Sign in to follow this  
rgsmile

Can't export/import email-no properties

I have a Dell/530S/Vista/Windows Mail and I can export it as Windows Mail, but near the end of the process a popup comes up and asks, "do you wnat to continue without the properties", and I can say , Yes, or Cancel. If I say Yes, the export continues, but without the properties there is really no content there.

Is there a FIX FOR THIS, OR IS THE EMAIL ACCOUNT CONTAMINATED? Oops, sorry for the caps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm able to get into my emails OK, but it's exporting them, so that I can export them from the Vista Windows Mail to the Win7 windows mail.

With no "properties" transfering, the backup is empty. I wish there was a way to just transfer them, in bulk, other than using the export/import means.

I can forward them one=at=a=time, or using attachments, 10-20 at a time, but I have thousands of emails,, collected over many years.

Any ideas about how to restore email properties when they do not show up during the export process?

Or, how to completely move the vista/win/mail to win7 win/mail without using the supplied export process?

I have not tried anything yet.

When you say, "find your folder where the .eml message files are kept for Windows Mail"; I tried to copy/paste but it wont' work, so I made an attachment, but do not remember how to add attachment to this pose.

I have a Dell/Vista on it's last leg. The OS works fine, it's getting the pc to turn on that is the problem.

If I encase the Vista harddrive with USB2.0, 3.5" External Sub-System -BYTECC case, will it operate as though it is another hardrive?

Example: Would the mail feature work? Would I be able to read the old emails?

Thanks in advance for any help.

<>

It will work as an external drive.

Whether it will still be able to 'See' the email is a different matter. Is this related to your other thread about trying to export the emails?

Found this......looks like you have to do it in the correct order for it to work successfully.

Windows Live Mail has "Export" and "Import" tools in the File menu. (If you cannot see the Toolbar with the File menu on, press ALT+M, release, then press M by itself.)

Under File->Export, you'll find Accounts and Messages.

The messages can all be exported in Windows Live Mail format to another folder (which can be across a network or a portable drive of some kind). The accounts have to be exported one at a time.

Copy the Exported data (in the folders you specified) over to your new PC (or plug the portable drive into it) and then Import the accounts first, then the messages ... this will basically be the reverse of what you did to export them.

Once you're happy that everything is there, the folders you created when you exported the messages/accounts can be deleted - it was only a temporary place to store everything until you had finished importing it.

Thanks, nigsy, for the response. Yes, it is related, but if this would work and I could just read the emails, this would be OK.

Edited by rgsmile

I start the exporting ok, but as it is being moved to a storage folder, it does not move the "properties", so exporting is not working. And I only have one account with thousand's of emails, so I don't think this applies.

Try this...

For a successful export, follow these guidelines:
Set Windows Live Mail to Work offline before starting.
Create a temporary folder on your desktop to contain the exported messages.*
In the Export wizard, select the temporary folder and select All folders.**
When it's finished, check that the number of files in each folder within the temporary folder is one more than the number of messages in the corresponding WLMail folder.
Copy the temporary folder to its final destination.
If you use a non-NTFS removable drive to do this, you will see a warning that some file properties will not be copied with the files. This can be ignored.
* After a failed attempt, you must either empty the temporary folder or create a new empty one. Export will fail if the folder you're exporting to isn't empty.
** If you want to export selected folders only, select each one that contains messages. Sub-folders are not automatically selected by default.

I know it's for W7 but it should work with Vista.

I guess it depends whether you can set up Live mail to read a specific local folder and then point it at the old hard drive?

TBH; I've never used it so don't know.

Nigsy, I followed the instructions in one of your other posts and was able to export, but when I imported into the Win7 WinMail, the import seemed to work, but I could not find the folders after import complete. They are not under "Imprted", nor any visible place.

BUT, when I tried to move a new email that had just come in to the win7 email, I noticed that all of the imported folders are listed in that area (move To). I can't figure out how to get them in the right place.

OK. merged the topics and it looks like we are getting somewhere with the original problem!!

I'll see what I can dig up....I don't use Windows Mail so it may take some time!!

Just found this on you tube....

This seems a much easier way to do it than using import/export; especially if you hook your old vista drive up to the new w7 pc; but you could also copy the windows live folder to a USB drive and do it.

He is confusing as heck. I went into u-tube for the "Comments" and they said moving Vista Mail should be the same. But the AppData I found is not the same. Can you tell me how to show hidden files and folders? I have forgotten and maybe it's in there.

I thought it would be exactly the same in Vista as in W7?

To show hidden files:

Start > control Panel > appearance > Folder options > Click View > Advanced Settings > Show hidden files & folders

Are you running 64bit Vista?

Found the hidden folders, thanks. Yes, 64 bit.

Found app data and will try to follow , but his video looks like he has both harddrives on the same pc.

Found the hidden folders, thanks. Yes, 64 bit.

Found app data and will try to follow , but his video looks like he has both harddrives on the same pc.

He does; it's dual boot.

For you copy the original folder to a USB drive and then copy it back from there to W7

He is so confusing. He mentions it could be on a usb drive, but doesn't say what file, or folder to copy. I'm going to take a break and clear my head and see if I can do better. If I could read the printing as to what he does, it sure would be helpful.

I think he complicates it by using drag and drop whilst talking about using a USB drive...but he's able to because he has a dual boot system.

For you: (If going down the USB drive route)

Step 1: On the W7 machine rename the folder in apps>local to windows_live_old (this is so it doesn't get overwritten and you can always restore it)

Step 2: Plug your USB drive/Thumb drive into the Vista machine and open it

Step 3: on the vista machine find the same windows live folder. Don't open it just click on it and drag it into the thumb / usb drive

Step 4: Eject it and plug it into the W7 machine and just open the USB drive

Step 5: Open the App>local directory where the windows_mail_old folder is located and drag the windows live folder from the USB stick into that directory so you will now have 2 folders in apps>local - windows_live and windows_live_old

You should be able to open the mail client and see the messages etc transferred across.

You can then delete the Window_live_old folder if you want.

Can't make it any simpler.....good luck!!

Thanks, nigsy, and I'll give it a try after an appointment I have. Congrats on doing the hard work, so that I can understand it.

Question:

I noticed when copy/pasting the Windows Mail from Vista to the USB drive, it again did not transfer the "properties", but when right clicking the windows mail upon completion in the usb drive, it had over 140 mb, so something is in there.

In the Win7 email I did make folders over the last few weeks to keep emails, but in the video the guy showed everything empty, he actually pointed this out. So, should I delete all of my folders, before attemptring the transfer?

You are re-naming the whole mail foldr to mail_old....the email programme will not see them. Remember his was a clean install.

Rename the folder in w7 and then open your mail client; if it is not empty either re-install it or delete the unwanted folders. Then do the move from Vista.

I'm in the process of re-installing the mail. Had an appointment this morning and won't be able to finish it up until I am free later today. Thanks for all your help, nigsy.