Sign in to follow this  
SebastianWhite

Downloaded an EBook Reader... However many unwanted progs came with th

There's confusion here!

As I said Juliet previously please, it has been said more than once, that I am not listening, well I've stated the below - it is AdawareCleaner, and explained "specifically "where I have the questions about AdawareCleaner:

So I've run AdWareCleaner or whatever tis called, and had some limited success; Malware Bytes, with ticking 'rootkit' options, not detected anything!!!

I did take a copy of MalwareBytes results, but do not know how to post in here (seemingly you can from what you Juliet have demonstrated, but I've tried to right click paste - with no success?), but think it would be of little purpose in any case, as it seems this showed no results?

I did also carry out an sfc /SCANNOW which recorded some results, which it apparently fixed?

* Looking further into System Restore... in the meantime.

Edited by SebastianWhite

no need to post the log if nothing was found,

you would have to open the tool, look for the History button....then locate the date of the Applications Quarantine logs for last scan run.

How do you feel about running an online scan?

Reason I ask is because they can take a couple of hours to start and finish, then more depending on how full your system is.

I don't have a problem with this, but I wonder as to progress?

However also my questions with the tags, which has not been addressed, and these areas - cleaning each of these areas?

I did speak of 'this' specifically previously; I understand you are trying to help; however, when people are reproaching myself for not following their instructions, when at times... it is down to themselves not reading these entirely and missing a piece.

Can you refer back please, to 'precisely' what I am referring to - Juliet, and then we are not wasting each others time?

Thanks Sean

also my questions with the tags, which has not been addressed, and these areas - cleaning each of these areas?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean. I'm trying to follow and understand.

Different areas of your computer were not scanned by all the tools so it is hard to know if anything else would be or will be tagged?

There are tools and scanners that could be used but they follow the same format of the ones we've already tried, and your computer did not respond well to those.

I do know that we always ask people to run an online scan to check these areas and for remnants that might be left behind.

How, do I paste in here a print screen Juliet - then I could show you precisely?

Basically, when you get the results for AdawareCleaner there are different tabs, and there are different result for each tab - said all this before - me thinks...

In any case please, do I go through each of these tabs, and 'clean?' So for example I've cleaned everything under the first tab, but not 'registry' where if I go to this tab, it is asking me to clean?

However, somewhat confused, as you advised myself to do this Juliet, so I thought you'd be aware of the various tabs,

and features?

Please let me know... if I should go through these different tab areas and clean each area, these tabs represent?

when you run an AdawareCleaner scan, the page or window should load with things found.

Next, There should be a Clean button

Place or check the box by each found. This should include everything. yes it has different tabs but at this time it is not needed.

1. Hit the print screen button that is on the extreme top of your keyboard, third button in from the right. This copies the image to your keyboard (you won't be able to see it yet).

2. Open up any picture editing program that you might have i.e. paint, photoshop, ect. and open a new project (usually File > New).

3. Paste the image (Edit > Paste). You might also be able to just right click in an empty spot in your project and hit paste.

4. Save your picture. Click File then click on save. In the window that should come up, navigate to where you want your file to go and hit save.

5. Post it to PCPitStop. On your topic , look at the bottom of the page and click on More Reply Options. This option is on the quick reply tool near the bottom of most pages. Once you have done this you can hit manage attachments. Now click on browse and navigate to were your picture is located and select it and click open. Now you are ready to hit upload and your picture will be attached to your message when you post!

when you run an AdawareCleaner scan, the page or window should load with things found.

Next, There should be a Clean button

Place or check the box by each found. This should include everything. yes it has different tabs but at this time it is not needed.

Well I've cleaned the main area, and there is nothing else, unless I go to another tab... such as registry; it just seems I'd be better doing a system restore now?

We just do not seem to be getting anywhere fast!

Sorry just frustrated... I've found where to do system restore, but why on earth it is 'renamed' on Windows 8 - this makes little sense, and it is not easy to find.

However disconcertingly there are fewer restore options, so if I'm going to do this, then it'd better be quickly... because unless I'm getting this wrong, I think they'll expire otherwise soon?

I could do the registry cleaning with Adawarecleaner, but I don't really know what I'm doing, and there's too many issues not, from a blurred/lined screen to other compelling concerns.

Edited by SebastianWhite

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3443387/how-use-system-restore-in-windows-8/

Scroll down to

Use System Restore to fix your Windows 8 PC: restore a laptop to a previous date

the above article tells how to do a system restore to a point before the computer starting acting up.

And I'm being honest, those lines you talk about (blurred/lined screen ), to me it's saying your having a hardware issue.

Ok "trouble..."

I've applied the System Restore, does not seem to have worked... first I wished to take this back further really, but it did not give me this option, has less dates, than their prior version (unless I am missing something?) - so ~ Windows 8, in effect, has worse features... than Windows 7, what the hell is that about???

Additionally, I have 'regressed' this back with SR, and one of the programs it said it would remove, it has not... and let alone that the problems still stand in any case...

"All" the missing emails, and the blurred lines... I do think this is related to the problem - the latter issue, because when my computer began showing a "disc drive error" in relation to a similar infection - I suspect, previously, then no error could be found on this, despite scans?

Really, do not wish to be sending off the laptop for repair, but options seem to be limited???

This is urgent please???

Edited by SebastianWhite

I think at this stage you need to run a 'System Reset'. Make sure you back up all important files to an external drive before you do this.

This is the 'nuclear option' so follow the intsructions!!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1857531/reset-windows-factory-settings.html

This will restore your system to it's 'out of the box' settings and remove all traces of anything you have installed; including the windows 8.1 upgrade if you did it. So really ensure you make a note of all software you have installed and I say it again...backup all your files!!

Once this is done, apply the 8.1 upgrade from the windows shop; apply any necessary updates from windows update.

This will kill nearly all types of malicious software. It will certainly remove browser hijackers and searchbars etc. If you are still haveing issues with blurred lines etc that points to a possible hardware driver issue and we can look at that later.

Lets work on one thing at a time!! (I know they may be one and the same but if we can eliminate all the knowns we can then work on the unknowns).

Hi, thanks but I know how to do a 'full reset...' I just did not wish to do! I'll have to be more careful, what I download in the future - a "lot" more careful - me thinks!

In regard to Windows 8.1, I've read a "lot" of negative feedback, and this apparently does not even have a System Restore!

Really, wish Windows Microsoft would be more considered in regard to what they consider 'innovative' when it is again... more "I'll considered!"

My laptop just crashed again, while doing/writing this initially, so options are limited it seems.

It was a 'softonic' download or site, which apparently it seems caused these invasive issues!

Edited by SebastianWhite

Yep full reset is a pain!!

8.1 is fine and it will continue to get all the windows defender updates. There were some nice touches added to 8.1 and windows restore is still in there...you just need to create the initial restore point.

:tup:

Yep full reset is a pain!!

8.1 is fine and it will continue to get all the windows defender updates. There were some nice touches added to 8.1 and windows restore is still in there...you just need to create the initial restore point.

:tup:

Oh, I'd read on a forum System Restore was not???

So, this is the same set up, as before if this is the case... and is it better, I've read really bad reports?

'If' it is better, is there a chance I could download now, and perhaps resolve these issues...?

I'll do a System Reset otherwise?

Juliet, Nigsy, Terry, Hawaii Dave and all the others who have attempted to try to help me with this issue...

An "update" please:

Well, I took the plunge and went for the nuclear option - and took everything off, and reinstalled, 'but' and it's a big "but..."

On starting up the computer again, the first things was, the screen is 'still' rippled on the bottom left, and worse...

The previous "same" 'hard disc' errors are being reported as I had a month or so ago. Something is just not right!!!

On speaking to AdAware (who system protection I use, but is not too good) they... and some times, (please take note Mr Gates!) but they exaggerate to scare you into buying more services from them. But they have said, that my computer 'on viewing the error messages' and going through the computer logs, that they brought up on using 'remote access' had been compromised, and someone was trying to attain my information, and they showed myself on this list... where even my "motherboard~" had been tampered with via a second party?

A month ago, I sent my laptop away, and well, the hard disc, keyboard, CD Drive, and even the screen has been replaced, but now I've done a full reinstall, which is a blinkin' pain, and I'm still having the ruddy problems???

Any advice please, as to what is the source of the problem...?

Taking the laptop back, well there are personal difficulties in doing this...

However, I 'am' prepared to look at all options!!!

Thanks Sean Sebastian White :facepalm:

Edited by SebastianWhite

Steer clear of remote access reports from anyone...even a legit business like Adaware are in it to sell you stuff.

I really sounds like you have a 'Lemon' of a laptop; that's the source of your problem and if it's under warranty I would take it back; any parts that have been replaced maybe under their own warranty even if the main laptop isn't.

That is the only course of action I can recommend to you as you have multiple problems that seem to be hardware related (not caused by any virus/malware/search bar) and these things need to be replaced.

I got nothing else I'm afraid.

A month ago, I sent my laptop away, and well, the hard disc, keyboard, CD Drive, and even the screen has been replaced, but now I've done a full reinstall, which is a blinkin' pain, and I'm still having the ruddy problems???

like nigsy said sounds to me like they did a poor job and your problems are hardware related.

take it back. is the best advice.

:b33r:

In regard to the 'ripples' in the corner of the screen, this was replaced by someone else - is this a screen fault or could it be related to other hardware issues???

I'm not getting the error reports any more, after a "windows update" but this removed some files, and programs such as CC Cleaner, how would I go about recovering these please?

I've also mysteriously lost 230 or so 'new' emails, which disappeared before my eyes a few days ago...

Can someone one also tell me please... why is it when I download a new image to my 'desktop' that this is distorted?

Never seems to take please?

I just wish to find the best way forward... with these unremitting issues.

Well, the good news is... that the spell check does work on here, but not on the AOL browser!

Edited by SebastianWhite

ripples in the corner of the screen could be a screen fault (damaged i'd say.) but could also be a bad cable connection or something between screen and motherboard (not likely in my opinion.).

just reinstall the programs, ccleaner can be had from here :- http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

how are the pictures distorted?

i'd try another viewer to see if the problem is with the picture or windows photo viewer itself.

like this one :- http://free-photo-viewer.software.informer.com/

no idea what happened to your emails, and why i always leave a copy of mine on the email servers as well as downloading them to my pc, so can't help you here.

i'm really getting frustrated with you seb,

just because you can see it perfectly on a web page in your browser doesn't prove or help diagnose anything.

the picture your downloading isn't the picture on the web site, it's just a copy of it.

it's this downloaded copy that may be corrupt and causing the distortion.

it may be that it's in a format that your windows picture viewer has problems with so causing the distortion.

it may be you've changed some settings in the windows picture viewer that are causing the distortion.

who knows? :shrug:

i certainly don't.

i don't even know what this "distortion" is, maybe it looks squashed and just needs to be resized. :shrug:

you can usually rule out some of the may be's tho if you at least try and answer questions put to you and follow the advice already given instead of making your own conclusions and thinking the advice and questions are just a waste of your time.

when in truth the fact is it's the people who try and help you that are having their time and effort wasted. :pullhair:

like i said download and install a different picture viewer and see if the picture is still distorted, i don't care what program or where you get it from, but at least then by trying a different program you can cross off 1 of the may be's and rule out the windows picture viewer program itself as being the problem.

the program itself can be un-installed as soon as your finished testing with it.

if possible give me a link to the picture so i can download it and see what it looks like on my machine, and describe this distortion your seeing to me as best you can please.

Edited by terry1966

Well I do not understand Terry...

I've gone into Google Images before, and these are supposed to be downloading as a 'wallpaper!'

it's this downloaded copy that may be corrupt and causing the distortion.

it may be that it's in a format that your windows picture viewer has problems with so causing the distortion.

it may be you've changed some settings in the windows picture viewer that are causing the distortion.

There's no point in saying this, how do I fix the problem if this is the case, and it just seems to be part of the litany of problems with this ruddy laptop - presently???

How are people 'wasting their effort' Terry... Jeez? I've followed all the instruction pretty much implicitly...

I do not see it as being my own personal fault, that these not resolved the problems.

Ok the last suggestion was "constructive;" here is the link please:

This "firey & icy Earth" picture please???

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=space+google+images&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address&tbm=isch&imgil=vTtGwlQrFJS6RM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcRbAxY748nwk8LXJYojmBfxi6bo1byQdqnFhHnEDyVAnNlZ71wc%253B600%253B381%253BJWvpRZA6QxAeBM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.socialtechpop.com%25252F2011%25252F07%25252Fprivate-companies-pioneer-space-race%25252F&source=iu&usg=__RGTMAN-sUxCHCGqtwoy2F6waxOo%3D&sa=X&ei=b_tbU7rHJISUPI7EgRA&ved=0CDMQ9QEwAA#q=space+google+images&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address&tbas=0&tbm=isch&tbs=isz:l&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=-6AsYz5Ty1kjyM%253A%3B7XL3C92lWTCf7M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffoundwalls.com%252Fwallpapers%252F2012%252F11%252FEarth-Fire-Space-854x960.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffoundwalls.com%252Fearth-fire-space%252F%3B960%3B854

Thanks... as I said, I've not had this problem before, just been simply able to set an image as background for my desktop!

And if 'anyone' can offer any suggestions; they're always gratefully received?

Let me know, your findings please...?

Thanks Seb

Edited by SebastianWhite

There's no point in saying this, how do I fix the problem if this is the case, and it just seems to be part of the litany of problems with this ruddy laptop - presently???

the whole point of saying that seb was to try and show you, we can not fix a problem unless we know what the cause of the problem is, and to find out what the cause of the problem is, you have to follow certain diagnostic procedures to help us narrow it down, then and only then can we help you try and fix your problem.

I've followed all the instruction pretty much implicitly...

I do not see it as being my own personal fault, that these not resolved the problems.

have you? what were the results of trying a different picture viewer? and i still have absolutely no idea what this "distortion" is or looks like because you haven't told me.

if you'd follow instructions and answer questions instead of getting defensive then maybe it wouldn't have come to this conclusion but i'm sorry to say i'm not willing to waste any more of my time (posting replies and searching for answers takes up MY time.) trying to help you, when you can't even follow the simplest of instructions or provide any constructive feedback, no matter how bluntly you've been asked then told to do so.

and to be totally honest with you i'm still not sure you have any software problems at all, and may have hardware problems like a bad hard drive, even tho you say it's new.

with any luck someone else will take over and try and help you but i've run out of patience, so will not be of any further assistance to you with any problems now or in the future.

wishing you all the best with your endeavours to fix your pc problems.

ps as a last gesture, i download the 1900x1200 picture from here

http://foundwalls.com/earth-fire-space/

and it looks fine to me on my pc.

and just for further info, you want to be careful downloading wallpapers because they are a good source for malware. https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=iJVcU4mqIo3R8ge_mYCYBg#q=wallpaper+malware&start=10

Fix: Cannot change desktop background in Windows 7 | 8

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/cannot-change-desktop-background-windows

Edited by terry1966

OK.

I've downloaded the image as well. When applied to my desktop background and settings are 'Stretch to fill' the Earth is no longer round; is this what you mean by distorted?

Maybe apply the image again and try playing with desktop background settings?

Or apply 'as is' and take a screen shot and post that back in your reply.

Like Terry; I believe your issues are hardware related and you unfortunately have compounded the issue by getting some kind of malware infection at the same time.

I really advise taking the laptop back to the person who repaired it last time.

**Edit:

Use the link provided by Terry for the picture.

http://foundwalls.com/earth-fire-space/

Open the page; click on the picture; it will open in a new window. Right click on the opened image and 'save as'.

The resolution is better (1900 x 1200) as opposed to 960 x 854 that you have linked to, this could be the issue and the cause of the distortion. **

if that's the distortion seb's talking about nigsy then all he has to do is choose the picture resolution that corresponds to the screen resolution he's running.

they are all listed there below depending on the size/shape of monitor

so if the monitor is a 5:4 and the it's resolution is set at 1280x1024 then that's the link you click on and download.

that's not really a problem tho, and just a case of knowing what size picture you need in the first place.

i was thinking the problem/distortion wasn't anything to do with what it looked like when set as a background, but what it looked like after he'd clicked on the downloaded file on his desktop and it was opened by windows picture viewer.

Edited by terry1966