Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Linux most widely used operating system.

With its domination in the embedded device space, its domination of the smart phone market, and now its domination of the tablet market, and its domination in high end computing, and it's growing use on other PC related equipment, it is the most widely used and dominant operating system in the world.

It has captured 62% of the tablet market with it's closest competitor Apple losing market share and getting 36% followed up by MS at 2% the future is obvious. Yet so many still cling to old technology even when the future is so obvious.

http://www.muktware.com/2014/03/android-beats-ios-becomes-top-tablet-os-linux-rules/22051

Linux is on the roll and even soon to be acquired Nokia is adopting Linux-based Android. After conquering the smartphone space, Android is now dominating the tablet space. According to a new study by Gartner, “the tablet growth in 2013 was fueled by the low-end smaller screen tablet market, and first time buyers; this led Android to become the No. 1 tablet operating system (OS), with 62 percent of the market.”

Microsoft continues to lose both PC as well as mobile markets. Garnter found that “in 2013, Microsoft’s tablet volumes improved but share remained small. Despite Microsoft now acting more rapidly to evolve Windows 8.1, its ecosystem still failed to capture major consumers’ interest on tablets.”

So now Linux dominates the smartphone space, the tablet space and is also increasing footprints in ‘desktop’ space with ChromeOS.

https://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2674215

In 2013, the share of Apple's iOS dropped 16.8 percentage points as the market demand was driven by the improved quality of smaller low-cost tablets from branded vendors, and white-box products continued to grow in emerging markets.

Now all that said, I understand PCPitstop is a windows centric site and software that has been in development for more than a decade now, but how long before the reality of market trends and domination of linux based devices sets in and PCPitsop evolves into a company that tries to get a foothold on the future?

In my honest opinion companies that cling to one closed and proprietary system for too long are destined to fall by the wayside and be left behind.

wouldn't surprise me if pcpitstop already had an overdrive app in development just for the mobile/phone devices and their different os types. can't see rob missing out on such a huge market. ;)

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

domination of linux based devices sets in and PCPitsop evolves into a company that tries to get a foothold on the future?

this is really key here. frankly if pcpitstop isn't working to get into the android market, they're just a dying dinosaur.

BB even more important, while I said the future, the reality is that future is "now".

I certainly am not saying they should be walking away from the wintel world, the focus these days is not on wintel, it is evolving quickly, much the same way Linux evolves quickly.

However Microsoft is playing catch up, and doing a very poor job of it. They are losing market share in almost every segment of the tech industry, people who are not paying attention to that may well be sipping a Margarita on the deck of a sinking ship. ;)

10 amazingly stupid things the 'experts' will try to tell you about Microsoft

This one comes from the same crowd that’s been promising "the Year of the Linux Desktop” since dinosaurs roamed the earth. So adjust your expectations accordingly.

http://www.zdnet.com/10-amazingly-stupid-things-the-experts-will-try-to-tell-you-about-microsoft-7000026827/#photo

I'll just put this up...light the touch paper and walk away!!

ZDNET :rofl3:

Not a struggling division :P And here’s the kicker: the division promises to begin contributing to a positive bottom line for Microsoft immediately.

2.1% their on a roll now. :party:

As for

This one comes from the same crowd that’s been promising "the Year of the Linux Desktop” since dinosaurs roamed the earth. So adjust your expectations accordingly.

Well it has been the year of the linux desktop for me for 15 years now. As for the folks who struggle to access their email, or keep their computers from becoming infested/infected regularly they can keep their desktop. I'll stick with mine. See my signature please.

And here’s the kicker: the division promises to begin contributing to a positive bottom line for Microsoft immediately. As Microsoft noted in its required disclosures:

well i'd say that's true, seeing how they(nokia) are bringing out android phones. :laughing:

Edited by terry1966

This doesn't bode well.

http://techaeris.com/2014/03/04/crypto-bug-opens-linux-apps-eavesdropping/

Ars Technica is reporting that hundreds of linux open source packages could be affected by a new Crypto Bug even going as far as to say. This GnuTLS bug is worse than the big Apple goto fail bug patched last week. This is the second time in a week a major OS is experiencing these types of bugs. Heres what Dan Gooding of Ars Technica had to say.

This doesn't bode well.

maybe you should have read to the bottom of the article and seen it's already been patched.

not bad i'd say 1 day from reported to fixed, so how doesn't this bode well? :P

oops see bruce added a post while i was reading up on the bug, can't actually find gnutls26 on my system so don't think it was ever a problem for me either. :laughing:

Edited by terry1966

The article was updated between the time I posted it and Bruce replied. Good on the Linux devs patching it so quickly.

It may be true that Linux and similar systems may dominate but these are closed systems aren't they? I know that Apple and Microsoft with Windows 8 are closed in that you can only get apps through their online stores. Is it true you can only get Android apps through either Google Play or the Amazon Appstore.

Linux in the past took pride in that it and application development was independent of corporate forces. Linux on mobile devices goes somewhat against that policy. Developers although seemingly independent have to abide by the rules set forth by the likes of Apple, Microsoft and Google. If they do not follow the rules they are not allowed to play in these markets.

The upside I hear from Apple is that they can certify that the apps at their store will work with all their iOS versions. That can't be said for software for Microsoft Windows or even Linux on a PC. I can see the so called masses OK with that. For some of use that know what was like before we may miss the days when software was freely developed and distributed by anyone.

You seem to confuse Apple, Microsoft and Google "applications" with Linux the operating system..

Linux is open source. You can download the source code free of charge, look at the source, change it, alter it, do what you want with it, and release what you have changed.

That is far different than an application and the way a company chooses to distribute applications.

Is it true you can only get Android apps through either Google Play or the Amazon Appstore.

no, not in my experience.

all you have to do is go into settings and let your android device install from untrusted sources and then you can install android apps from anywhere, not sure if you can do the same on apple or windows devices tho.

and of course you can usually root the device anyway and install a different andoid os onto them that isn't automatically tied to any 1 or 2 trusted app stores, again no idea if you can do this with apple or windows devices.

nexus 7 roms :- http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets/top-six-custom-roms-for-the-google-nexus-7-50009354/

personally, i think just getting all your apps from a single trusted source like googles play store is a good security measure and is exactly how i get most of my software for my linux pc, from a few trusted repo's, but as mentioned the option is there tho if you want to install from other sources.

just had to show a mate how to install from untrusted sources on his new galaxy s4 so he could install a betting app, once that was installed tho i soon changed the setting back so he could only download from googles play store or samsungs own app store.

Edited by terry1966

You seem to confuse Apple, Microsoft and Google "applications" with Linux the operating system..

Linux is open source. You can download the source code free of charge, look at the source, change it, alter it, do what you want with it, and release what you have changed.

That is far different than an application and the way a company chooses to distribute applications.

No I am talking about apps. Microsoft requires that Windows 8 metro apps be obtained from their Windows Store. That is the same thing that Apple does.

I am aware of how Linux does things on PCs. I do not currently use Linux but I ran it for 10 years. I started with Slackware and ended with Fedora.

There have been both proprietary applications and open source applications since the very beginning. They can be installed through repositories, application stores, or manually. None of that is anything new.

In 1998 I was using IBM VIA Voice. A proprietary application.

I was never aware that only open source applications could or would be used or allowed in an open source operating system.

I guess I just don't understand the point you were trying to make.

Edited by Bruce