Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fjordgirl75

ASK toolbar then loads of issues

I stupidly forgot to uncheck the ask toolbar when I updated java.

I quickly went on a help page (malware tips) and deleted toolbar, did an adwclean scan, malwarebytes and hitman pro.

But since then i've noticed my computer doesn't seem to want to click on links/most popular sites - nothing happens and this is unusual. Even typing directly into search bar can take ages and nothing happens. It took me three attempts to get to your web page.

Could there be something residual left behind?

Thanks

Claire

Did you go into Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features and uninstall the toolbar? If using Firefox or Chrome browsers have you checked to make sure it's removed from the "Add On's"? It's likely that there is something left, so I would try and download Revo Uninstaller FREE from here > http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

Install it and then run the program, it will open a window that shows everything installed on your PC, highlight the toolbar if shown and select to uninstall it. When prompted select to use the "Advanced" method of removal and then follow the instructions CLOSELY. If Revo doesn't find it you can just uninstall Revo through Control Panel...

:geezer:

I used programmes and features. Just to clarify what is happening now almost all the time. If I click on a link or type in the task bar I just get the spinning disc and the page never materialises.

I will try the thing you suggested but it may take some time.

I use internet explorer (not chrome etc)

thanks

Hi it was in the logs database but not the all programmes. Does this mean it is still there?

Thanks

Also I have AVG and noticed mcafee there also - should I remove mcAfee?

thanks

You need only one anti-virus running on the machine, two will "fight" with each other for control. I'd uninstall the McAfee. Open Internet Explorer and click the little gear thing (Tools icon) in the upper right corner, select Manage Add-On's and ensure that the toolbar is not shown. if it is, uninstall it there.

:geezer:

All done - still some delay when pages are loading - spinning circle thing but I just reopen IE. I have Java x2 in teh add ons section and adobe - is that okay?

Also Trusteer in programmes - not sure what this is

thanks

I have Java x2 in teh add ons section and adobe - is that okay?

Let's make sure you have the latest version of Java. An update came out 2 days ago.

https://www.java.com/en/download/

With this version it will also ask you to allow the uninstaller to run to remove the older versions not needed now and that are still exploitable.

When downloading and installing, remove the check mark by adding ASK toolbar or the McAfee scanner.

Update today I got the error message configfree task tray menu has stopped working. Not sure if this is connected?

Maybe there is an compatibility problem between the ConfigFree and the external USB modem.

In my eyes you have two options:

1) uninstall the ConfigFree Utility

2) keep it on the computer but disable it from running in the background. You could click right on the small ConfigFree icon in the taskbar to close it while trying to use the USB modem.