Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrHappyGoLucky12

How is this program different than a disk defragmenter?

How is this program different than a disk defragmenter? And if it does more than a regular defragmenter, are you aware of a freeware version of something that does the same thing? The Web site says:

The Symptoms: Your programs take longer to open and, once opened, they respond more slowly. When you have multiple applications running, you experience lockups or crashes.
The Problem: Over time, the many interdependent files that make up a program tend to drift apart and become scattered across the hard drive. This misalignment not only impacts the speed at which your programs can run, it also causes excessive movement of the hard drive, which leads to unnecessary wear-and-tear on your hardware.
The Fix: Program Accelerator™ uses a patent-pending calibration technology to determine which program files are misaligned and should be grouped together for the fastest possible access. Once the dependent application files are realigned, the result is more efficient startup and more responsive performance from all of your programs.

Untitled8.png

don't believe everything you read on the net and definitely never pay for any program that says it can speed up your pc. ;)

simple pc maintenance like cleaning out temp files with ccleaner every now and then is all you really need to keep a pc running just fine, you really don't even need to de-fragment your hard drive that often any more, newer file systems and larger hard drives with lots more ram more or less remove the slowdowns from years past where file fragmentation was a headache and major cause of pc's running slow.

an actual link to the program your asking about would of helped too. :P

system mechanic. :- http://www.iolo.com/products/system-mechanic/

:b33r:

seems to me this is a double post and really you should have kept on with the topic here :- http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/203472-is-this-program-legitimate-or-hype/

and by the way it is not different than any other disk defragger, it does exactly the same thing even tho it might organise the files slightly different when it is defragging the hard drive.

nothing that would make your pc run any better than any other disk defragger.

if your experiencing any slow downs of your os the cause is much more likely to be an over full hard drive and no amount of de-fragging will cure that, you'd need to add more storage and create more space on the os drive by moving or deleting files off it.

Thanks! Just double-checking! Well there are three different programs. And iolo.com has partnered with Sony customers to just sell those three specific programs to Sony customers without buying the complete System Mechanic program, so I made a post for each program and didn't mention System Mechanic, which includes over 50 programs; that''s why only those three are in the screenshot.

I've only ever bought Acronis True Image and Perfect Disk before. Other than that:

• Update antivirus software
  • Spybot Search & Destroy & Malwarebytes
  • CCleaner
  • Windows Update
  • Disk defragmenter
  • Back up valuable data
  • Run a complete virus system scan
  • Remove unnecessary startup programs
  • Software updates

Acronis True Image like any good backup program is worth buying because they actually do something you need, as for Perfect Disk that's just another program that is just a waste of money in my opinion.

what about it? it's just another program that in my opinion makes unrealistic claims to speed up your pc and is definitely not needed to keep your pc running just fine.

main difference with that one tho, it's also an anti-malware program so might be worth buying for that capability, but again in my opinion no i wouldn't buy it even for it's anti-malware capabilities.

If I had to guess I'd say it sounds like it might be ordering the files on your disk by their file name. UltraDefrag (open source) and MyDefrag (if I remember) offer these capabilities if you dig into the documentation a little.