Sign in to follow this  
Psychotron

Would 2 wifi adapters/routers help in 2 story house with bad connects

Hello. The person that has been helping my parents with their computers' wifi connections is out of town for a month so I thought I would ask here. I also question whether he knows what he's talking about. He's been trying to help us with a weak connection for years.

Apparently our walls are too old. We can get a signal upstairs, but it is very weak downstairs and outside on the porch. We've tried several signal repeaters. He says our poor speeds downstairs must be because there are other wifi signals on our channel at the same time (I question that because they're in the burbs and there's hardly anyone compared to Chicago), so he switched us to channel 11, but we still have the same problem.

My question is, can't we just buy an external USB wifi adapter to connect to my mom's laptop on the first floor and just have one signal upstairs for the upstairs computers and use her adapter for a separate signal for the downstairs?

I have a cable modem.

Thank you,
Brad

You can... but it is a bit tricky to pull off. Easier would be just to add an access point downstairs. Best would be with a wired connection back to the router but you could use those adapters that utilize your existing electrical wiring.

OK. Why would it be tricky? I was thinking that I could just buy an external wifi card and another router and just hook it up downstairs. Then I could setup the 2nd floor to connect to one wifi signal and the 1st floor to connect with the other.

Thanks,

Brad

Ok. A second wireless router would serve as the access point. I thought you were wanting to use a WiFi adapter in your moms laptop as the access point. That can be done...but it is tricky and only works when the laptop is on.

I have looked over the Internet. Maybe I'm am not understanding how things work correctly, but when I search I'm not looking for how or where to set up a router. I assume I'll need another router, but I'm not really concerned about the router. I want to see if I can set up a completely separate wifi connection for the downstairs so that the computer down there could connect to that signal instead of the one upstairs, using an external wireless card. It's been pretty much determined that we can't "expand" the coverage due to the walls.

Edited by Psychotron

Yes you can.

A wireless router emits a radio signal that is the WiFi connection. Each radio signal emitting device - whether a wireless router or an independant access point, can be its own wireless network. The secondary device needs to be connected to your primary router in order to access the internet through your cable modem.

The link that often tired provided above, tells you how to set up a secondary radio signal, but remain on the same network - which sounds exactly like what you want to do.