Sign in to follow this  
badbinary

SM Bus Controller

I'm usually quite adept at fixing these kind of issues but this one escapes me.

Last week I upgraded my computer to an I5 4690K on a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 motherboard. I did a fresh install of Windows 8.1, installed the drivers, all is good. I then updated the BIOS to F5 (latest) from F3. Some time after that I noticed the device manager is showing i'm missing a driver for a SM Bus Controller. I've tried reinstalling the Intel chipset drivers multiple times but it does not fix the issue. I've installed every driver available from the disk and the Gigabyte website but the issue persists.

I contacted Gigabyte support but their only solution was to do what I've already done (and retried) and since that didn't resolve it, to reinstall Windows and start over. I would rather not reinstall since that will eat up a few hours of my time just for a driver issue. My google-fu doesn't really turn up anything except to install the Intel chipset drivers.

Does anyone have any different ideas?

As far as I can tell, an SM Bus INF file should be included in the Intel Management Engine Interface installation. But, the ReadMe for latest chipset INF installer specifically mentions "PCI System Management Bus" in the manual installation description.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=20775&&lang=eng

ReadMe

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20775/eng/readme.txt

Edited by TomGL2

@brownhornet: yes, i tried that, it takes you to the chipset drivers. the bios update definitely took okay.

@tomgl2: i've tried reinstalling the intel drivers multiple times, no dice

Extract the chipset drivers, then browse for the SMBus INF and CAT files. If they are present, perform a manual driver update, pointing the wizard to the appropriate folder.

SetupChipset.exe -extract C:\Chipset

that did it! thanks tom.

this wasn't a big deal by any means but sure bugged the heck out of me, i appreciate the help.