Sign in to follow this  
rgsmile

Can't export/import email-no properties

I re-installed win mail7, changed the window live mail to windows live mail-old, moved the vista win mail to the folder, closed those areas out, opened the new win7 mail, and all I get is a folder entitled "recovered items", but it is empty. Bah-Humbug.

moved the vista win mail to the folder

You didn't drop it into the win_mail_old folder? You did drag it into apps/local so you can now see both the new and old in the local directory?

Yes, they were both there. The old mail is really Windows Live Mail-old and the Vista was changed to Window Live Mail. I tried both ways by leaving it as Windows Mail and when it didn't work, changed it to Windows Live Mail.

Could it be that, even though the Vista Mail was, and has been, working fine, that somehow it is contaminated. Because, all I get is a folder entitled "recovered items", but it is empty.

I really don't know where to go from here.

I think I would be inclined to connect the Vista hard drive to the W7 machine so you can see it in windows file explorer and see whether dragging the files from the vista drive direct into the W7 drive would work.

So re-install windows mail in 7

Hook up the Visat hard drive

Open the windows mail folder on Windows 7

Open the window mail folder on the Vista drive

In the Visat folder press Ctrl +a (select all) and drag the entire contents of the vista folder to W7

If you get any messages about files already exist; i would just overwrite them.

That's my last shot......apart from installing mozilla thunderbird and using that instead!

(1) When you say, "Hook up the Vista harddrive", are you talking about using my external harddrive enclosure?

(2) When you say, "In the Visat folder press Ctrl +a (select all) and drag the entire contents of the vista folder to W7. Are you saying to drag the Vista Windows Mail into the Windows Folder, or the Windows Live Mail Folder?

So:

1 ) Yes either use an external enclosure to connect the vista drive to the new W7 machine or do what I normally do and just disconnect the drive from the old PC and just stretch a power and IDE/SATA cable from the new one across and connect the cables to the drive.

2) Open the Windows Mail folder (After another clean install) on the W7 machine; go to My Computer and open the Windows Vista Drive (no need to close the W7 mail folder) and find and open the Windows Mail folder on it...now select all; and simply drag the folder contents into the W7 Windows mail folder.

Nigsy, great news, somehow the recovered items folders has the emails. The folders are all named with numbers, but I can rename them. It will take a lot of time to go thru them all, but at least I now have them. So, thanks so much again for your help, patience and resolve. rgsmile