Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psychotron

New, better external wireless card much slower than old internal card.

I bought an external wireless card that is described as better than my internal card in every way. My old card (an internal wireless card) was a D-Link DWA-566 Wireless N 300 Dual Band PCIe Desktop Adapter. I have Comcast cable modem. I was able to use my full potential of over 50 Mbps. Using this external card (which is a TRENDnet 450Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter). It is only giving me about 8Mbps. The external one is right on top of my PC so it is close.

Can anyone say what might be going wrong and how to fix it? I'm not familiar with wireless cards, but I believe the internal card is compliant with every "standard" (n/g/b/a). So is the external card. I think my internal card was running on "a", but when I look in the list of wireless cards "a" does not appear on my external cards console window. It does appear for some other people near me though.

I don't know how to change it to "a". I've read the documentation and it doesn't mention any of this.

Could this be a problem with my router?

My router is a Cisco Linksys E1200

My old Internal card: D-Link DWA-566 Wireless N 300 Dual Band PCIe Desktop Adapter
My new external card: TRENDnet 450Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter

Thank you,
Brad

Wireless connections can be sketchy and trouble usually caused by interference. Interference can be cause by microwaves, cordless phones and possibly cell phones. If you have both wireless adapters in use at the same time that could be the source of interference.

As far as the protocols (a, b, g, n), wireless "a" would be the slowest and shortest range possible. You would definitely want to run it in "n" for the longest range and highest speed.

See the chart here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Your old internal card may possibly be a bit faster (I'm not certain on the speed difference between PCIe and USB) because it's PCIe and the new external one may not be getting it's full capability depending on your router. That would be on account of the USB adapter is dual band, but will only operate as such if your router is also dual band. If I'm looking at the right one, your model is only single band 2.4GHz and has a max of 300Mbps.

Even then you shouldn't expect to get the whole 300Mbps. I'm using an Asus USB-N13 adapter. It will show as connected at 300Mbps only while it's establishing a connection. Once the connection is made I never see it any higher than 144.5Mbps. Then still I've even seen it drop as low as 6Mbps (I'm attributing to inference from laptops and cell phones in the house) but it still gets nice transfer. Speedtest.net shows me getting about 10-12Mbps throughput, we have Comcast cable here with I believe 30Mbps service.

Is it this router?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124478