Sign in to follow this  
rgsmile

Can Hardrives be swapped?

I have a Dell/Vista on its last leg and would like to put the Vista hardriveinto a HP PC. Will this work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

probably not, but it's possible. if the hp system has similar or same hardware then the chances are decent.

only way to know is to try.

if it does work, you will need to update drivers for the new system.

Edited by badbinary

In googling around for this stuff, it said that most times they will not work do the the OEM ,if not the same, won't recognize the other OEM. Whatever that means. Another place said it could be done with a re-install, or setting second drive as slave. I've never done this and am not sure if it wouild be too complicated for me to do it. My main problem is my emails do not export properly, as I noted in another post.

It can be done but I think with the box "on its last leg" your at high risk of losing data due to physical errors on the hard drive media. In my opinion it is not a good choice to continue to use the hard drive as the primary OS drive.

I think your better off solving the problem with your email store.

Thanks, oftentired, and I tota;;y agree, but no one has addressed that problem. My post has not been responded to.

Moderator, please close this post. I'm going to post it differently with another option. Thanks! rgsmile

Edited by rgsmile