Sign in to follow this  
Guns

caintry boy

glad to see you home and well again caintry, do they know why you keep getting clots in that leg and is there anything they can do to fix it, what is it the 3rd time you've had a clot in that leg? i know you're on blood thinners and stuff but is there an underlying cause that you or they can do something about to stop the chance of a 4th clot? besides chopping off the leg. :laughing:

:b33r:

glad to see you home and well again caintry, do they know why you keep getting clots in that leg and is there anything they can do to fix it, what is it the 3rd time you've had a clot in that leg? i know you're on blood thinners and stuff but is there an underlying cause that you or they can do something about to stop the chance of a 4th clot? besides chopping off the leg. :laughing:

Yes they do Terry and there isn't anything that we can do to stop it. It's caused by the graft where the synthetic artery is grafted to the natural artery. It's normally caused by my blood being to thick which is a genetic thing that runs in my family...and others. Usually we control the blood with blood thinners, but this time I was right where my INR (thickness) is supposed to be so I'm baffled as to why I clotted off. It may be time to change blood thinners. I have a Dr.'s appointment coming up so we'll see what he recommends.

BTW, I've been doing this since 2004 and seem to wind up in the hospital every year or every couple of years. Always seems to be about the same, except for 2014 (right before my heart attack) and 2015 when I got a whole new synthetic artery and its about a foot longer than the old one. I'd hoped that I was about over these problems but Dr. told me the other day that I'd probably never be over them. :(

Gotta keep keeping on!

:geezer:

How's the legs feeling, CB?

You able to walk around okay?

Gotta keep the feet elevated and all that other good stuff?

Forced to sit back and stay put in the Lazy-boy chair and have the wife serve you dinner with a tray and a smile? :hug:

Glad you're back home, champ!

:) Y

sorry to hear there's nothing they can really do to stop them then, and just hope they come less and less frequently over time.

How's the legs feeling, CB?

You able to walk around okay?

Gotta keep the feet elevated and all that other good stuff?

Forced to sit back and stay put in the Lazy-boy chair and have the wife serve you dinner with a tray and a smile? :hug:

Glad you're back home, champ!

:) Y

Yessir, getting around just fine.

I try to keep my feet up as much as possible but I don't have a foot stool or ottoman.

It's been too hot and humid here for me to get out and do much so I camp on the couch and stay cool. I do the cooking so mama doesn't bring me much. ;)

sorry to hear there's nothing they can really do to stop them then, and just hope they come less and less frequently over time.

Hoping that maybe the Dr. will have some other ideas when I go see him on the 5th. ;)

I try to keep my feet up as much as possible but I don't have a foot stool or ottoman.

It's best to get them above the heart for periods of time. What works good is to lie down on the couch and put your feet up on the arm rest at one end. An hour like that does wonders. Much better than an ottoman.

It's best to get them above the heart for periods of time. What works good is to lie down on the couch and put your feet up on the arm rest at one end. An hour like that does wonders. Much better than an ottoman.

Well, I HAVE laid down before and put the one that swells (the left leg) up on the back of the couch. Definitely higher than my heart but it's a PITB to lie like that for very long. You're right about using the arm rest of the couch... ;)

i think drinking plenty of water and making sure you're fully hydrated helps, also just wondering if wearing tight socks during the day, the things they give you on long aeroplane journeys and when you're in hospital to wear might help too.

think they are called compression stockings.

Edited by terry1966

i think drinking plenty of water and making sure you're fully hydrated helps, also just wondering if wearing tight socks during the day, the things they give you on long aeroplane journeys and when you're in hospital to wear might help too.

think they are called compression stockings.

Terry I wear compression stockings nearly every day. I have about 5 pair now, all "knee highs", 4 pair tan/beige and one white. They help immensely. My fluid restriction is a PITB, but I manage about 48 oz. water/day sometimes more if I'm peeing alot. Dr.'s only want me to have around 1500 ml per day so I try to abide by that.

of course i'm no doctor but 1.5 litres of water/fluid a day seems low to me, i'd have thought you should be on twice that. is there a reason why they've limited you to so low a daily intake of fluids?

I retain too much water and have to take a high powered water pill to make my body expell it. Therefore the restriction. Like I said, on days that I'm "going" twice that, I drink more water. I wound up in the hospital once a couple years ago from dehydration and low blood pressure. Don't want that again! ;) i got severely dehydrated and it caused my BP to bottom out around 69/41 or the likes and scared me to death not to mention my poor Karen. Dr.'s have told her about a half-dozen times that I wasn't going to live. I keep getting lucky and my GOD keeps protecting me. ;)

It's all a concentrated effort, I watch my salt intake (calories and fat too), watch the water (water in/water out), work with Dr.'s nurse on the thickness of my blood and most times it works but sometimes not. Some day it won't work at all and I'll go to be with my son and other family in Heaven. Till then, I'm going to keep doing what I can.

:) :) :)

you'll be around for many years yet to come otherwise juliet will give you hell the next time she talks to you. :laughing:

Miss Juliet has not called me in forever! I miss that sweet Tennessee drawl... :bawling:

I hope your havin' a great day today and feeling fine and comfy .

olegin! Where have you been? We've been missing you around these parts...! How's everything in Pennsyltucky (:lol:) ? Actually I'm doing well, just came in from mowing and weedeating the yard and I aim to stay cool and comfy the rest of the day. ;)

Don't be a stranger...!

C_B, tonite I was looking for an answer about SS and read the thread about I_G's passing and then happened upon this one.

Reads like you've had quite an adventure over the last couple of years! If you are spending time outside with a weedeater

and mower you must be doing pretty good. Very glad to know it.

God bless you!

Doing pretty well stoneking, I can't complain anyway. Say if you get the chance slip out and pee on the Amax mine for me. :lol: I built a spur railroad track there in 1975. Needless to say I have fond memories of it... :rolleyes: