Sign in to follow this  
Psychotron

Would upgrading from 8 to 12MB of RAM make a difference

Hello. I'm thinking of buying a computer and there is an option to upgrade from 8MB to 12MB of RAM. Would I notice any type of difference by upgrading? These new computers all seem to start at 8MB. I consider myself a user that has a lot of things open at once (web pages programs, etc) that tends to slow down my current PC (shown in my signature).

it's GB not MB and no not really in my opinion for most people, but then again you may not be most people and be working with very large files (GB's) while also having lots of things open.

personally my machine has 6GB of memory and even tho i consider myself to be a heavy user that does more on their pc than most people i've never run into a problem where lack of memory has caused me any real slowdowns.

for example my pc has been used to record tv programs, while also playing video content, while also encoding video files, while surfing or playing games on the internet and running a server without any trouble at all, those things to do with video use up quite a lot of memory too.

you sure it's lack of memory causing your slowdowns? your current pc does seem to be quite a good one with 6GB of memory anyway, so if your sure it is definitely lack of memory and not full hard drive or the need for a faster processor with more threads or a dedicated graphics card causing your slowdowns, then i'd say yes you would be better off with more ram but personally i wouldn't go with a system fitted with 12GB of ram (3 sticks of 4GB) because that would mean the ram was running in single channel mode instead of dual channel (usual) or quad channel (some newer motherboards) if you had 8GB (2x4GB) or 16GB (4x4GB) installed. don't think there are any new pc's now that would run 12GB (3x4GB) in triple channel mode like my own socket 1366 i7 would, so it's always better to install ram in pairs for most motherboards currently and why i'd go with either 8GB or 16GB of memory and never 12GB.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-Dual-Triple-and-Quad-Channel-Memory-Architectures/133

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

So, it could be a lack of hard drive space that's doing this? I bought it with 1TB, but often reach the limit to where I have to delete things. I really don't have any spare HD space. But I thought HD space was just for indicating how much space you have to save files, etc., not about affecting the actual performance of my PC.

Windows machines run into many problems as soon as their hard drive real estate drops below 40% free.

Files fragment faster, swap files can become corrupted and overall performance becomes sluggish.

Managing partitions properly, not only helps to safe-guard one's files, but helps to keep the operating system running better and mechanical hard drives do not have to work as hard to retrieve data and therefore extend their lives.

http://www.ykawika.com/partitions.html

As for going from 8 Gbs to 12 Gbs, I agree with Terry, not much gain to be found there as far as performance based on Ram.

:) Y

So, it could be a lack of hard drive space that's doing this?

most definitely.

in my opinion that's actually the biggest cause of major pc slowness, an os hard drive full to capacity.

personally i like to have separate hard drives for the os and data to maximise pc efficiency, and it shouldn't be to hard for you to fit a 2nd hard drive yourself (even a 3rd or more, i have 6 hard drives in my system, there are lots of videos on youtube showing how) and they are quite cheap now. here's 1TB drive on newegg for about $55 :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

just install and move all your data to it and you should see your pc speed up dramatically now the os hard drive is nearly empty again.

:b33r:

there is no harm with filling a hard drive to capacity and maximising your storage capability, just as long as the drive is only used for read access after the data is stored on there. this is never the case with a drive where the operating system is also installed on it.

some of my hard drives are maxed out to their limit (less than 1% of free space.) with data that i can use at any time like videos, without any loss in performance because nothing else ever gets written or deleted from those drives.

it's the read/writes to a full drive that really slow a pc down.

Edited by terry1966