Guns

caintry boy

Hey Caintry_Boy Dave was just telling me about you and your wifes ordeal... Sure hope things are healing up for you.   I think you need some good juju to get rid of all the stuff going.   You haven't been digging in any Indian burial grounds have you?   Thanking about you guys... All my best. 

Sadly I'm having some major swelling in my leg and it feels "warm". I'm going to go back to the hospital tonite and get looked at. I'd rather be safe than sorry... :(

:geezer:

Well all the blood labs were good and the sonogram and doppler they did were great. I have good blood flow in the foot/leg and they say that the swelling is just to be expected, especially if I'm up moving around a lot.

I am home and happy! :)

Well sad to say that I had a follow-up appointment with the Dr today and I need more surgery. :(

I've been having problems with the three smaller toes on my left foot and one has to go. The fourth one (starting at the big toe) is dying due to no circulation. I go in  on Monday and should be home on Monday.

Wish me luck!

Seriously man, if the toes are getting to be a threat, you might consider getting the feet amputated. My dad had toe problems and by the time the quack he was going to got done with him, his whole legs were seeping fluids.

It's up to you, sir. What is more important - life or feet? If I know you at all, I know you choose life. Good luck caintry, always  hope the best for ya.

Thanks guys! I don't like the thought of starting to cut off body parts either, spooks me considerably.

I have a friend who got infection in his toe and had to have it removed, and on the other hand I know several people who started with a toe then the foot, next the leg and then *poof* they're not here anymore. Don't like that idea. :unsure:

P.S....good to see you again KurtBleach!

Ahhhhhh!

Okay, so off goes a toe, but now let's get back to the cause here.

Why on earth after all of the reworking of your plumbing is there still this issue with blood flow to the legs, feet and toes?

With all that you've been through and the meds you take, I gotta believe that your blood is thinner than water and slicker than the finest olive oil.

I don't understand this.  :angry: 

:) Y

Well according to Dr. after having the leg worked on so many times over the last 13 years you eventually lose blood flow to somewhere. For me, it's this toe. The rest of the foot seems to have good circulation, pulse at least and I'm glad of that.

I'm just hoping it doesn't go the way of my friends who've lost toes and gotten infection which spread to other toes which had to be removed and on and on to the leg and eventually cost them their lives. Trusting in GOD. ;)

The fact is... this is not directly related to the heart problems.  It's the diabetes. 

Everything snow balls, and the thin blood doesn't help that much.  Diabetics suffer from PAD.  Peripheral Artery disease.  This phenomenon, caused by high sugars, causes blood vessels to shrink.  Smaller arteries equal less blood flow, even with the thin blood because the capillaries shrink also to the point that they, basically, become worthless.  The thin blood equals lower blood pressure and lower blood pressure means the blood, even thin blood doesn't have enough pressure behind it to force it to the extremities.  Toes are the most susceptible. In extreme cases, fingers can also exhibit similar problems.

The snow ball effect goes something like this:  Over time, the diabetic develops numbness or nephropathy in the feet.  It becomes uncomfortable to do as much exercising or even walking.  They begin to sit more.  When a person is sitting they "pinch" bloodflow and reduce the blood pressure in their legs (and toes).  The "excessive" setting and the reduction in blood pressure/flow is manifested as water retention/swelling of the legs and feet.  Tingling is pretty normal at this point.  Sometimes the patient will notice they start feeling dizzy when then stand up after sitting for awhile.  This is caused by the higher pressure blood from the upper body rushing into the lower pressure or the legs and feet... thus quickly dropping pressure in the brain - which causes the dizziness.  Everything equalizes in about 2 seconds and the feeling goes away... except for, perhaps, a few stray artifacts in the vision that may last a few seconds more. Unfortunately, none of this is really reversible.  It's a bell that cannot be unrung.  You can't go back in time and not become a diabetic.  You just have to manage it.  I'm guessing that your doctors have given you exercises and advice.  Do what they say.  If they haven't given you specifics, you might want to ask.  My suggestion would be to make sure you never sit for more than, say, 45 minutes at a stretch.  Try to be standing and moving for at least 10 minutes out of each hour (moving is better than standing still). The moving of the muscles in your legs give them a better chance to move the blood through the extremities.   The better condition your muscles are in, the better blood flow is regulated.   If you need to be "down" for a sustained period of time, it is better to be lying down (preferable with your feet at least as high as your heart).  Not being folded at the hips avoids the "pinching" that causes the low blood pressure in the legs and feet.  Recliners are a little better than sitting, but not as good as laying with your feet up.

Well surgery was successful! The dead toe is gone and I'm home, although I have a considerable amount of pain. I have a wound vac attached that runs up my leg and straps around my waist. It's been a long day, I'll check back in later. ;)

2 hours ago, caintry_boy said:

Well surgery was successful! The dead toe is gone and I'm home, although I have a considerable amount of pain. I have a wound vac attached that runs up my leg and straps around my waist. It's been a long day, I'll check back in later. ;)

Glad to see you posted. Take care.

1 hour ago, Y kawika said:

All the best for your recovery, champ.

Yowzers, the things that you and Karen have been through................ :pullhair:

Thanks buddy! Sorry to confess that my lovely wife has a Dr. appointment about 100 miles away this morning and is being transported by our Pastor and a friend, HOWEVER, she neglected to take her morning medications before she left and doesn't even have any backups in her purse. She's in for a L O N G day!

Well, it'll get better! Thanking the Lord for pain pills this morning, my foot is really painful and my diabetic neuropathy is really acting up to boot, I've been fighting it for about an hour and a half but just succumbed and took a pill. At least it'll help the pain even if it does kick my backside and make me sleepy. *zzzzzzz

I know what you mean.  I'm no fan of those pain pills either, but when it's needed, it's needed.

Now, a good morphine drip........... well, that's about the only thing that I ever liked about going to the hospital for an operation or procedure ............ well, of course the nurses too. :bigsmile: