Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brownhornet

wireless speeds

i have cox cable for my internet and my speeds are 65mbps down and 10 up,the gateway as they call it(modem/router all in one) is hard wired in my room. my son is connected to the net via wireless and gets 25mbps down and 7 up. his wireless adapter is rated for up to 300mbps,now should he be seeing faster download speeds or is that just the way wireless works?

the adaptor is only half the equation, what is the router using/sending? wireless g? this might be the case if you have other devices connected to it that are wireless g only, so even if the router is capable of sending wireless n it may still only be sending wireless g.

no expert in this area tho, and a lot of things play a part, signal strength, interference, distance, etc. but that 25Mbps looks like a wireless g type speed to me and not a wireless n or a/c speed.

:b33r:

a quick way to test is, if the router is wireless n rated, go into settings and set it for wireless n only and not auto or b,g,n and then test his speed again, you may have to switch it back again tho for other devices to still be able to connect to the router.

here's some links you may find helpful. :- http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=374

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed

the only options i have are: 802.11 mode with 3 speeds to pick,300mbps is the highest and is selected. here is what i have hooked up http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/cable/gateways/cg3000-cg3100.aspx#tab-techspecs it is an N cable modem/router and my son's wireless adapter is N too. his adapter is in the room next to mine,literally less than 5 feet from the cable modem/router with only a wall seperating it. i just thought his would be a bit faster although not as fast as mine since it is connected directly to the wall/cable connection.

Brownhornet I would love to have a 1/4 them speeds I am on wifi here in the NC sticks and the best I can get is 2.25 mbps down and 1.50 up and thats a good day I would not know what to do with them speeds You are getting. On What you are saying I HAD the same problem and my hard wire always was faster than the wireless, but I found out that the wireless unit had interference from my tv wireless surround sound I turned it off and speeds went up.

Brownhornet I would love to have a 1/4 them speeds I am on wifi here in the NC sticks and the best I can get is 2.25 mbps down and 1.50 up and thats a good day I would not know what to do with them speeds You are getting. On What you are saying I HAD the same problem and my hard wire always was faster than the wireless, but I found out that the wireless unit had interference from my tv wireless surround sound I turned it off and speeds went up.

yeah i figured the hard wired would always be faster, on a side note: i got an email from cox cable and for 5 bucks more a month i can get a tier upgrade which is 150down and 20up!! holy heck