Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caintry_boy

What's Your Next Meal On The Grill?

Watch the salt intake!!! :facepalm:

Always! I don't like congestive heart failure.....trying desperately to stay away from that!! In fact I don't use salt at all, I use a salt substitute...and I'm even careful with that!

:geezer:

Rog, if the docs say no salt - no salt 4 you!.

But just a thought from me, I think it's all the salt substitutes and fake butter and sugar that bring all this cancer today. The old folks ate the natural foods and lived to be old. Red meat, potatoes, and real eggs, bacon and butter.

Rog, if the docs say no salt - no salt 4 you!.

But just a thought from me, I think it's all the salt substitutes and fake butter and sugar that bring all this cancer today. The old folks ate the natural foods and lived to be old. Red meat, potatoes, and real eggs, bacon and butter.

Which is exactly why I won't eat turkey bacon, it has more salt than a couple slices of real bacon; buy milk from a little dairy/creamery nearby, skim the cream and make my own butter with no salt added. No "preservatives" added to the milk, no salt added to the butter, and I'm buying eggs from a local gal here for $1/dozen, free range hens. ;)

The salt substitute that I'm using is made of potassium so I watch that closely when I check my blood every week (got to check it anyway for my INR/thickness).

Here's a nice spicy BBQ sauce:

Sweet Heat

½ cup diced onion

2 cloves minced garlic

6 seeded and diced jalapeno peppers

¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar

2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

1 cup Catsup

1 cup Strawberry Preserves or Jam

2 tsp Chili Powder

½ cup Beer

Cooking oil

Pot

Couple of questions my friend......

What is 'Sweet heat'? or is that the end flavour?

Is Catsup; the Malaysian catsup?

Want to try this.

Couple of questions my friend......

What is 'Sweet heat'? or is that the end flavour?

Is Catsup; the Malaysian catsup?

Want to try this.

1. Sweet Heat is the end flavor.

2. Catsup is catsup, don't know anything about maylasian catsup...like this Nigel > http://www.heinz.com/our-food/products/ketchup.aspx please note that caatsup and ketchup are one and the same here in the US.

Depending on how hot/spicy you like your food guage the jalapeno's accordingly... ;)

1. Sweet Heat is the end flavor.

2. Catsup is catsup, don't know anything about maylasian catsup...like this Nigel > http://www.heinz.com/our-food/products/ketchup.aspx please note that caatsup and ketchup are one and the same here in the US.

Depending on how hot/spicy you like your food guage the jalapeno's accordingly... ;)

Good old British 'Tommy Sauce'!!

The Malaysian one is a kind of tomato / soy / chilli sweet sauce used in Nasi Lemak.

I like the last ingredient. Pot. You make your own butter? That's true old school pioneer.

I don't get the catsup/ketchup thing, must be what state you live in. I'm Jersey, we call it ketchup, but I wouldn't put it on a sandwich if I had a tomato to slice.

Originally they were all called Catsup... from the british. The name appears in a poem from Jonathan Swift and is believed to be a modernization of the chinese word ketsiap. Heintz started selling Catsup in 1837 but changed it's name to Ketchup in 1876 to distinguish it from it's competitors. Hunts immediately changed their condiment to Ketchup, but Del Monte didn't make the change until 1988 when they conceded that most Americans preferred Ketchup to Catsup.