I recently purchased a refurbished HP Windows 7 desktop. I also have a Mac laptop that is fairly new. I'm using a wireless modem with earthlink.net.

My speed when browsing using my Mac is just fine. It's fast and what you'd expect it to be.

But it takes this Win7 about 30-60 seconds or more to open a website. It even took forever today just to get the PCMatic control board to open.

And I've also noticed a much slower process in getting pages to print.

Before I try to get a refund on this refurbished computer, I thought I'd try to see if it can be fixed somehow.

Testing the bandwidth I got 13.98 for download speed and 1.07 for upload speed. Latency is 46 ms.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate.

I ran a PCM scan 2 days ago and it found a few things to fix which went well. But the browsing speed hasn't improved one iota and may even be worse.

personally i don't think it's a problem with your internet so there is nothing to "fix" really.

in my opinion the problem is more likely that it's just a slow pc because of the hardware inside it, things like cpu, memory and hard drive, especially if it's always been that slow since you purchased it.

what sort of things did the pcm test say to fix? and can you run an overdrive test and post the link to the results so we can see exactly what hardware is in the pc and what software it's running, maybe there's something running that could be stopped to speed things up a little, but if it's hardware related like i think then there really isn't much you can do except spend more money upgrading it.

overdrive link :- http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

personally i think i'd take it back and let them have a look at it and if they can't fix it free of charge, then get your money back.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Thank you Terry for the post. I have been unable to conduct an overdrive test as the screens will not display even after waiting long periods of time.

I bought the computer from Overstock.Com.

Here is the description right off the receipt:

HP DC7800 2.66 GHZ 4GB 1TB Win 7 Minitower PC (Refurbished) - HP DC7800 MT C2D - 2.66/4096/1TB/COMBO/W7P(64 bit)

Initially it browsed like normal, then it seemed to get really sluggish at certain times of day (I'm on Time Warner Cable Wireless). Now it will hardly browse at all.

I have unfortunately exceeded the 30 day return period, plus I obviously had to open the contents in order to use it = just to find out it may be crap.

So I don't know if I'll get any way to get a refund now.

It came with Overstock's Hardware Diagnostics test that said it passed all hardware and software diagnostics.

In addition I ran the PcMatic software and did two full scans already. In the tips the only software the scan says could be disabled from running every time is adobe.

The scans report no virus and claims that all issues were fixed. It is listed in the Top 46% now after starting in the bottom 42%

I emailed your customer service and they told me to go to Safe Mode with Networking, open PCMatic and then the Options gear. I checked Malware full scan and scanned my computer again, but this time with a full scan and not a quick scan. It did not report that it removed anything, but after I restarted computer in normal setting and went to browse internet, it has all be fixed!!!!!

I'm so happy as it was driving me crazy. Even my non browsing functions were sluggish.

Thank you so much for the more specific help through email with customer service.

does sound like malware was the problem even tho it never reported making any changes, glad it's all working good again anyway.

:b33r: