.

use the arrow keys to navigate to the "linux" line

and add a "3" after the "resume" command and before the "splash" command, make sure there is a space before and after it so it doesn't become part of any other command.

then either Ctrl+X or the F10 key will start the boot process and take you to the command line login.

(these changes are not perminent and are only used for that single boot.)

to login as root, just type "root" (without quotes.) at the login prompt and hit enter/return key then enter roots password when prompted.

when logged in as root it may be worth trying zypper dup to see if it installs anything that may fix your boot no space/problem.

or start yast (type "yast" , without quotes and hit enter.) and see if you can find any more info with that, of course it will be slightly different to navigate around, using the tab and arrow keys i believe but it is still more or less the same to use when loged in usually and using a gui.

no idea where btrfs may store any snapshots if not in the tmp location so can't suggest anything better than bruces remove command and seeing how you haven't installed any video drivers, can't remove those that may also have fixed things with removal.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Cheers Terry.

Was running as Root; so all the commands were running as this and not as a user.

Can't run from the live CD it just runs into the same "No Space left on device issue"

I did a complete reformat of both the SSD to take it to BRTFs for / and the new ext format for /home so there shouldn't be any snapshots left over from previous - I don't do OS updates using Zypper to avoid things not being cleaned up!!

Oh well - I'll just reinstall and see how it goes.

Cheers for the help...

You have a partition that is full somewhere.

My guess would be a "snapshot" or something else has eaten all the drive space, or perhaps a corrupt partition or drive.

If you are going to do a clean install I would recommend ext4 for both root and home.

The command df would have shown what was going on.

Edited by Bruce

Caught me before I carried on.....

DF doesn't show any issues (That i can see) /dev/sda1 is at 63% - tmpfs is at 1%; I'll read the article....

Thanks.

Ok...I've run snapper -c rootlist....and it gives me 15 snapshots..so I'm going to delete out some of the older ones and see if this helps.....

All good learning experiences!!

This article may well confirm my suspicion that BTRFS and snapper may be the culprit

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/stor_admin/data/trbl_btrfs_volfull.html

That seems to have fixed it.

Deleted out 1/2 the snapshots and we are back up and running again.

Now to look into giving more space over to these or restricting them to 5 max.....

Thanks for your help :b33r:

Glad I could help. Have a Happy New Year!

It's appreciated.

I'd rather learn how to use commands and learn more about the workings of the OS than just resort to the easy fix of a re-install.

I've now edited the snapper config file to only keep a maximum of 5 snapshots and changed a couple of other settings for the monthly, and yearly timeline settings.

Have a great New Year!!

glad you got it sorted.

thing that really puzzles me now tho is why the root drive/partition was showing as only 63% full when in fact it must have been 100% full with the snapshots taking up all the extra space.

why didn't the snapshots show up as using drive space? guessing it must be because the brtfs being the lower level file system manager doesn't tell the higher level os what space it's using to keep it's snapshots. :shrug:

well as usual the fix seemed pretty easy,

it's always finding the cause that is the hard part. :laughing:

good job we have bruce. :mrgreen:

see caintry no reasons not to upgrade your systems, :nana:

even tho i'd stick to the ext4 file systems.

i'll even get around to updating my main pc one day. :rofl3:

Edited by terry1966