Sign in to follow this  
Y kawika

Windows 8 & 8.1 Safe Mode

Seeing more and more folks having difficulty in Windows 8 & 8.1, it's frustrating that something as common and useful as Safe Mode has all but been removed from "keystroke access" at boot up.
Of course, since there are 2 different versions of Windows 8 (8 & 8.1), there are 2 different procedures to get it to work.

Now, what I'm going on about is how to set up your install of Windows 8 with the ability to use the "F8" key to access the Boot Menu in Windows 8. Where you can then choose Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc.......

This needs to be done when your computer is working properly. It is a safe guard to have in place for that special moment when your computer won't boot normally. Like a good Boy Scout, I prefer to be prepared.

In any event, here's how it's done:

Windows 8

• Use the keyboard shortcut Winkey+X to open the Quick Access menu
  • In the Quick Access menu, select “Command Prompt (Admin)”
  • Say “Yes” to the UAC challenge
  • A command window will open
  • Enter this command: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Note that there are curly brackets around the parameter “default”, not the usual parentheses.

A message will appear “The operation completed successfully”.
Now the method using the F8 key is supposed to work again.

To undo the change, enter the command: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/two-new-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8.htm

----------

Windows 8.1

• Enter this command: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

Note that there are curly brackets around the parameter “default”, not the usual parentheses.

A message will appear “The operation completed successfully”.
Now the method using the F8 key is supposed to work again.

To undo the change, enter the command: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-boot-into-windows-8-1-safe-mode/

---------------------

One of the side effects of this is that the "Timeout" loader is defaulted at 30 seconds, so if you do not press Enter when booting normally, then you've got to wait 30 seconds before Windows will continue.
I edited my timeout to 3 seconds. Windows 8 boots pretty quick anyway, so adding 3 seconds doesn't bother me.
Here's how:

Edit the Timeout Countdown (Both Windows 8 & 8.1)

• Enter this command: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} timeout 3

------------------

As a side note, I saw where HP had some ways into Safe Mode outlined for Windows 8 that used Tapping the ESC key and then hitting F11.
I tried it on my Windows 8.1 installation and it did not work, so it may be only available to Windows 8 only.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03439317&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Hope this helps. I feel better having it adjusted on my notebook.

:) Y