Sign in to follow this  
IntelGuy

New Haswell build

5930k @ 4.5 GHz. Not bad for a four-year-old graphics card, but I do need to see about improving the drive score. I think there are some points to be had there:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=25694682

Air cooling with the Noctua NH-D15 and one 140mm fan. The second one would not fit and be able to put the side back on the case. I can probably fit a 120 in the space available, but the idle temps are around 29C and under load it rarely goes over 65C, so the one fan appears to be enough for now.

idle.jpg

load.jpg

How is your video score over 1000 and running a 580 but I can't hit 700 and I got a 970

IntelGuy is running a 980 (upgrade from a 580 I believe)...

Test at max resolution and 16 bit color for best video score.

:geezer:

you running raid for that disk score intel and how many drives?

have you thought about getting an m2 nvme drive, i put a samsung sm951 (i think) in my daughters pc and the speed of that was phenomenal but of course you do pay for that speed though because they definitely aren't cheap per GB.

i'm definitely going to have one for my os drive whenever i build my next pc though.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

terry1966, on 28 Oct 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:terry1966, on 28 Oct 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

you running raid for that disk score intel and how many drives?

have you thought about getting an m2 nvme drive, i put a samsung sm951 (i think) in my daughters pc and the speed of that was phenomenal but of course you do pay for that speed though because they definitely aren't cheap per GB.

i'm definitely going to have one for my os drive whenever i build my next pc though.

Yep, RAID 0 on six Samsung 850 Pro 128GB SSD's. I have a 950 Pro M2 that I tried and it was marginally faster, but every time I changed the overclock settings it would not boot up - couldn't find the OS. As this is my benching rig that wasn't going to work, so I took it back out and put the 850's back in. The 950 Pro is sitting here on the desk... I'll probably build a box at some point that won't be overclocked to different speeds for different uses and use it in there.

JaxMacFL, on 28 Oct 2016 - 2:16 PM, said:

How you liking that titan xp, aren't they great? I love mine, :>).

:yup:

but every time I changed the overclock settings it would not boot up - couldn't find the OS.

sounds weird, you have any ideas about why? is it a motherboard specific issue or is it because while ocing you're also ocing the pci-e lanes?

maybe a uefi update might solve the issue, must admit i can't see why you should have a problem if the oc was stable and can only think it must of been a timing issue with the controller on the nvme drive some how.

seems lots of people oc and use nvme drive with no problems judging by this topic. :- http://www.overclock.net/t/1603995/samsung-sm961-nvme-thread/30

you got to admit though 1 nvme drive being faster than 6 ssd's in raid 0 is mighty impressive and why i'm definitely going to have one myself in my next build, i was so impressed with my daughters build i really really didn't want to give it to her (course i did though.). :rofl3:

i ran across this while seeing if i could find out why you were experiencing problems when ocing.

The problem turned out to be something as simple as our overclock settings. We use Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 modules rated at 2,800MHz, and we were using their built in XMP profile for our system's overclock. However, this automatically sets the base clock to 125MHz, which is a requirement when using high frequency memory (i.e. above 2,666MHz) on X99. However, this also affects the speed of other parts of the CPU, not just the cores, and one of those parts is the onboard PCI-E Gen 3.0 controller. In turn, in order to maintain PCI-E stability at this clock, our motherboard was downgrading the PCI-E interfaces to Gen 2.0. You can force the graphics slots back to Gen 3.0, but there's no such option for the M.2 slot, which makes sense since storage devices require perfect stability. We have not been able to confirm exactly how other motherboard manufacturers handle the situation, but it's probably safest to stick to 2,666MHz DDR4 on X99 when using a PCI-E 3.0 storage device. It should also not be a problem on Z170, where the PCI-E controller's clock is separate to the CPU BCLK.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2015/11/11/samsung-ssd-950-pro-review/1

so your problems were more than likely due to the bclk over 100MHz on x99.

Edited by terry1966

I finally got around to checking this out. As long as I only overclock using the multi and leave the bclk at 100 everything is fine. Learn something new every day.

:tup:

the x99 replacement, whatever it is (can't remember) will probably be like the z170 and have the pci-e lanes controller separate from the bclk so you won't have that problem then.

what's the difference in your oc when the bclk is set at 100? and is the extra performance of the nvme drive worth the loss of those htz or is it something that's not really noticeable seeing how it's probably a speed machine anyway.

must admit i noticed the extra performance of the nvme drive on my daughters machine just because it and the whole pc was so much faster than my daily pc. things seemed to open nearly before i'd clicked on them it was that different and faster to the click pause then open of what i'm used to.

Edited by terry1966

My max OC when "racing" is 4861, so I lose 61 MHz and that can sometimes be the difference between first and second place. I could probably hit 4900 if I wanted to go with water cooling but after using sub-zero cooling for many years I'm really enjoying the simplicity of air cooling. :)

The loss of drive speed is not even noticeable as I was going from a six-SSD RAID 0 array to the nvme. I think I'll use the nvme on my daily driver and for now stay with the RAID 0 on the racer. If I remember (getting a little forgetful these days...) I'll try it again if and when I upgrade to a newer platform.

Thanks again for the input. :b33r: