Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maca Broadbent

my computer not picking up orignal internet connection

Hi i bought a Wifi range extender nearly 1 year ago now but recently i bought a new PC so i set everything up and when it asked me what internet connection do i want to connect to i said the wifi range extender. But recently this wifi range extender is not performing half as-well and im even struggling to watch a video on youtube it is that bad.

but my main concern is that my computer is not recognizing my original internet connection it is only picking up the wifi range extender. Im thinking is it becuase i did not use it when setting up so i am asking is there anyway i can connect to my original network connection

it wont let me connect to the other network even when i turn off the wifi range extender.

also the little internet connection bar at the bottom right when i press on it it does not show the orignal internet connect.

cheers :)

You don't say what Operating System you're using but, in Windows 7 go here > Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. What does it show for internet connections there?

Also can you open the cmd prompt and run 'ipconfig' (without quotes) post back the results.

:geezer:

on the local area connection its got a cross next to it

1st wireless connection network is saying its ok

and 2nd wireless connection network again has a cross next to it

and for cmd: it keeps saying media disconcerting

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Vista and Windows 7... right click the .bat file and choose to run as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Let us know if that helps...

O.K......in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Device Manager what does it show for Network Adapters? For instance, mine shows the Intel 82583V Gigabit connection, the Microsoft Virtual WIFI Miniport Adapter, and the Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Adapter (which is what I'm using at present)...

Go there and uninstall each one shown, then restart the PC. Any help?