Sign in to follow this  
SoulFly

Never had a smart phone before

So I know nothing about them. I started considering one just to get online at work when I have downtime or to use GPS to find job sites cause I work in construction. But I really have no clue how much data I would use, Like how much data is it just to watch a YT video?

So I wanted to know what anyone thinks of this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17071&type=page&st=pcmcat211300050006_categoryid%24pcmcat209400050001&sc=Global&nrp=15&sp=&qp=carrier_facet%3DCarrier~AT%26T%5Ecurrentpricemobile_facet%3DPrice~%241.00&usc=All+Categories&browsedCategory=pcmcat211300050006&seeAll=&gf=y&cp=1

And do I understand that site correctly, that the cost to get one of those phones for just $1 plus activation fee and then just $25 per month for 2 years if I get the 1 gb plan?

Or what about Ting.com? More specifically something like this: seems like you pay for what you use, but you pay full price for the phone? Would that be better for me?

How much WWW access is 1gb in a month when accessing websites? I really have no idea how much I would use it but I rarely have a desire to make phone calls and can't text on those small screens to save my life as I've tried before on other peoples phones. Is there a better plan for me out there?

I think I probably need the larger screen phones cause I don't think I would do too well on small screens but the 5" inch ones are very expensive.

If I would need 2gb's or more data, that starts at $40 which is as much as my 25mbps connection at home. Is it just me or does that not seem ridiculous? Maybe it's cause I'm not used to paying for stuff like that and I have no clue how much I would even end up using it.

Edited by SoulFly

yes the samsung galaxy s4 is a good phone.

well according to this calculator :- http://www.o2online.ie/o2/data-calculator/

if you do nothing else on your smart phone and just watched 30 minutes of youtube videos a day for the month you'd use 1.8GB of data.

photos and video use up a lot of data.

if you did nothing else except looked at 250 web pages a day for the month you'd use up 1.4GB of data.

using gps should't use any data just as long as you have already downloaded the maps on wifi first from my understanding.

personally on my smartphone i make sure data is turned off and only ever use wifi for everything i need like downloading apps, surfing the web, etc.

i don't use it much so for me i pay for what i use only and don't have a fixed monthly contract. my phone is a moto g and i've used less than $5 on it in about 5 months.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

So basically even 2.0 gb data plan isn't much use. There are times when I may have 2 or 3 hours of downtime. I'm sure there may be times where I would visit a lot of sites or watch more than 30 minutes of video. So how do people watch netflix and do so much online with their cell phones? Or do they just pay $100 + a month?

The last I want to do is worry all the time about my data consumption and I assume there never is any carry over so it's a use it or lose it kind of thing?

Oh and also what about Ting.com? Would it make more sense to buy a phone full price and use their service? apparently it's 1.5 cents per..something for data more than 2000 megs. Or is the ATT one I linked better suited?

Edited by SoulFly

Another question. I don't get the cons vs pros of contract plans vs no contract. Maybe if someone could break that down for me that would be great. Also, when they say unlimited data...is it really unlimited? How much is the regulatory fees? Anything else I should know in general cause I literally have no clue about this stuff. I just know that if I were to have one, I'd want the largest screen and ability to access internet without worrying about hidden costs or overage charges unless it wouldn't likely be too expensive.

I'm going blind (quite possible lol) unless your talking about the S4 Zoom, data is always guess work, for me I won't use anything less than an unlimited data plan, it completely removes the fear of going over, and facing dear charges, fortunately here it's not unaffordable anymore, or I would be facing charges every month, I have the normal Samsung S4 (not zoom), and you have to lock it down if you want to keep data usage low, the phone is so feature packed there are bits I still have yet to discover, and that's after a year using it, but weather, a large number of various App's, and maybe just some normal phone uses all connect and will cause data usage if your not careful.

There is a feature in my S4 (don't know about that one though) that measures your data usage, and will disable that connection when you hit a pre-set level that you set up, that will help you if data is a concern, something to see if the phone you choose has, as said above if you set to update via Wi-Fi only will help a lot, BUT, it all depends on what you need\use, Sat Nav can use a fair bit, downloading\updating the maps at home is a great help, but there is more to consider than that, real time traffic updates are a help to avoid traffic jams, I use Waze for my Sat Nav, brilliant tool, warns of radar traps (as do some other set up's), but real time updates are just that, every user can update any issues as they come across them, unlike alternate types that only get updated once it gets far enough into the system (ever experienced the radio reports of problems to find nothing there ?), Waze goes live as soon as a user reports it.

Just some things to consider when choosing, but the data limit control on the S4 sounds like it would give you the peace of mind over your usage, so look to a phone that can disable your data use once you put a limit that you set, it's probably the best thing you can do without unlimited data, hope this helps.

*edit

Just saw above, contract is simply a way to get a cheap phone, as your tied into a contract, they still make their money on your usage, but it makes expensive phones affordable, on top of that you have a set rate of what you pay, and how long\much you minutes\texts etc. you can use within that price, so you always know what your bill will be, PAYG you have to pay more for the phone, but you literally only pay for what you use, that's it in the most basic form I can describe as a guide.

And unlimited ALWAYS has small print, they usually call it a fair use policy, so although the data is unlimited, those that drain every ounce of it could hit a wall, probably aimed at people trying to replace their broadband by using the mobile as a modem to save money, so most will never hit that wall and would have unlimited use.

Edited by 8210GUY

How do I find out if any particular phone has that feature to disable once I hit my limit? Is there a specific name for it?

So far atm, I'm looking pretty heavily at Ting.com. I could buy one of their phones but their selection of phones seems pretty limited and from there I'm taking it that I will pay for what I use with no hidden stuff.

I also had a great idea, I could use this android app called HTTrack and download a few gigs of internet stuff from home on my wifi and use that to browse when needed instead of using as much data. It would help anyway so maybe I should try to find one with the largest memory size.

all android phones can set a limit on your data usage. :- http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/3443819/set-data-usage-limit-on-android/

personally my phone has 8GB of storage of which only about 6GB is able to be used by me, which i thought at the time would be plenty but that soon gets used up with a couple of racing apps that need a load of storage, and that's not including anything like music, pictures, videos you may want to put on it too.

so i'd recommend a phone with a minimum 16GB of internal storage or 8GB with an sd card slot so you can expand storage of course best is 16GB and sd slot.

i don't believe in/use cloud storage so to me that doesn't count for anything but it's also an option where you could store some files, think some are free or free for a year or two and others you pay for, but that's something you'd need to look into yourself when choosing a phone and carrier.

no idea about networks and stuff over there like ting.com but if you can afford it and think you'll be using a lot of data then i'd definitely go the contract route with an unlimited data plan, they usually have loads of free talk time minutes and text message limits included, so you shouldn't need to worry about going over them and incurring any extra costs for calls or messages, and of course unlimited data means exactly that so no worries about incurring any extra costs there.

i think over there your biggest concern should be if whatever network your going to go with as good mobile coverage in the areas your likely to be working in more than anything else. no good getting a great phone with a great monthly cost with unlimited data if your carrier doesn't cover the area you'll want to be using the phone in, no coverage then it's just a brick your carrying around with you until you get back to town or somewhere that is covered again.

I think I may go with the Nexus 5 (32gb) for $400 and use Ting. Wish it had a bigger screen, the Galaxy S4 is the only other decent option from what they have but it's not new and older version of Android. The Galaxy note 3 is $700 and I'm not even sure if it even has phone capability or if it's just a tablet. But If I use data saving techniques and HTTrack as much as possible, I don't think I'll use much data or I'll limit it to what I want to pay. I have kindle so I could always download some books on wifi and read them later as well instead of watching YT. So for this first year it might cost me over $700 which is cheaper some of the unlimited plans which with a free phone would still put me over $1000 a year.

Ting uses Sprint which seems to have somewhat decent coverage around my area in East central Indiana but those coverage maps don't tell me much, looks like a lot of hit and miss but so does ATT and Verizon.

So unless anyone has any other suggestions, thanks for the advice.

personally i think i'd just stick to sprint where you could get a bigger screen if that's your main concern like a samsung galaxy note 3 (i just picked a random zip code) :- http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc7770003prd&deviceSKUId=77700144&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&tabId=dt_phones&ptn=&defaultContractTerm=

or

a lg g3. :- http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc8220003prd&deviceSKUId=82200178&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&tabId=dt_phones&ptn=&defaultContractTerm=

i really don't think the savings on ting.com will be enough to actually compromise your choice of which phone you actually want, and seeing how ting is using sprint network anyway the coverage is going to be exactly the same.

saying that tho the nexus 5 is a very good phone anyway.

i recommend actually visiting a phone shop so you can see and compare the different phones in your hand before making any final buying decisions.

oops seems those links don't stay working, and just wants a zip code again but soon as you enter a zip code they do take you to the phone i was looking at. i used 64048 as zipcode.

Edited by terry1966

My S4 is the first android phone I have ever had, previous it was always a Nokia on the Symbian platform, so it's good to know they all have that feature, so Thanks for the info.

I agree a 16gig handset, with a card slot (usually MicroSD these days), and if you really want to cut down on data charges, check the phone can handle a large card, e.g. 32gig, or 64gig (which the S4 can take) if you think you will need it, but the point is you can preload loads of films etc. at home, then when your away you can play them back with no worry of charges, but you won't get the full memory advertised on the phone, e.g. my S4 says 16gig, but in real terms the OS and Apps take up a chunk of that memory, somewhere around 6gig, meaning the user gets about 9gig or so of that 16gig to use, so a card is a must IMO, and FYI the iPhones do not have a card slot incase you looked at them.

As said above check out the coverage, but pay attention to what is used in the areas you go to, because you have CDMA, TDMA, and now a strong growing GSM, although you are\were unable to use the European standard 1800Mhz band as that was already used by the military IIRC, and the 850MHz band and 2100MHz band, and probably more now, it's been many years since I was up on the US phones etc., but the bottom line is choosing a phone with the greatest amount of networks connection ability's will give you the greatest chance of not getting in no service areas, BUT, do check out about roaming charges, many years back I believe some networks wanted stupid money, at least that's what's in the back of my memory, so take care there until you know where you stand.

To give an idea the S4 can use the following connections:-

2G; EDGE / GPRS (850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz)

3G; HSPA+ (850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100MHz)
4G; LTE Cat 3 (800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600MHz) * Dependent on market

I dare say many phones can handle a vast range of connection type, but it is still a consideration that could make a difference to you, dependant on your coverage area you will be using, but as said above definitely go to a shop and have a play, I find the S4 quite comfortable for using the web etc., but if you will be doing it a lot then it would become a strain, and that's on a 5" screen, anyway hope this helps, and that you get the phone and deal you want.

Edited by 8210GUY

personally i think i'd just stick to sprint where you could get a bigger screen if that's your main concern like a samsung galaxy note 3 (i just picked a random zip code) :- http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc7770003prd&deviceSKUId=77700144&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&tabId=dt_phones&ptn=&defaultContractTerm=

or

a lg g3. :- http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc8220003prd&deviceSKUId=82200178&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&tabId=dt_phones&ptn=&defaultContractTerm=

i really don't think the savings on ting.com will be enough to actually compromise your choice of which phone you actually want, and seeing how ting is using sprint network anyway the coverage is going to be exactly the same.

saying that tho the nexus 5 is a very good phone anyway.

i recommend actually visiting a phone shop so you can see and compare the different phones in your hand before making any final buying decisions.

oops seems those links don't stay working, and just wants a zip code again but soon as you enter a zip code they do take you to the phone i was looking at. i used 64048 as zipcode.

Wow that G3 looks really impressive. Looks like it would work out to around $700 a year but the only service plan available is a family plan and appears to be 1 gb plan. I don't want to get it then realize later that 1gb isn't enough. At least it doesn't sound like much for a whole month.

yes i like the looks of the g3 phone too, and the thing with those plans if i'm not mistaken is if you find 1GB isn't enough then next month you can increase the plan to 2GB or whatever without needing to start a new contract you just pay the extra $ amount from then on for the higher data plan you want.

i see over there the unlimited only seems to apply to voice and text calls, over here it is the other way around the data is unlimited with a limit on voice and text, but that seems to be dying out now with less providers offering the unlimited data plans.

i also edited my earlier post about data usage because it read wrong, and the data usage quoted was on a per day per month basis and not a per month basis like it read.

If that's the one I've seen advertised then it looks really impressive, seriously worth a closer look and some hands on time to really see what it can do, if I wasn't half way through my contract I'd definitely consider getting it.

But if you think their contracts\deals there are not that great terry, you should of seen how long it took them to catch up with their phones, it probably compares to what we have got compared to what Japan has, and GSM usage was in it's infancy when I was helping with phones, they have come a really long way in recent years, mostly because of the GSM network increasing in range and coverage (phones with sim cards were scarce last I was helping), allowing these new phones to be available where they weren't in the past, I dare say the contracts will follow the same route, although I am seeing a lot more contracts offering unlimited everything here lately.

although I am seeing a lot more contracts offering unlimited everything here lately.

really?

from my understanding they are dying out, for instance you can no longer get unlimited data from o2, tesco, vodaphone, ee and it seems only 3 now offers unlimited data plans.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/4g-uk/16065/all-you-can-eat-data-which-uk-network-offers-most

Well it may be a case of my limited exposure these days to the different SP's and their deals, but I'm on 3, and noticed the G3 was coming with unlimited everything for only an extra £3 from the next choice down, a mate is on Virgin and recently got an S4 mini with unlimited everything for £27, prior to seeing those deals it was the first time I had noticed anyone doing unlimited calls, texts yes, but not calls, not since the days of one to one )I think it was) gave unlimited chat, and that people who still have that original deal cling onto it, and if they ever wanted to sell it then it would be a feeding frenzy from those who are after such a deal, so based on seeing 2 networks offering unlimited everything in a short space of time, I saw it as an increase, if there were already such deals I had not been aware of them.

Unlimited is still out there in the UK but I think operators are clamping down.

I've (this week) upgraded to the Sony Xperia Z2 with EE(Orange) and the best I could get with out going into the £40+ per month range was unlimited minutes / 1000 text messages and 4gb data all for £34.50.

I think they are worried about how much data the new 4g phones are capable of chewing through and what it could cost them especially when my 4g connection in Farringdon (London) is 4 times faster than the WiFi connection in the office.

I've (this week) upgraded to the Sony Xperia Z2

Hey nigsy! how are you liking that Z2?

i've had the Xperia ZL for about 9 months now and i love this phone! rooted/unlocked the bootloader on mine within days of owning it. been running the carbon rom on here mostly (great rom btw), but i do like the default Xperia look and find myself going back to it occasionally. i have one of those 128gb micro sd cards in it. plenty of room for my 80+gigs of music and a lot of rom backups!

bought mine unlocked from newegg for around $450 back in december, and use it on our family plan from at&t. it is an unlimited text/calls plan with 10gbs data shared between 5 of us. we have had no issues with going over the 10gbs as my wife and kids have been warned to do no streaming/downloading while on data. so far its worked out very well for us.

Edited by iamgeorgeareu

Loving the Z2; the camera is amazing. And it's so responsive.

Held out rooting it for nearly a whole day...but the temptation was to much!!

Taking a bit of time to get used to the size of it; but I've got no issues with it at all.

I don't have a smart phone. I never will have a smart phone. I have a PC. That's all I need. If I ever feel the need to Google something during my day, I can always do it when I get home. If I don't remember what I wanted to look up, was it really all that important?

web browsing isn't the only thing a smart phone can do.

personally i never use my smart phone for web browsing but do make use of other things you can do with one.

for example reading a book or playing a game to pass the time while waiting to pick up my daughters.

mostly tho it's just used like a normal phone to make/receive calls/texts when out and about.

Yes. Bloody spot on as always, mate. They may be great for playing games on. Books? No, sorry I'm an ancient fart - but if I couldn't get into Kindles or whatever they were called, I sure as Hades won't be trying to read books on a lil' phone.

I never knew you were a proud papa, Terence. I bet all that your daughters can't keep their hands off the damn phones. It is what it is these days, I just hope you've impressed upon them enough to keep the phones in the pockets and the eyes on the motorway while driving.

Hell, never mind me ramblings. Just trying to stay part of the Pit community a tad bit. I don't want to just show up in here only when I want to ask for help, but Linux forum is pretty much dead, and I have nothing to offer to Windows people unless they're still running 98SE. Political discussion? Bollocks that!

I never did get one, I probably would end up never using it after the novelty wore off so glad I didn't. I already own a few things that I regretted after the immediate fun wore off. Like my PS4 for starters, haven't turned it on since February.